VCV Rack

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Loopus Modules Sonus Modular treasure 0.5 treasure free bundle VCV Rack

vortico wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:30 am Hmm, did you set the number of polyphony channels in MIDI-CV?
Where do I set this? It does play polyphonic, just not MPE...

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:07 pm
vortico wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:30 am Hmm, did you set the number of polyphony channels in MIDI-CV?
Where do I set this? It does play polyphonic, just not MPE...
Right click the MIDI-CV module. There are two settings: Polyphony Mode (sounds like you found this setting if you're getting Polyphony at all - use the MPE option), and Polyphony Channels (set this to 16). Make sure at the top of the module you've got the Roli selected with "All Channels" set there too.

I also have a Roli Rise and haven't used it with VCV Rack yet so I have no idea if there are issues our it just works as expected out of the box. Just remember: there are Velcotiy (Strike), Pitch Wheel (I'd like to see this renamed Pitch Bend personally), and Aftertouch CV outputs, so you'd have to assign them to do something in a particular patch.

Slide (the up/down motion) is also transmitting CC74 by default, so I assume you'd have to include MIDI CC module to turn CC74 to CV (hopefully everything remains MPE/polyphonic). There's also no release velocity (as far as I know) in VCV rack, so right now, we may just be out of luck with using that as a modulation source.

I think the ideal-case scenario would be if someone created an MIDI-MPE to CV module that was catered to the Roli just to make the setup a bit easier. Sort of like a Core/MIDI type module for MPE. I'd think that would be possible due to the open source nature of VCV Rack. Maybe Roli themselves would be open to doing it, or more likely, a user with some programming skills.

Thanks for the explanations. It works basically. Drawback is the combination of pitch wheel with the pitch of the notes. I have to sum them, which results in a pitch bend range of 60. That isn't a problem with my LinnStrument. I can set it o that. Then it does only listen to cc1, which I can also set in my LinnStrument.
MIDI 8 MPE actually isn't polyphonic, but combines the PW and notes automatically and listens to cc74...
I actually set up the Midi 8 MPE device with 5 Merge objects and that worked fine, but needs lots of cables and more rack space.
I can confirm that Midi-CVs MPE implementation is somehow workable... A dedicated MPE-CV would make sense though...

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:15 pm Thanks for the explanations. It works basically. Drawback is the combination of pitch wheel with the pitch of the notes. I have to sum them, which results in a pitch bend range of 60.
If you're getting too wide a PB range, you can probably workaround that. I had a patch recently where I wanted to get an exactly 2 semi-tone range and was able to use an attenuverter plus a Tuner module to fine tune the PB range.

Yeah, times 0.4 would adapt it to my standard 24 semitone... Is there a simple polyphonic multiplier?

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:58 pm Yeah, times 0.4 would adapt it to my standard 24 semitone... Is there a simple polyphonic multiplier?
In the patch I made a few days ago, I was using pitch bend to do a +/-2 semi-tone bend. What I ended up doing was routing PitchWheel to VCA2, which is polyphonic, then used the Level as attenuator to set the depth. One output of the VCA went to a tuner to help dial in the range, another output went into the V/Oct input of an Osc.

Just one way of doing it I guess.

After selling off a bunch of modular last year, I thought I was going to be able to use VCV Rack only to take care of my urge to patch. But, I just couldn't resist the urge to buy some more Eurocrack!

I will say though, I'm so happy this exists and that there are companies like Mutable and Starling that offer their modules in a digital format so you can try before you buy. I only wish more companies embraced this.

I'm trying to open a VCV patch and it says that 4 of the modules aren't found but they are in my user modules folder. The VCV patch I downloaded is here:https://patchstorage.com/lets-build-a-g ... -vcv-rack/

Any idea why VCV would report so many missing modules that are already installed?

missing modules error might be due to module version mismatch

V. 1.1.2 crashes and won't open in Mac OSX 10.14.5. Anyone else having this issue?

Thank you for the info. Looking forward to trying it.

overhishead wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:29 am I'm trying to open a VCV patch and it says that 4 of the modules aren't found but they are in my user modules folder. The VCV patch I downloaded is here:https://patchstorage.com/lets-build-a-g ... -vcv-rack/

Any idea why VCV would report so many missing modules that are already installed?
Two things:

1. VultModules and VultModulesFree (for example) have a lot of the same modules between both sets. However, if a preset was created in VoltModulesFree, VCV Rack doesn't see it by default if you only have the regular VultModules installed. You could either install the missing plugin pack, or manually edit the preset file in something like Notepad++ and change the "slug" so it can find them. This is also true if a developer modified the plugin name between the beta and final release.

Or...

2. Some of the 0.6.x versions of the VCV Rack plugins aren't able to read by VCV Rack 1.x. Again, by default. In many (but not all) instances, you can open the preset file in something like Notepad++, locate the module in question, and change the version number.

Unfortunately, 0.6x was basically a beta, and things have changed since then. As a result, old presets may take a little extra effort to get them working in the final release. The joys of using beta software...

killmaster wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:43 pm V. 1.1.2 crashes and won't open in Mac OSX 10.14.5. Anyone else having this issue?
Sign up for the forum on the VCV site - I think there are a couple of other people posted something like this.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”