SoloRack v1.4 Seven new modules

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Multi in/out version allright - I did so already, and I kind of managed to send signals to it, but it seems like in Reaper there's always some dry signal passing through unprocessed in SoloRack.

Maybe the problem could be solved by issuing a "SoloRack_FX" version that registers as a VST effect, rather than a VSTi? This is what several vendors do with their synths, as it allows receiving audio even from "dumb" DAWs. Of course, this version would be basically the same as the VSTi, that is, still able to receive MIDI from host.

ladybugs wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:22 pm Multi in/out version allright - I did so already, and I kind of managed to send signals to it, but it seems like in Reaper there's always some dry signal passing through unprocessed in SoloRack.

Maybe the problem could be solved by issuing a "SoloRack_FX" version that registers as a VST effect, rather than a VSTi? This is what several vendors do with their synths, as it allows receiving audio even from "dumb" DAWs. Of course, this version would be basically the same as the VSTi, that is, still able to receive MIDI from host.
SoloRack successfully works as fx.
srfx.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

By the way you can also send and receive control voltage.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

student9v wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:50 pm
ladybugs wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:22 pm Multi in/out version allright - I did so already, and I kind of managed to send signals to it, but it seems like in Reaper there's always some dry signal passing through unprocessed in SoloRack.

SoloRack successfully works as fx.

Yes, I tried this setup too, but in my experience I'd get UltraAnalog dry signal leaking out of the chain. Not all of it passes through SoloRack. To see what I mean, try disconnecting SoloRack input or output modules from the rest of the patch. You should get silence, right? You'll get UltraAnalog dry signal instead. Now replace SoloRack by some other obvious effect - like ReaDelay, or something similar. Set it to 100% wet. You'll get no dry signal leaking out.

That's why I suggested that SoloRack should have two different incarnations: one to register as a VSTi (as it does now), another to register as a VST effect (like ReaDelay or any other signal-processing VST plugin).

ladybugs,

I see what you mean. There is a work around in Reaper. You have to side chain the dry signal to channels other than 1/2 (left/Right) because reaper seams to force these channels to go to the master no matter what, when the FX plug is a VSTi

Exp1.jpg
Exp2.jpg

My main test DAW is FLstudio and it works fine there. If Other people experience such a problem wth other DAWs too, then I can publish dedicated FX versions of SoloRack, though this would add 4 more dll files for each 32/64bit and Multi In/Out. Total there will be 8 dll files which may be confusing for people :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.solostuff.net

Thanks for getting back to me, S0lo.

I have reports of a newish version of Cubase (7 or 8 I'm not sure) not showing SoloRack in the list of insertable FX, but only in the list of instruments. So, no aux bus use is possible at all. If the Cubase problem is confirmed, Studio One is another candidate to the same problem since as far as I know they have similar VST/VSTi implementations. Maybe I'll download a demo and try it out. I don't know how many users have actually tried using this beautiful beast as a signal processor, so there might be more glitches that do not get reported.

By the way, I doubt the presence of more files could actually confuse people interested in modular synths! Especially if they are named explicitly (_FX.dll, _FX_multi_in_out.dll, etc.)

I finally got to test it in Cubase Elements 9. Your right, it doesn't showup in the effects at all. I'll publish an dedicated effects build soon, since this is a major DAW, I guess no need to wait.
www.solostuff.net

About the dry sound in reaper:
No problem here, in bitwig.
Best
YY

Ok here it is: http://www.solostuff.net/wp-content/upl ... FX1.31.zip

Just unzip and place the files in the folder where you installed SoloRack (Default is "\VstPlugins\SoloRack"). This will be automated in the next release. Obviously you don't need this if your DAW is OK with having a synth act as an effect.
www.solostuff.net

Great, thank you!
I will give it a try tomorrow.

The FX version works great, both 1in, 1out and multiple in/out. Tested in Reaper and Studio One demo. Great plugin, perfect for unexpected, creative uses :tu:

Thanks for telling, good to know
www.solostuff.net

I'm still testing. I noticed an uncomfortable moment for automation. There are a lot of parameters, and it is unclear what parameter that automates. Only numbers.

The reason there are so many generic nameless parameters is because there is no way in the plain VST system to define a dynamic/variable number of parameters, which obviously a requirement in modular. So the only way is to use a FIXED large number of parameters and then reuse them differently for every patch.

Since your using Reason, click on "Remote" then click on the knob/control you want in solorack. A window will show up telling which "P##" you just selected. From there you can move your MIDI controller knob/control to map it.

Generally speaking, most DAWs have a way of telling you which parameter is which knob/control.
www.solostuff.net

It is clear. I'm used to VST and MidiLearn with СС.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”