vurt modular update alpha two

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

just a sketch, the numbers of osc/filters is more important (at the min) than specific modules.

sequencing will also come from externals.

i think, i either need to cut back on osc/filters a little, or add a third rack for some more utility bits. cv mixers/clock divider.
but, i would be interested to hear opinions of course, so long as you realise about the only thing set in stone is that this is happening. how big it gets is irrelevant :hihi:

nuff talk, more pic...

alpha two
Last edited by vurt on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

If you're dead-set on the AIR WAV, I think its discontinued. But its actually just a clone of the Music Thing Radio Music.

I guess those SEM filters are just placeholders, but if you get the chance, see what you think of the Wasp Filter that Doepfer do. And also the various Polivoks filter clones.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

yeah aside from the tg one, circadian rhythms and the wogglebug, everything is just generic place holders, judging a rough estimate on space needed for the initial purchase of the case. i know that will change as i looks at specific modules as some are bigger than others, but, i gotta start somewhere :hihi:
otherwise i wont get around to it.
same with the air wav, i just grabbed the first radio type thing that popped up as id seen that kind of thing on yt so was interested in the type rather than specific module.

I guess you would want a MIDI in and some buffered multis to feed those oscillators?

not to keen on midi in tbh. oscillators will be sequenced via circadian rythyms and beatstep pros. as well as occasionally free running for massive wall shaking bass drones :love:
but yeah, some buffered or otherwise multis and other utilities will probably make things more interesting.
i think eventually, were definitely looking at a minimum third row :lol:

not so worried about effects either. will have that covered on the floor.
but what could be interesting is an in/out send return style thing for said pedals :)

Ah, so more a drone / drum box than a malady player? So you can get around with just passive multis. To integrate pedals, you may need some attenuators, to get signal out and some amplifiers to get it back in, or some dedicated modules, like A-119.

You’ll do better asking the question on Muff’s.

Of course, the great thing now is that you can play around with these ideas in VCV and decide if you’ve got the right set of modules before buying anything.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

yeah, i saw a couple of dedicated modules for the pedals while sketching the system. i hadn't even considered that before :)

more drones and rhythmic drones than drums :o
but not so much melodic, i want to create a backing for me to play guitar over.
the current bug modular gets me part of the way where i need to be, but bugs stopped his modular production and so i need to look elsewhere to fulfil my needs.

deastman wrote:You’ll do better asking the question on Muff’s.

Of course, the great thing now is that you can play around with these ideas in VCV and decide if you’ve got the right set of modules before buying anything.

ill drop it on muffs when im more set on specifics, otherwise ill be overwhelmed with responses and not know where i am :lol:

good idea with the vcv though! hadn't even thought of that, but again, i think that's more to help narrow down specific modules.
for now im really just looking at a rough estimate for the initial case purchase, obviously can add more space later, but want to make sure that i have enough to get at least most of the way to the system in my head.

not like im going to buy all the osc and filters in one go, but would be good to be able to get something going and still have space to expand if i see any second hand bargains, rather than have to wait on another case turning up :hihi:

VCV isn’t (yet) a comprehensive clone of every real module. But what it will do for you is if you think maybe you want to make drones with a couple of oscillators and a filter and some VCAs or whatnot, you can try that out and see if it lives up to your expectations. Once you decide that you really do want a wavetable oscillator, you can start to narrow it down based on specs, space, and price.

Speaking of space, TipTop is going to get the the best bang for the buck in terms of cases. Either the Happy Ending Kit for a bare minimum enclosure and power, or Mantis for a decent tabletop case with plenty of room.

yeah the mantis was kind of what i was thinking for starters, just wasn't an option on modular grid :)

probably will have to add at least a happy ending though :lol:
space seems a bigger issue than price :lol:

vurt wrote:yeah the mantis was kind of what i was thinking for starters, just wasn't an option on modular grid :)

probably will have to add at least a happy ending though :lol:
space seems a bigger issue than price :lol:
I just picked up a Mantis case myself. One warning though- the far left and right spaces on the bottom row are kind of shallow, because the legs fold up into the case there. Plan accordingly with modules that aren’t as deep in those spots.

Zombie Queen wrote:Ah, so more a drone / drum box than a malady player?
Nah, I definitely think it'll be a malady player.

Melody on the other hand, Im not so sure about. It is vurt after all. ;)

:o
:hihi:

Zombie Queen wrote:A To integrate pedals, you may need some attenuators, to get signal out and some amplifiers to get it back in, or some dedicated modules, like A-119.
I have a couple of these
http://www.doepfer.de/a138d.htm

Return to “Modular Synthesis”