Softube Modular : Patching tips

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thx ImNotDedYet! :)

Regarding my post:
Novaliz wrote:Yes, there was also another small mistake. You have to put the "saw" output from the A-110 into the "CV in" input from the A 132-3 and the gate output from the A-140 into the "in" input of the A 132-3 :)
What is the difference between puting VCO out into "CV in" or "in" from the A 132-3? I checked some preset patches and they are varying between the two options. The only difference I can say as a noob is that when I cable the VCO out into the "in" I have to turn the gain knob to zero otherwise I hear a constant sound.

you misread my patch.... which is easy to do given the faded colours in the picture.
I took the saw out, to the IN on the A 132-3 , not the cv-in... the cv-in is coming from the envelope (a-140)

the cv-in is used to control the level of the vca, so "common" is as ive done, to put a control signal (e.g. env, lfo) into it,
with an env is 'common' to put the gain to zero...
gain, is used to basically offset the signal, or if you don't put a cv-in , then you can use the vca as an 'attenuator'

if you search on goggle you will find Doepher have manuals for all the modules online, they are really good... providing examples etc. recommended reading, as they will not only answer your questions, but given you other ideas to experiment with.

I'll leave you with one thought...
when I say common, rules are there to be broken in modulars...
so you could pipe a VCO output into cv-in, this would then attenuate the signal at audio rate of the in signal... this essentially gives you AM synthesis... try this, take one osc (sine) feed into vca in, vca out to main out. take another osc (sin) feed it into cv-in on the vca (set cv to max)... then play with the frequency of the second oscillators,low with give you tremolo, higher AM.
goes to show, no rights or wrongs, just different sounds to be discovered ;)

Sorry for misreading your patch :)
thetechnobear wrote: I'll leave you with one thought...
when I say common, rules are there to be broken in modulars...
so you could pipe a VCO output into cv-in, this would then attenuate the signal at audio rate of the in signal... this essentially gives you AM synthesis... try this, take one osc (sine) feed into vca in, vca out to main out. take another osc (sin) feed it into cv-in on the vca (set cv to max)... then play with the frequency of the second oscillators,low with give you tremolo, higher AM.
goes to show, no rights or wrongs, just different sounds to be discovered ;)
You are right! Modular is really like an adventure and I am standing at the beginning of it! Yesterday I was using Serum and felt kind of restricted. But in a good way. My experience so far: When I am in Modular I get some ideas for doing things in serum et vice versa :) It inspires me a lot and let me do things I was never thinking of 8)

Edit: And nice tip with the manuals. I downloaded all and read them. There are also some basic patch examples at the end of the manuals which is great! :tu:

I like to use the FX version for making bassdrums. I feed it a bassdrum sample which I run through a bandpass filter to keep only the high-mid frequencies, this filtered signal is used to trigger a second filter with the resonance cranked into self oscillation (the cutoff of which is modulated by an ADSR). You can then modulate the amplitude of the output with an ADSR, but this isn't necessary so long as you don't put the resonance up all the way on the second filter.. The whole thing is then mixed with the original bandpassed trigger. I also shorten the decay on the bassdrum sample so that only the attack portion gets through.

Basically what you end up with is a short attack sample triggering a synthesized low end and both getting mixed together. Then adjust the signal levels, cutoff modulation, and resonances to taste :), you can also use a bit of feedback on the filter for more body (be careful to keep the resonance low if you use feedback)

I get pretty tight kickdrums this way. It helps running the whole thing through a second modular fx instance with the blur preset or a compressor. You can also EQ the input sample (ie: a boost at 100-200Hz and a high shelf to brighten the attack). Then for post processing I run it through a transient designer for a bit more snap and XFER OTT to give the kick more weight.

I found a way to use a single envelope to modulate a single filter in a 4 voice poly patch. You need 3 logic modules to do it. You take the poly midi to cv gate outputs. Gates 1 and 2 go to logic module 1. Gates 3 and 4 go to logic module 2. Then you connect the or outputs from logic modules 1 and 2 to the inputs of logic module 3. Then you connect the or output of logic module 3 to the gate input of your adsr ie [(Gate1 OR Gate2) OR (Gate3 OR Gate4)]=>ADSR(Gate) and connect the adsr to your filter CV in.

What this means is that the envelope is only triggered when there is a gate signal(any voice), but the envelope only releases when there are no keys pressed. If you press a key, hold it then press another key at the same time, the envelope isn't triggered again and will remain at its sustain level. NB this won't work with VCAs- you still need one ADSR and VCA per voice.

In order to create feedback delay you need an audio mixer. Connect the output of your synth to input 1, connect the output of your delay to input 2, then connect the output of the mixer to the delay input and another output cable to the main outs or wherever. Control the amount of feedback with the input 2 knob. At the 1/2 way point, the delay goes on forever. WARNING- higher than this and it turns into a positive feedback loop and will blow up your monitors, so always make sure the level is set to the left of the centre point and make sure you have a safety limiter on your track.

To create an autopanner, you need 2 VCAs with one output connected to the left out and the other to the right out. You then connect the output of an LFO to the CV in on one of the VCAs, then you connect the same out to the input of a signal tool and then use the inverted signal out of that to go into the CV in of the other VCA. If you connect your synth to the inputs of both VCAs it should pan left to right and vice versa. You can also do this with the Korgasmotron crossfader ie with one filter connected to the left, the other one to the right and an LFO connected to the crossfade input.

I haven't yet worked out how to do static pans eg to pan individual voices in a unison patch.so if anyone has any suggestions I'd like to know.

Going to try these out jumped on the Modular bought everything apart from Heartbeat another day. I have been messing about with the tutorial ones getting the idea how everything is connected. I have been thinking about a Moog mother 32.

thetechnobear wrote:
if you search on goggle you will find Doepher have manuals for all the modules online, they are really good... providing examples etc. recommended reading, as they will not only answer your questions, but given you other ideas to experiment with.
Good call on the Doepfer manuals, this is with out doubt my favorite softsynth. It's a monster, the envelopes are really something else with this modular stuff banging toms, smashing kicks and bubbling analogue madness love it :party:
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

New Youtube 'series', which some may find helpful.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=467387
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

How do I control the VCA and VCF separately, from two different ADSR modules? :?

VCO - VCF - VCA - ADSR - ADSR

mkruse wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:15 pm How do I control the VCA and VCF separately, from two different ADSR modules? :?

Do it as though you were controlling them both from one ADSR, then disconnect the VCF and connect it to the second ADSR.

(Or am I missing something? this seems kind of fundamental.)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:19 pm
mkruse wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:15 pm How do I control the VCA and VCF separately, from two different ADSR modules? :?

Do it as though you were controlling them both from one ADSR, then disconnect the VCF and connect it to the second ADSR.

I see, I think I've been thinking about it wrong. My first foray into learning how to patch. I'm assuming the output of the ADSR is patched into either CV 2 or CV 3 of the filter. CV1 doesn't seem to have a way to attenuate the signal? Is this correct?

mkruse wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:08 pm

I see, I think I've been thinking about it wrong. My first foray into learning how to patch. I'm assuming the output of the ADSR is patched into either CV 2 or CV 3 of the filter. CV1 doesn't seem to have a way to attenuate the signal? Is this correct?
On the 108 VCF? No, its not got an attenuator on CV1. If you need all 3 CV inputs to be attenuated you could use use a mixer (CV or polarizing mixer would do I guess) before CV1, or perhaps even an Offset or VCA (depending on what you want to do)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:44 pm
mkruse wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:08 pm

On the 108 VCF? No, its not got an attenuator on CV1. If you need all 3 CV inputs to be attenuated you could use use a mixer (CV or polarizing mixer would do I guess) before CV1, or perhaps even an Offset or VCA (depending on what you want to do)
Thanks

Is there a "simplish" way to make a random arp with Softube Modular?

Return to “Modular Synthesis”