VCV Rack

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Loopus Modules Sonus Modular treasure 0.5 treasure free bundle VCV Rack

Forgotten wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:30 pm
killmaster wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:43 pm V. 1.1.2 crashes and won't open in Mac OSX 10.14.5. Anyone else having this issue?
Sign up for the forum on the VCV site - I think there are a couple of other people posted something like this.
Thanks!

killmaster wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:43 pm V. 1.1.2 crashes and won't open in Mac OSX 10.14.5. Anyone else having this issue?
Fixed in 1.1.3.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:26 pm
overhishead wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:29 am I'm trying to open a VCV patch and it says that 4 of the modules aren't found but they are in my user modules folder. The VCV patch I downloaded is here:https://patchstorage.com/lets-build-a-g ... -vcv-rack/

Any idea why VCV would report so many missing modules that are already installed?
Two things:

1. VultModules and VultModulesFree (for example) have a lot of the same modules between both sets. However, if a preset was created in VoltModulesFree, VCV Rack doesn't see it by default if you only have the regular VultModules installed. You could either install the missing plugin pack, or manually edit the preset file in something like Notepad++ and change the "slug" so it can find them. This is also true if a developer modified the plugin name between the beta and final release.

Or...

2. Some of the 0.6.x versions of the VCV Rack plugins aren't able to read by VCV Rack 1.x. Again, by default. In many (but not all) instances, you can open the preset file in something like Notepad++, locate the module in question, and change the version number.

Unfortunately, 0.6x was basically a beta, and things have changed since then. As a result, old presets may take a little extra effort to get them working in the final release. The joys of using beta software...
The project was created in VCV 0.6.2b and I'm trying to open them in 1.1.3
These plugs aren't loading:

Dual Delay from MSM
Sssh from Southpole
squinkylabs-CHB from squinkylabs-plug1
ClockMultiplier from KlirrFactoryFree

overhishead wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:17 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:26 pm
overhishead wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:29 am I'm trying to open a VCV patch and it says that 4 of the modules aren't found but they are in my user modules folder. The VCV patch I downloaded is here:https://patchstorage.com/lets-build-a-g ... -vcv-rack/

Any idea why VCV would report so many missing modules that are already installed?
Two things:

1. VultModules and VultModulesFree (for example) have a lot of the same modules between both sets. However, if a preset was created in VoltModulesFree, VCV Rack doesn't see it by default if you only have the regular VultModules installed. You could either install the missing plugin pack, or manually edit the preset file in something like Notepad++ and change the "slug" so it can find them. This is also true if a developer modified the plugin name between the beta and final release.

Or...

2. Some of the 0.6.x versions of the VCV Rack plugins aren't able to read by VCV Rack 1.x. Again, by default. In many (but not all) instances, you can open the preset file in something like Notepad++, locate the module in question, and change the version number.

Unfortunately, 0.6x was basically a beta, and things have changed since then. As a result, old presets may take a little extra effort to get them working in the final release. The joys of using beta software...
The project was created in VCV 0.6.2b and I'm trying to open them in 1.1.3
These plugs aren't loading:

Dual Delay from MSM
Sssh from Southpole
squinkylabs-CHB from squinkylabs-plug1
ClockMultiplier from KlirrFactoryFree
Here's what you can do to try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Create a blank rack, add those modules, save a new 1.x vsv preset using the 1.0 versions of those modules - you'll need this for reference
2. Open that new .vcv preset you just created in a text editor
3. You'll see a bunch of things that look like this...

Code: Select all

{
      "id": 16,
      "plugin": "cf",
      "version": "1.1.0",
      "model": "MASTER",
...that's what VCV Rack is using to identify the plugin and module. Find the new modules in the text.

4. Now, save a backup copy of your original 0.6.2 VCV preset - you'll want the original unmodified preset because we're going to want a version we can hack and tweak and you can mess them up
5. Now open a copy of your old VCV presets in a txt editor
6. Compare these 3 fields wtih the 0.6.2 preset with the same fields for the same modules in 1.0 preset

Code: Select all

"plugin": "[XXXX]",
      "version": "0.6.2",
      "model": "[XXX]",
7. Edit the information in your 0.6.2 preset and make it read the same as the 1.0. versions
8. Do that for all the 0.6.2 modules from that preset that don't open in 1.0
9. Save your modified 0.6.2 and open it in Rack

This will usually work, but other times it just doesn't. Give it a shot. If not, the two versions may not be compatible, which I think may have happened in some rare instances.

that's a great idea, thanks

as it turns out there are plugins that don't work anymore in the current version.

overhishead wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:46 pm that's a great idea, thanks

as it turns out there are plugins that don't work anymore in the current version.
Yep, not everything has been converted yet. Some things won't apparently. Others have been picked up by someone else and rebranded (Apulzen became Repulzen). That said, I think there's over a thousand modules in 1.0 format already with more every week.

@ around 3:30 - lovely sounding metallic toms!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:57 pm @ around 3:30 - lovely sounding metallic toms!
Thanks man!
Meanwhile...new video!
https://youtu.be/EGTzWd4YP88

Does anyone know if it is true that VCV is planning to release a version of VCV Rack that is paid, and will work as a VST without having to use Bridge?

The only thing really keeping me from using is having to fiddle with Bridge - it's kind of annoying and ruins the fun of it for me.

That's why I just bought Voltage Modular. Ultimately though VCV is capable for incredible crazy stuff but actually using it is impractical for me. I would LOVE a VST version that doesn't need bridge. I'd definitely pay for that.

I think that is on the roadmap for v2.0

https://community.vcvrack.com/t/andrew- ... -2019/1230
"Shortly after Rack 2.0 is released in about a year, a DAW plugin version of Rack will be available for around $99. It will be a VST2 plugin, and perhaps a VST2/AU/AAX plugin unless there are major roadblocks with any of those formats."

I also couldn't wait anymore and bought VoltageModular Core (+ $200 worth of additional modules, actually) in the meantime. it's a very good modular ecosystem.
I honestly like VCV modules better (and visual style much better), but Voltage's daw integration makes it a real pleasure to use.

I far prefer VCV but I agree Cherry Audio's take is pretty great. There just aren't enough modules.

I'm a bit put off by the closed source on the DSP and stuff, and their documentation isn't very good at all. But you can actually get up and running immediately and it's very usable. And actually the designer is pretty easy to use besides the poor documentation and hidden source code. You'd think they'd realize hiding the source is pointless, but whatever.

If I were VCV I'd be going for the f**king throat on this and rushing 2.0 to market and pushing that shit out as fast as possible - I think their product is better. I don't know why they don't take it more seriously.

VCV Rack is actually downright mindblowing once you actually start learning it. I've worked with Max/MSP and Reaktor and made my own stuff with Python and C++ but VCV has created an ecosystem that is so easy to understand and work with.

Reaktor is awful, in my opinion. I like the premade Ensembles but I have no desire to commit to learning how to make stuff there, that's just me.

Max/MSP is just... why not just learn how to code your own stuff at that point? If you're going to fiddle with some complicated code in the first place, you may as well just learn a real language and build VSTs.

VCV Rack is the best option right now. Voltage has the one up because it's... usable. That's the whole point of musical instruments. To make music.

So long as VCV isn't actually trying to be a full blown serious piece of Software, a real instrument, it's handicapping itself. I'd love to commit myself to VCV and embrace it entirely. In fact, my heart is begging for it. I just can't justify it with the whole "bridge" nonsense, come on guys. Come on now.

Your question is answered in the FAQ. https://vcvrack.com/manual/FAQ.html#is- ... n-for-daws
mxbf wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:24 pm If I were VCV I'd be going for the f**king throat on this and rushing 2.0 to market and pushing that shit out as fast as possible - I think their product is better. I don't know why they don't take it more seriously.
We do take this seriously. However, this takes time. We have spent roughly 200 of the estimated 400 hours required to develop a DAW version which offers a similar professional experience as the standalone version.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

Return to “Modular Synthesis”