New Reaktor Buchla-based modular synth: Lyrebird

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well ... ermmm ... wow !

However, and I don't want to sound ungrateful, translating between the front and back panels of the Maths II module and a certain well known hardware module is somewhat challenging to say the least (not being in possession of said hardware module, only its PDF manual that you have referred me/us to in the sales email).

I appreciate that the key to all that lies in the selectors but I am pretty lost TBH. Could we have a little documentation?

Good to see you here Matt - welcome to KVR :)

No doubt there will be more manuals, as well as new example snaps from Matthew.

And I'm pedaling as fast as I can in hopes of being able to do at least some surface-scratching videos soon. These things are DEEP, not just duplicating already complex devices but translating them to Blocks logic AND adding more features all over the place because you can do that with Blocks.

One important thing to keep in mind—at least for me it's been a help—is that the 8 I/O's along the bottom of each of the new devices are hardwired to particular functions above (as in LB)…but not labeled so, yet. You can of course mix these with anything else you can jack in, or dial out the hard connection completely…just to make everything as flexible (ie, complicated) as possible:)

This video is an excellent intro the hardware Maths:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QqcLtHR9tg

David wrote:No doubt there will be more manuals, as well as new example snaps from Matthew.

And I'm pedaling as fast as I can in hopes of being able to do at least some surface-scratching videos soon. These things are DEEP, not just duplicating already complex devices but translating them to Blocks logic AND adding more features all over the place because you can do that with Blocks.

One important thing to keep in mind—at least for me it's been a help—is that the 8 I/O's along the bottom of each of the new devices are hardwired to particular functions above (as in LB)…but not labeled so, yet. You can of course mix these with anything else you can jack in, or dial out the hard connection completely…just to make everything as flexible (ie, complicated) as possible:)
I will look forward to anything you produce David and thanks again for your efforts so far.

The pointer about the I/Os is helpful - "not labelled" being crucial. I was staring at them, knowing that modulation was going on, but not really understanding.

Re the video - I watched that one already, and a couple of others!

Cheers.

lnikj wrote: Re the video - I watched that one already, and a couple of others!

Cheers.
So, you know what I mean about translation/added features! Doesn't make them easier, but more potent for sure.

David wrote:
lnikj wrote: Re the video - I watched that one already, and a couple of others!

Cheers.
So, you know what I mean about translation/added features! Doesn't make them easier, but more potent for sure.
Sort of. I haven't got the 1:1 mapping sorted in my head yet *because* (I think!) of the added features and complexity.

It is deep, as you say; a learning curve about as steep as the Eigerwand.

To get rolling with the built in snapshots, hook the Note In gate out to Shared Sig and Shared Trig. There aren't too many added features. Mostly ones to make patching some common feed back techniques easy. For examples of this, check out the ADSR and Quadrature patches. They also use the four macro or "mac" knobs in the bottom right to control the parameters. In the ADSR patch you can see how the MAC1 knob controls both rise times for a proper attack shape without having to line up two knobs separately. That is essentially the patch process. Make a complex modulation, then assign the macro knobs to control it easily. I'm still waiting on a snapshot savable text area as that would be perfect for putting above the macro knobs.

The bottom row of sources is laid out in a very straight forward manner this time. Sources 5 to 8 are the four macro knobs. Macro 1 lines up with source 5 and macro 4 lines up with source 8. Source 1 is function 1. Source 2 is Sel2. Source 3 is Sel3. Sel is just short for "selection". Finally source 4 is function 2. As you an see, all of the knobs line up. Sources 1 to 4 are then able to be processed by both Mix1 to Mix4 and Or1 to Or4.

From there you can decide how you want to do cross patching. You can do it with the internal routing or by using the included Mix Matrix block. The Sel2 and Sel3 knobs are simply there to let you change the internal fixed voltages to a more usable source like Fall1 or Fall2 for triggering the other function when the first one begins to end. You can see this in use in the Quadrature snapshot. Much like in the ADSR snap, the MAC1 knob controls the position of all rise and fall knobs so that it is simple to keep the "ideal" triangle shape without having to manually change all four knobs at once!

That should be enough to get started. Let me know if there is anything in particular that is confusing. It would also be nice to know if you would like any updates to the current Lyrebird manual.

Part Three (MathematicalMKII+Flip Book):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6u4x2H ... load_owner

this is a great sounding Block.

i find the tiny knobs & right click modulation destinations are pretty finicky, & documentation could certainly be improved. besides that i purchased Lyrebird and hope to see the author develop the project further.

it would be neat to see the individual Lyrebird modules broken out into seperate Blocks with larger knobs, & without the routing.

Here it is, the new Lyrebird panel. Once I have more presets added, it will be pushed as the main version.
The knobs are over twice the size of the original, and there is no more right clicking to add modulation. Everything is done with left clicks. If there are any major gripes with the current look, please let me know. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Looks great Matt !

The new version of Lyrebird with a much larger GUI is now available as a free update to everyone who has purchased it. If you were holding off until the GUI update, you clearly no longer have an excuse. ;) This took a long time to make, but it was worth it as I have been getting a lot of great feedback from happy users.

This update uses standard Reaktor knobs for all 91 of the normal parameters and every single modulation attenuverter. This means that you can address all 819 parameters with VST host automation from your DAW. There is also no more right clicking. Modulation amounts are simply done with a left click now.

P.S. I went to buy this and it says its not currently for sale. Is it purchasable or gettable currently at all?

noppes Mister mathew has stopped developing for the reaktor platform , all his fomer U.L . instruments are also offline
He's now developing for the vcv platform
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Modular Synthesis”