alpha forever...upcoming modular synth

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Only 50 euro , that's a real steal !
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Hmm, no linear fm inputs for filters and osc's ?
Eyeball exchanging

The number and variety of modules is still very limited. It's understandable because the plug-in is still in its infancy, but I'd like to know what are the plans to expand this before committing. I already suffered a disappointment with Softube Modular.
Fernando (FMR)

Really tempting (perfectly priced!) but I'm forced to wait and see how AFModular evolves, especially on the GUI/UX side, which is the one, I'd imagine, needing more attention at this early stage of public release.

I'm glad to see zooming and window resizing as GUI/UX features, of course.

But I was hoping that it had container modules already (unless I missed that) and... also rooting for a different GUI philosophy.
Still need to get into a special mental state whenever using Reaktor's editor, so I'm not a fan of free-form style, with things allowed to go everywhere on an infinite virtual desk space, all with annoyingly thin wiring.

I'm more inspired by a Rack/LEGO/puzzle style of modular, where things are kept tightly together on a quantized space. Moog/Euro racks, VCV/Voltage Modular or the Reason rack are more appealing to me (not including Softube's Modular since that's an appalling UX mess IMHO, even though it's euro-rack based).

Free-form 2D block diagram based modulars always remind me of this style of electronic prototyping:
which end up turning into this mess, eventually:

Imagine if Moog or Doepfer didn't went the modules-in-a-cabinet design choice?

Even this guy needed some kind of container/enclosure to make his circuits usable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xosY6_gAx2M

So... I'm gonna wait, hoping AFModular will eventually replace many of my current virtual modulars :pray:

Koshdukai, check out the "designer" node. It can contain other nodes, keeping stuff tight and tidy. =)

Charlie Firpo wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:36 pm Koshdukai, check out the "designer" node. It can contain other nodes, keeping stuff tight and tidy. =)
oh, will do! I guess that's the thing I was missing. Thanks! :)

koshdukai wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:31 pm

But I was hoping that it had container modules already (unless I missed that) and... also rooting for a different GUI philosophy.
I think it's called the 'designer ' module
https://www.afmodular.com/nodes/designer
Eyeball exchanging

:wink: I dream of wires...but I confess those dreams are always nightmares!
바보

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:13 pm
koshdukai wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:31 pm

I think it's called the 'designer ' module
https://www.afmodular.com/nodes/designer
For what I understood (correct me if I'm wrong) a "node" is like a Macro in Reaktor. It's merely a container for sub-patches. It may help to keep things cleaner, but isn't a replacement for the "rack" in VCV or Reason.
Last edited by fmr on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Thanks @all. I totally missed the Designer :)

Now, to see if I also missed a way to expose some of the internal controls :D

Edit: @gentleclockdivider: thanks for the link!
Last edited by Koshdukai on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fmr wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:36 am The number and variety of modules is still very limited. It's understandable because the plug-in is still in its infancy, but I'd like to know what are the plans to expand this before committing. I already suffered a disappointment with Softube Modular.
Hi Fmr,

Think formula parser, for example, try to connect an oscillator and a knob value to a sine formula....encapsulate it or make a complex modules. By this way, you can be able to make some phase modulation and other goodies:)
Best
YY

About the fm on the cutoff filter, it need a scaler Ui module for transform the audio rate signal, -1/+1 to 0 / 127.
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:31 pm
fmr wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:36 am The number and variety of modules is still very limited. It's understandable because the plug-in is still in its infancy, but I'd like to know what are the plans to expand this before committing. I already suffered a disappointment with Softube Modular.
Hi Fmr,

Think formula parser, for example, try to connect an oscillator and a knob value to a sine formula....encapsulate it or make a complex modules. By this way, you can be able to make some phase modulation and other goodies:)
Thanks. I'll try your suggestion, to see what I can come up with. But I'm afraid things like that are too much sand for my truck :-(
Fernando (FMR)

Just a heads up, the developers have released several videos with noding sessions on youtube. Very interesting stuff. And like WhyWhy said, they are very responsive and friendly. I highly recommend Alpha Forever. I really like the sound of it. 😀

Wow! How on earth did I miss this. The WWAYM boys are back!! :love:

This thing sounds incredible and has a really unique sound to it.. there's a sort of WWAYM softness to it (something that was part of the old plugins too). I very much like the sound of this.

Alpha Forever is already worth it's price simply due to the modified Griesinger reverb (originally by Nathan Wolek)! It is an absolutely beautiful reverb algorithm and is now properly available in VST plugin format due to Alpha Forever. Some of the compressors included are really good too so you are already getting very good value here.

.. and then there is of course the whole modular part itself. The UI is stil a bit rough around the edges and some functions can not be properly accessed from a DAW like Reaper (even with the "send all keyboard keys to plugin" option turned on). I reall wish undo/redo had it's own little icon somewhere that could be clicked as CTRL+Z and +Y does not work when in Reaper.

I also have not figured out how to copy and paste a bunch of selected blocks. I suspect they are under CTRL+C and CTRL+V but these too do not work in Reaper.

Also, how do I save my own complex designer blocks? It's really tedious to have to build them again for other presets.

Anyhow this thing has an incredibly potent future if they just work on it and polish the product. The very basics are already there.. the sound quality is simply awesome and the CPU usage is way lighter than anythin else out there (while still sounding a lot better than most).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Modular Synthesis”