What are your favorite software modulars for audio rate modulations?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The whole setup of Reason is about a virtual rack. Most instruments and effects have CV inputs and, in addition to the instrument's built in LFOs and other modulators, there are dedicated modules to give you extra LFOS, etc.

The combinator opens up further possibilities. Far from just being a 'box to put stuff in and save them together for later use', it comes with its own set of 4 assignable rotary knobs, 4 buttons and 4 CV inputs. These can be assigned to control and (and multiple) parameters for the devices contained within. If that was not enough, often the Combinator will list out additional modulation sources for an instrument or effect which are not otherwise available.

So, basically, in Reason, anything can modulate anything else. There are ways to route audio signals to CV (and vice-versa). The results may have some aliasing, which typically disappear if you move up to 96kHz sampling speed.
Now that Reason has opened up to VSTs, it is possible to use Reason's CV routing capabilities to modulate parameters on most VSTs.

On top of that, Reason have introduced their own dedicated modular instrument (Complex). Which I have tried the demo and is pretty cool.
But in any case, Reason itself is (or can be) the biggest software modular system out there!...

XSRDO Analogy modulates everything at audio rate.

Kirsty :tu:

AlienXXX wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:53 pm The whole setup of Reason is about a virtual rack. Most instruments and effects have CV inputs and, in addition to the instrument's built in LFOs and other modulators, there are dedicated modules to give you extra LFOS, etc.

The combinator opens up further possibilities. Far from just being a 'box to put stuff in and save them together for later use', it comes with its own set of 4 assignable rotary knobs, 4 buttons and 4 CV inputs. These can be assigned to control and (and multiple) parameters for the devices contained within. If that was not enough, often the Combinator will list out additional modulation sources for an instrument or effect which are not otherwise available.

So, basically, in Reason, anything can modulate anything else. There are ways to route audio signals to CV (and vice-versa). The results may have some aliasing, which typically disappear if you move up to 96kHz sampling speed.
Now that Reason has opened up to VSTs, it is possible to use Reason's CV routing capabilities to modulate parameters on most VSTs.

On top of that, Reason have introduced their own dedicated modular instrument (Complex). Which I have tried the demo and is pretty cool.
But in any case, Reason itself is (or can be) the biggest software modular system out there!...
The whole point of modular software trying to mimick (analogue) hardware is that the cv signal are also running at sample rate .
In reason the cv rate is 1/64 of the actual sample rate, it has always been like that since reason 1 , and that is really not enough .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

bmanic wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:41 am Lately I've spent most time with VeeSeeVST (basically VCV Modular in VST plugin format).

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=507216

If you want a quick overview of what the install of VeeSeeVST comes with then this is a nice link:

https://mi-rack.github.io/catalog/gallery/

Almost everything on that list is included in the install.
Woah wait, the free vst version comes with all that stuff? That’s insane.

Yes. Almost everything in that gallery plus quite a few not found in that picture gallery.

828 precompiled modules at this moment.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:31 am Yes. Almost everything in that gallery plus quite a few not found in that picture gallery.

828 precompiled modules at this moment.
Do we have a thread on which are the best? I don't need 828 modules, but just want to whittle that down to a kind of "best of" collection without all the overlap. A community-curated VeeSeeVST list if you will.

My god. I guess I haven’t followed the whole vcvrack progress much but I thought veeseevst was a much smaller subset. Who has time to think about which module out of 800 is the thing they need? That’s crazy. I’ll have to give it a try. As above though I could use some suggestions on where to start.

the vcv program has a fb community that's quite big (so i hear)
maybe there would be a good place to start?

not sure how much "info" is contained in the two threads here with regards to pairing it down to the essentials.

softube modular is amazing

Never mind.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:35 pm My god. I guess I haven’t followed the whole vcvrack progress much but I thought veeseevst was a much smaller subset. Who has time to think about which module out of 800 is the thing they need? That’s crazy. I’ll have to give it a try. As above though I could use some suggestions on where to start.
Sorry can't help you there. I'm still exploring it myself and have had very little time with it. It's no doubt a huge package. Luckily the search function is really well done which makes the module amount seem less daunting than it is.

Created a separate thread for documenting favorite modules here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=524092

I bet its Bitwig 3 when it is released...

Aalto by Madrona Labs is still one of my favorites. Like ACE, it looks like a simple and limited instrument. But you can do things with it that no other virtual (semi) modular I've ever tried can do.

Unlimited ins and outs. Yes, you heard me. You want multiple inputs to a given jack? Just hook them up. Put spaghetti everywhere. Make recursive modulations. Don't stop until you get enough.

Then, with Aalto's 4 voices, you can use a mysterious little modulator called VOX to automatically spread whatever it modifies for each of the voices across a scale from 0 to 1. Connect that to sequencer rate, and the sequencer FOR EACH VOICE runs at a different rate. Instant polyrhythms. Connect it to the panning, and you've got 4 voices automatically panned across the stereo field. Pitch. Filter cutoff. Filter type. Like you've cloned 4 different patches but they're all related but they all have their own variations. Don't stop. Keep going.

These features have spoiled me for all the other virtual modulars - Reaktor, VCV, Reason, MUX, KarmaFX - with their infinite possibilities that just make me feel lost and indecisive. Maybe I'm the kind of person who does better in a smaller sandbox. To each their own. But give Aalto a try. It was designed specifically for rich complex audio rate modulation, West Coast style, and it feels surprisingly carefully thought out and complete.

And BTW the copy that is licensed just to you - with your name on the front panel - is slightly different from anybody else's copy. Behaves slightly differently. It's yours alone.

Look at Kaivo too if you like Aalto (granular synthesis into physically modelled resonators which can be modulated like crazy). And coming soon, Sumu: additive synthesis taken to another plane.

+1 to Aalto and Kaivo, but I’d call both semi modular, as you cannot add more modules...
My earlier bet became reality Bitwig 3s Grid blows all other modulars out of the water in terms of workflow and usability. The flattest learning curve I’ve ever seen in any modular... And its just in its infancy, no its pregnancy, as its still in beta...

Return to “Modular Synthesis”