New Reaktor Buchla-based modular synth: Lyrebird

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MFXxx wrote:This needs a GUI overhaul. The knobs are far too small to work with!
I just attended Matthew's video feed and I think that this pretty much locked in. He is very committed to the Blocks format and this leads to 22*22px knobs unfortunately.

I have crappy eyesight but this definitely seems a tool to find a way to work with.

It would be liveable if it allowed me to map it to a controller but it doesn't.

aMUSEd wrote:It would be liveable if it allowed me to map it to a controller but it doesn't.
You can't drag and drop MIDI CC#s from the browser to the knobs the way Matthew was doing?

lnikj wrote:
MFXxx wrote:This needs a GUI overhaul. The knobs are far too small to work with!
I just attended Matthew's video feed and I think that this pretty much locked in. He is very committed to the Blocks format and this leads to 22*22px knobs unfortunately.

I have crappy eyesight but this definitely seems a tool to find a way to work with.
Can you use screen zooming?

David wrote:
lnikj wrote:

Can you use screen zooming?
Yes, I have been. It would be good if Reaktor was scaleable. NI are dragging their heels there though; even Arturia figured that one out after years of complaints.

lnikj wrote:

Hmm I see, that's a real shame. It really is too small for the number of parameters and knob assignments.

Ive purchased anyway, not a lot of money and I do have use for it. But on a hires screen. Im sorry I really cant recommend this.

For example load "On deft Dreams" patch.
Point the mouse on the V1under the SEQ/SRC1 and try moving it.
Painful.
To get it from hard left to hard right, requires a lot of mouse movements. Around 4-5 button to screen top moves to get it there.
However, if you drag the mouse all the way to the bottom of the screen you suddenly get the wide sweeping arc. This is right.
Fine with no sound flowing, way to finicky and erratic for when sounds are playing and speaker boom.
The only way I can see with any of the knob parameters to get a wide arc movement of the knobs. Is to hold the mouse button on the knob, move the mouse to the bottom of your monitor (about 10 inches down) and the wide arc movement kicks in.
This is not ergonimcally or user friendly!

Ita s nice looking GUI, what it does is great. Just the drivign experience is awful. Just my opinion.

Now if I could zoom in on the modules like in the video...great. ;)
Not spitting on it, just a warning to prospective buyers.

David wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:It would be liveable if it allowed me to map it to a controller but it doesn't.
You can't drag and drop MIDI CC#s from the browser to the knobs the way Matthew was doing?
Kore uses host automation not midi cc

MFXxx wrote:
lnikj wrote:

Hmm I see, that's a real shame. It really is too small for the number of parameters and knob assignments.

Ive purchased anyway, not a lot of money and I do have use for it. But on a hires screen. Im sorry I really cant recommend this.

For example load "On deft Dreams" patch.
Point the mouse on the V1under the SEQ/SRC1 and try moving it.
Painful.
To get it from hard left to hard right, requires a lot of mouse movements. Around 4-5 button to screen top moves to get it there.
However, if you drag the mouse all the way to the bottom of the screen you suddenly get the wide sweeping arc. This is right.
Fine with no sound flowing, way to finicky and erratic for when sounds are playing and speaker boom.
The only way I can see with any of the knob parameters to get a wide arc movement of the knobs. Is to hold the mouse button on the knob, move the mouse to the bottom of your monitor (about 10 inches down) and the wide arc movement kicks in.
This is not ergonimcally or user friendly!

Ita s nice looking GUI, what it does is great. Just the drivign experience is awful. Just my opinion.

Now if I could zoom in on the modules like in the video...great. ;)
Not spitting on it, just a warning to prospective buyers.
Did you watch the Those Knobs video I did? The knobs are velocity sensitive, so it's easy to do full sweeps really fast right up next to the knob, plus long slow precision movements starting at the knob. Not immediately obvious or intuitive but easy to get used to, I found…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx5IcvOhEUM&t=9s

aMUSEd wrote:
David wrote:
Kore uses host automation not midi cc
Doesn't work using Bitwig's mapping system either. I can learn it to a midi controller but that only allows me to map 8 knobs max at a time, not the whole instrument, nor does it make it easy to save that setup.

I've worked through David's excellent videos now and spent some time messing around with Lyrebird.

It really is very good. At first the functionality of the knobs is quite hard to get your head round, and they are small and fiddly to operate (I haven't quite got the hang yet of right clicking and dragging on my trackpad). But once it starts to sink in you begin to realise what a clever solution it is for front patching within the Blocks framework.

lnikj wrote:I've worked through David's excellent videos now and spent some time messing around with Lyrebird.

It really is very good. At first the functionality of the knobs is quite hard to get your head round, and they are small and fiddly to operate (I haven't quite got the hang yet of right clicking and dragging on my trackpad). But once it starts to sink in you begin to realise what a clever solution it is for front patching within the Blocks framework.
Exactly what happened to me, too. Funny how it starts off seeming like a violation of Blocks usage and soon becomes the way you could wish all blocks worked!

(Well, "soon" assuming you can agree that a couple of days of concentrated attention and practice is "soon":)
I certainly feel the effort's been worth it.

Found a way to map it to Kore - the template is here if anyone wants it

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/564 ... mplate.ksd

That's cool; what was the secret?

The knobs are actually mouse areas which is why they aren't mappable but the real knobs are underneath, mostly hidden so inaccessible but by turning off the lock I was able to locate some tiny gaps where the underlying layer was exposed enough to be mappable, although still rather fiddly to get to as the gaps were miniscule.

Wow; I admire your dedication! Have fun:)

Return to “Modular Synthesis”