Logic Pro articulation set for KH Cs2

Official support for: kirkhunterstudios.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The recent update to Logic Pro 10.4 includes a new articulation set feature. I am going to try to set up some articulation sets to support CS2, CB2, Diamond, spotlight strings and virtuoso ensembles.

As I get into it I am determining that logic’s articulation set feature may be too simplistic for KH’s keyswitch handling which provides quite a lot of stuff in different ways, for example legato passages in CS2 are not handled by a key switch but rather by altering the way you record midi notes slightly overlapping. And there are situations where to keyswitches are required to get a certain thing to happen, like different accent styles, for example, and cases where automation is more of the preferred way to control something rather then a keyswitch.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions about what would be the best approach to setting up a rather complete articulation set in Logic Pro for KH products that Covers as much as possible of KH feature set? I am pretty skilled with Logic’s scripter plugin so if I have to add a few scripts to fine tune what is done for each note with articulation id I am ready for that. But I’m a little unsure at the moment aboutbwhat the best workflow would be integrating this logicpro feature
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

I played around with this a bit, not reaching very good conclusions about the ability to combine KH key switching with LPX articulation sets. The articulation set feature in LPX is a little too limited to handle the myriad of combinations that are possible with KH strings and many things in KH TVEC4 involve a sequence of several keyswitches, or combined with automation, overlapping notes, etc.

I did come to the following conclusion, it would be good to create a so called "articulation" in LPX for every combination of actual articulations, which in KH TVEC4 is sometimes a combination of two keyswitches to accomplish. This can lead to a very large list of total articulation combinations, but its the only way I can figure to use the articulation set feature of LPX to drive TVEC4 without having to add additional keyswitches and/or automation to the sequencer tracks.

For example, if I want a short marccato, then I have to hit the keyswitch for short and the keyswitch for marcatto. That led me to create 41 articulations in LPX as follows:
  1. Adagio
  2. Long Smooth
  3. Long Marccato pp
  4. Long Detache pp
  5. Long Spiccato pp
  6. Long Marccato Molto pp
  7. Long Detache Molto pp
  8. Long Spiccato Molto pp
  9. Long Marccato mf
  10. Long Detache mf
  11. Long Spiccato mf
  12. Long Marccato Molto mf
  13. Long Detache Molto mf
  14. Long Spiccato Molto mf
  15. Long Marccato ff
  16. Long Detache ff
  17. Long Spiccato ff
  18. Long Marccato Molto ff
  19. Long Detache Molto ff
  20. Long Spiccato Molto ff
  21. Short Marccato pp
  22. Short Detache pp
  23. Short Spiccato pp
  24. Short Marccato Molto pp
  25. Short Detache Molto pp
  26. Short Spiccato Molto pp
  27. Short Marccato mf
  28. Short Detache mf
  29. Short Spiccato mf
  30. Short Marccato Molto mf
  31. Short Detache Molto mf
  32. Short Spiccato Molto mf
  33. Short Marccato ff
  34. Short Detache ff
  35. Short Spiccato ff
  36. Short Marccato Molto ff
  37. Short Detache Molto ff
  38. Short Spiccato Molto ff
  39. Pizzicato
  40. Bartok Pizzicato
  41. Harmonics
But even with that, then a special Scripter script is needed to to send two keyswitches in some of the situations where that is required. It would, at least provide a way to avoid having to embed any keyswitches into the sequencer track, or deal with automation as an alternative.

The problem is further compounded by the fact that in addition to all of the above, most of those articulations can also be multipled by 3 FX (tremolo, Half Trill, whole trill). I am still going to play around to see if the FX could be handled by automation, while the base articulations listed above perhaps can be handled with articulation id in LPX to avoid so many keyswitches and complicated automation.

On top of all of that, I would prefer to also include smartlegato handling as automatic by using specific articulation id's for each case..but...this quickly becomes very unwieldy as you have to at a minimum take the above 41 base articulations and multiply by two to indicate legato and non-legato version of each one...
Last edited by Dewdman42 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

On the subject of using automation to choose the way CS2 TVEC4 plays, I ran into some interesting issues, that make it kind of unwieldy, but maybe I'm doing something wrong, hopefully someone will have insights.

For example, let's say I want to use automation to choose section size. It looks to me that there is no automatable parameter called "section size". There are rather 4 seperate parameters, so I guess if I want to use automation to select WHOLE or HALF, I have to make sure to set the other unused ones to OFF and and that one to ON...basically have to deal with multiple lanes of automation for essentially one mutually exclusive value. Is there a way to avoid this?

Another example would be using automation to choose any of the articulations...they are mutually exclusive, but you have to have a seperate automation lane for each one and at any given instant turn one on and the others off..except for situations where some are combined, like Smooth-Accent-pp-Tremolo, for example... Sort of cumbersome, but how do people here eotk with stuff or are people just using the good old keyswitches and calling it done? I'm trying to get away from having key switch events littering my piano roll. I was hoping the new Articulation Set feature of LPX would do it, but I don't think it will unfortunately

for anyone interested, I did come up with something and interested in feedback. Maybe this can help someone too.

You can download LPX 10.4 articulation set and needed Scripter script, with instructions, here: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... 79#p695679

Please give me your comments or suggestions for improvement and let us know if it helps you.
artset.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Kirk Hunter Studios”