vurt modular update alpha two

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:I cant work out what's changed versus the first one?
Mrs Smith at number 32 has had to change her number due to the heavy breather calls.

the first had banks of 8 basic osc and filters, replaced with fewer but more interesting options.
also swapped the sequencer and added the maths and rmx for some interesting cv manipulations.
it was only after exporting the screenshot i realised it overwrites the file. should grab a copy of each for arecord. luckily the first was more about testing for initial space so no great loss.

oh and pink knobs on the wogglebug :hihi:

vurt wrote:
the first had banks of 8 basic osc and filters, replaced with fewer but more interesting options.
also swapped the sequencer and added the maths and rmx for some interesting cv manipulations.
it was only after exporting the screenshot i realised it overwrites the file. should grab a copy of each for arecord. luckily the first was more about testing for initial space so no great loss.
Ah, its the same filename as before, so my browser was showing the old version from its cache.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
vurt wrote:
Ah, its the same filename as before, so my browser was showing the old version from its cache.
ha the opposite to my experience!

Definitely in agreement with urs on the adsrs. if you are not controlling with a variable length gate (like a key press) the sustain is unused and the release is basically a duplication of the decay portion. A trigger into an ad will give you plenty of control, bonus points if it has eor/eoc like maths as these can be used to trigger the next ad for infinitely complex envelopes. those doepfers don’t have cv control over the stages, which is pretty important imo.

I’d also suggest that 2 lxd’s might be a bit much, great modules but a bit short on control, I’d swap one out for a more controllable lpg, an optomix if you want to stay make noise but there’s a bunch of vactrol lpg options from other manufacturers too.

cool thanks 8)

ill check out other options before i pull the trigger :hihi:

Worth looking at the alm pip slope as that will do the ad thing, the Adsr thing and with the loop function some lfo duties as well. Pretty cheap and small

And have a look at the nlc lpg. You’ll have to build it, but iirc you can solder better than me. Buchla inspired and the resonance control is added fun. I built 2 and popped them in a single panel to save a bit of hp.

My Dual nlc lpg next to an lxd

Maybe it doesn’t fit your budget, but if I was starting from scratch right now, I’d probably just get one of the pre-built Make Noise systems.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

zephyr wrote:Worth looking at the alm pip slope as that will do the ad thing, the Adsr thing and with the loop function some lfo duties as well. Pretty cheap and small

thanks, ill check that one out :tu:

deastman wrote:Maybe it doesn’t fit your budget, but if I was starting from scratch right now, I’d probably just get one of the pre-built Make Noise systems.
id not seen those, im not sure i fancy the all-coast, its a bit too complete if you get me, im more in to the idea of building a less closed system, being able to decide as i go along what i feel like adding, as cool as this system might be for some, its not what im after.

theres a couple of smaller ones, a concrete rig and cartesian rig, those do look interesting as additions to what im getting here. although i notice a few modules that are already in my rack, so maybe that plus the mantis case, as the cartesian system gives a full synth, which i could then expand on in the mantis rack...

im not sure if they have other options, those are the only 3 aside from the 0-coast i could find for sale on a quick search in the uk.

it is something to consider :)

Though I have several ad-hoc Eurorack systems that I built over the last 10 years, my Make Noise Shared System is the instrument I use the most. Mine has been customized to some extent, adding an Erb Verb, MMG, Function, Morphagene and a 3u expander for more sequencing and control options.

I started with an all Doepfer system and still have a real soft-spot for single mfg systems. Part of me thinks that I would have happily started with the Shared System but there was a whole journey from where I started with the Doepfer system (2008), to the point where I was when I sold half of my euro franken-synth, to purchase the Make Noise system (2014).

I would definitely recommend the Shared System, to a beginner or skilled synthesist. It's an amazing instrument. However, I would also recommend the journey of building your own synth, discovering what it does well and what it doesn't do so well.

Just be comfortable with the idea that there are so many options out there, you may build out a synth only to decide months later that you need to rethink the whole thing. You won't know until you have it in front of you.

justin3am wrote: Just be comfortable with the idea that there are so many options out there, you may build out a synth only to decide months later that you need to rethink the whole thing. You won't know until you have it in front of you.

not only comfortable with the idea, but that's part of the charm.

for the shared system, already i can see id need to swap out pressure points, cool module im sure, but i want a machine i can set free running, then play guitar. i really don't get any use from the touch points on the bugs system for that very reason, but that's my sequencer on there as well.

here im looking for a more in depth seq than a 4x4.
the rene looks pretty cool though 8)

Return to “Modular Synthesis”