vurt modular update alpha two

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use the touch plates on the Pressure Points and Rene quite a bit. Pressure Points can be a sequencer, when used with the Brains expander. But even when I'm doing stuff on guitar, I'm pretty hands-on with the synth. Rene is great because it has independent clock inputs for the X and Y axes, it's really easy to get sequences that never seem to repeat by feeding different clocks to those inputs. Use one channel of maths as the master clock and the other as a clock divider, then modulate the rise for the second channel to modulate the clock division for more complex rhythms.

This is how I have my Shared System setup now:
and the 3u expander I use with it:

The Seq1 is what I use to create more complex sequences (stuff I would need to recall later) but it's also great for more generative stuff. That said, I usually combine sequences, from multiple sources, either using the O&C or the Doepfer Precision adder.

I'm not saying that is the way to go but it's certainly a way to go.

The synth parts of this peice were generated by the Shared System and 0-Coast, using the Rene, Pressure Points+Brains and Seq1 for sequencing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXg-aeATWzo
Drums were from the system behind me.

But you can get interesting generative stuff from a much smaller system. This piece was done with just 3u and a Filed Kit and a few outboard effects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnTzU63-Y4c

ill check the vids tomorrow, bit late to be playing them loud enough to hear any detail :hihi:

does look like a pretty funky set up all together though :tu:

vurt wrote:
justin3am wrote: Just be comfortable with the idea that there are so many options out there, you may build out a synth only to decide months later that you need to rethink the whole thing. You won't know until you have it in front of you.
not only comfortable with the idea, but that's part of the charm.
I feel like you have the right idea with all this -- between this part, and knowing that you should start with more than one oscillator, and knowing that more control is better than more voices. :D

aint my first rodeo ;)

:hihi:

Oh yeah, I forgot that you have a Bug Brand modular, right? Do you have any Frac stuff to go with it or just the Bugs. Bananas?
That's a pretty different world from euro but the core concepts translate. You just have to be more aware of the different voltage ranges which different companies use/expect.
Also, Euro is generally less tolerant of mixing outputs passively. If I remember, you can do some passive mixing (stacking a bunch of outputs on a single input) with the Bug Brand systems (as with Serge systems) but that's not a good idea with Eurorack.

yeah ive got the bug brand modular, nothing else with it. well, i have a home built sequencer that's runs with it, but only basic, one output, 8 steps.

i have looked at continuing the frac system, but to be honest, the modules don't seem to be as many and varied. well, there just seems to be a few more exciting ones in eurorack.

and yeah, so far im ok for matching voltage ranges, I did notice a few that said they weren't compatible with others as I was looking through the choices.

and yes, i can stack cables on the bug, but other than the odd time i have to many voices for mixer space, i don't so much these days. although it can yield some fun results cross pollinating oscillators and feeding them back to themselves.

so it begins!
finally got around to ordering something, had to organise it so it was a day id be home all day :)
so tomorrow I receive a grand total of ...
one module :lol: my tg one :)
missed the deadline to get some other bits for tomorrow. so hopefully over the next week, things will start coming together :D

need to update the modular grid image as after advice here and many a youtube hour a few things have been decided.

right, so far, you may notice, lots of space, where the make noise stuff was. this is because, as i expected, its growing :o
ive decided to add the make noise Cartesian set up to the rack pictured here.

the top row is all definite choices, the bottom row is mainly place holders, with possible purchases within.
ill still be putting an output on the big rig to add to the Cartesians output, giving me multiple fx chain options. also, im assuming the sends for the fx will function as outputs? doesn't matter if not, im sure ill have enough eventually.

then the space, that's for making decisions once i get more idea of whats missing.

vurt wrote: so tomorrow I receive a grand total of ...
one module :lol: my tg one :)
:)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

it was bound to be the beginning :hihi:

tg one is here :)
make noise cartesian rack inbound.
issues finding stock for some of my chosen modules but will order the mantis now too.

the cartesian is both here and pretty effin cool :o

vurt wrote:the cartesian is both here and pretty effin cool :o
From the studio pics thread it looks like you got your Mantis as well?

yeah, arrived yesterday, with a doepfer sto oscillator and wasp filter :)

TG ONE + wasp = :hyper:

:hihi: :hihi:

Return to “Modular Synthesis”