Has anyone ever had Arturia try to automatically update their software?

Official support for: arturia.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A few days ago, I started up my music computer (2012 MacBook Pro), opened Plogue Bidule (standalone), and loaded a patch containing the Modular V plugin. All of a sudden a little Arturia window appeared that stated that it was downloading "something". I didn't wait to see what it was and quickly turned off my Wi-Fi to stop the download. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't allow any automatic updates to anything on any of my computers.

This has never happened before, so after I made sure that nothing had been updated, I opened the Arturia Service Center (v1.2.0.114) to look for a settings page, but had to click on "Offline Mode", as my Wi-Fi was still turned off. I clicked on the gears, but couldn't find any way to turn off auto update. If I reconnect my Wi-Fi and open Service Center, it starts downloading an update immediately. WTF?

I then sent a rather nasty message to their support telling them what I thought of their Software Center and that I didn't want them messing with my computer. I am now on my third request for a way to prevent this from happening . . . they simply won't answer the question.

In their replies, I've been told . . .

". . . updates are necessary for fixing potential errors and bugs with certain Operating Systems/DAWs/Setups ...Also updates are necessary to benefit from new features and software enhancement. I don't understand how are we messing with your computer if updating our software products?"

Uh, let's see . . . BY UPDATING SOFTWARE ON MY COMPUTER WITHOUT MY PERMISSION?

"You are assuming that updating will cause harm to your Arturia saved patches/sessions, or your computer (saying don't mess with my computer), but that's just an assumption."

I'm not assuming anything. I just don't want you running your experiment on my computer.

Gee Arturia, last time I checked, I was a 60 year old adult. My mommy and daddy died a long time ago . . . I don't need new ones.

So, does anyone know how to prevent this? Can I remove or rename the Software Center app to prevent it from running? Will this have any effect on my licenses?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

it would have just been self-updating their 'software centre' application - all the arturia plugins run it in the background as it handles both the licensing and checking for new versions

I've been surprised opening a project with their stuff in to get a pop up reminding me new updates for the plugins are available - but it does NOT automatically update the plugins themselves

jdnz wrote:it would have just been self-updating their 'software centre' application - all the arturia plugins run it in the background as it handles both the licensing and checking for new versions

I've been surprised opening a project with their stuff in to get a pop up reminding me new updates for the plugins are available - but it does NOT automatically update the plugins themselves
You're a more trusting soul than I am. Let's hope Arturia never gets hacked.

tdm wrote:
jdnz wrote:it would have just been self-updating their 'software centre' application - all the arturia plugins run it in the background as it handles both the licensing and checking for new versions

You're a more trusting soul than I am. Let's hope Arturia never gets hacked.
given recent world news on wannacry I'd be more worried about your host OS than arturia's stuff....

jdnz wrote:given recent world news on wannacry I'd be more worried about your host OS than arturia's stuff....
I worry about it all. Arturia's "stuff" could be a vehicle for something getting in.

I use a lot of audio software and nothing else I use auto updates. It's simply unnecessary. I'm happy to get an email telling me something has been updated, but I take responsibility for keeping on top of it by regularly checking my accounts at the company's I've purchased software from. I generally don't update things unless I'm having a problem: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

tdm wrote: I use a lot of audio software and nothing else I use auto updates. It's simply unnecessary. I'm happy to get an email telling me something has been updated, but I take responsibility for keeping on top of it by regularly checking my accounts at the company's I've purchased software from. I generally don't update things unless I'm having a problem: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
but yet your machine is obviously networked? do you apply the same principle to operating system updates - since that's exactly the hole wannacry drove thru (machine's on the network with unpatched vulnerabilities).

I can relate to the 'if it ain't broke' ethos - but in that case the machine should definitely NOT be networked either

jdnz wrote:but yet your machine is obviously networked? do you apply the same principle to operating system updates - since that's exactly the hole wannacry drove thru (machine's on the network with unpatched vulnerabilities).

I can relate to the 'if it ain't broke' ethos - but in that case the machine should definitely NOT be networked either
It isn't, but I occasionally connect it for one reason or another. Is that risky? A bit, but I do keep my anti-virus software up to date. As for OS updates, I don't do them. My system is frozen at OS X 10.8.5. It works well and does everything I'll ever need. I consider my music computer a closed system. I've read too many posts over the years from people having problems using the latest hardware and software. I want to spend my time working on music. I believe that good music can be made by simple means.

worst part of it is that it sometimes callback to Arturia to check authorization. I play live with softsynths and one time the mini-V was not authorized... and was reseted to the init patch in the middle of a gig.

Best thing to do is authorize offline, even if it's an online computer.

https://www.arturia.com/faq/activationo ... fline-mode

waltercruz wrote:worst part of it is that it sometimes callback to Arturia to check authorization. I play live with softsynths and one time the mini-V was not authorized... and was reseted to the init patch in the middle of a gig.

Best thing to do is authorize offline, even if it's an online computer.

https://www.arturia.com/faq/activationo ... fline-mode
Man, that must of sucked! I take it that this solved your problem. I'll give it a shot. Thanks, waltercruz! :tu:

As someone who uses no pirated software, I really do understand the plight of companies like Arturia that want to protect their hard work, but this scheme is too overbearing.

Thanks again.

tdm wrote: Man, that must of sucked! I take it that this solved your problem. I'll give it a shot. Thanks, waltercruz! :tu:
Yes, sucks. So, if someone wants to use Arturia plugins with the computer offline, even if the computer is most of time online, it's better to use the offline activation method.

waltercruz wrote:So, if someone wants to use Arturia plugins with the computer offline, even if the computer is most of time online, it's better to use the offline activation method.
Actually, according to my latest email exchange with Arturia, this isn't true:

I asked: "What about offline authorization mode? Does that try to update if it sees an internet connection?"
They replied: "Yes, once the computer is connected to Internet, the auto-update of the ASC will execute."

So, I don't know what to believe. BUT, it no longer matters to me, as I found a very simple way to prevent Service Center from automatically updating with the computer connected to the Internet. This solution works on OS X 10.8.5, but I believe it will work on newer OS versions and probably Windows, as well. However, call me paranoid, but I don't want to tip my hand to Arturia by explaining it here. I just wanted anyone who cares to know that it is possible.

Arturia makes great products, but their Service Center update policy is dangerous.

I don't have Arturia products (yet), but I don't understand the whole forced auto-update thing. It's like they forget or don't realize some of us play live. As a live performer, the last thing I want is to start up my DAW and wait for some updates to install. I've had both a DAW and a softsynth auto-update while at home. I immediately e-mailed the developers, explaining I can't have that happen while playing live and both made updates to their software. :tu:

Plus, I totally agree. Let me decide when to install the update. If I have a special performance coming up, I'll usually wait to update until after. Even a week before, I don't want to update, and then spend the week trying to figure out why something isn't working.

iPlogger wrote:I don't have Arturia products (yet), but I don't understand the whole forced auto-update thing. It's like they forget or don't realize some of us play live. As a live performer, the last thing I want is to start up my DAW and wait for some updates to install. I've had both a DAW and a softsynth auto-update while at home. I immediately e-mailed the developers, explaining I can't have that happen while playing live and both made updates to their software. :tu:

Plus, I totally agree. Let me decide when to install the update. If I have a special performance coming up, I'll usually wait to update until after. Even a week before, I don't want to update, and then spend the week trying to figure out why something isn't working.
Well, in the words of Amine at Arturia support: "The Arturia Software Center Auto Update can't be disabled. Please leave it to update which will cause no issues."

Well, there you go, Arturia support says a forced update will "cause no issues". So, when your live show can't start because Arturia has commandeered or screwed up your computer, just refer them to Arturia support. I'm sure that when the audience realizes that this isn't an "issue", they'll patiently stand by while you pull your hair out.

What could go wrong? :tu:

iPlogger wrote:If I have a special performance coming up, I'll usually wait to update until after. Even a week before, I don't want to update, and then spend the week trying to figure out why something isn't working.
:tu:

Hahaha. Too funny tdm. "What could go wrong?"

Return to “Arturia”