Feature request for all synths: MPE

Official support for: arturia.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MPE!
Let's hope we do not have to wait more 20 years... :)

SLiC wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:23 am It would be good to get a statement from Arturia as to when or if MPE was planned. Whilst it probably only affects less than 1% of users currently, it is started to become expected (like HD interfaces) for new synths...
As soon as it will support it, it will affect more than 1% as they attract new users! I doubt even that it is now only 1% (Roli is doing a good job...)
Its a bit like ignoring velocity in the 80s... It didn't take much time and you could not sell an expander or a keyboard without supporting it! Those who came late lost... To implement velocity in the 80s was simple - only poly aftertouch did not spread, because it was expensive to implement and it was difficult to control it as well...
Today to implement MPE is not that difficult, to test it is more of an effort than to implement it... Its a not more than: the polyphonic note allocation is done by the controller...
Even if there isn't a big MPE user base, alone the ability to create really expressive demo videos would sell more...

Implementing MPE is NOT trivial, especially in existing synths. The whole internal structure may need to change to be able to modulate every note separately - it's not about the polyphonic note allocation itself.
It's like modifying a car afterwards to be able to steer each wheel separately when originally it had a rigid axle for the two back tires.
I just had a chat with AAS support about MPE and they mentioned it may be easier to come up with a whole new instrument than implementing MPE afterwards (depending on the existing code base of course).

But in a new synth, it makes sense to have it in place already now that MPE is a standard.
In the case of Arturia I could imagine it's related to the fact that they do not have any MPE controller themselves, which would make it awkward in a way to offer a MPE synth which you can't play with their own gear...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

I never though of the controler issue, that’s a fair point! Same with NI I guess, there are no mainstream MPE devices realy....when one of the popular manufactures makes a play (I always thought PUSH may be the first) then it will probably take off...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

ThomasHelzle wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:41 pm Implementing MPE is NOT trivial, especially in existing synths. The whole internal structure may need to change to be able to modulate every note separately - it's not about the polyphonic note allocation itself.
It's like modifying a car afterwards to be able to steer each wheel separately when originally it had a rigid axle for the two back tires.
I just had a chat with AAS support about MPE and they mentioned it may be easier to come up with a whole new instrument than implementing MPE afterwards (depending on the existing code base of course).

But in a new synth, it makes sense to have it in place already now that MPE is a standard.
I always look at the flow of information. There is code which is getting Midi into a synth. Ok, in a lot of cases they filter out any information of other Midi channels and pass on information without Midi channel.
If they do it like that, they will have the biggest problems, but I guess its still doable. At least as Voice per Channel.
"Simply" keep and pass all information and put the filter into the voice... The main problem might be that there are two concurring voice allocations. The old one from the common polyphonic allocator, and if MPE is coming in, it is already allocated through the Midi channels. But a switch for MPE could "simply" bypass the old voice allocator...

I know this is bullshit without knowing the complexity of the concrete code base. I will apologize for that already, its just some basic thoughts how to address the problem in general.
I still think its worth to tackle it.
In the case of Arturia I could imagine it's related to the fact that they do not have any MPE controller themselves, which would make it awkward in a way to offer a MPE synth which you can't play with their own gear...
And if the problem is really that the Arturia product managers and devs don't have a controller which would fit? Sorry, but to have not 300 € for a Seaboard block cannot be an excuse, at least I cannot imagine that... For sure they would sell more than 3 copies of any of their synths...

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:21 am I know this is bullshit...
I still think its worth to tackle it.
Yeah, I would subscribe to that part... ;-)
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:21 am And if the problem is really that the Arturia product managers and devs don't have a controller which would fit? Sorry, but to have not 300 € for a Seaboard block cannot be an excuse, at least I cannot imagine that... For sure they would sell more than 3 copies of any of their synths...
You got me totally wrong there: Arturia as a company creating and selling Midi controllers do not have a MPE controller in their OWN repertoire ATM. So if their virtual instruments would support MPE and their hardware controllers won't, that could be perceived as a suboptimal thing by the management trying to present a unified front as Arturia does - many of their controllers have special modes for their syths...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Oh, if they force their devs to only work with their own controllers, thats for sure a recipe for blocking innovation...
Or they think if we make MPE compatible synths, people are not buying our controllers because compared to the competition they suck... (they suck already compared to any MPE controller no matter of the state of their plug-ins...; - )
Btw. I would like to have a sort of companion to my LinnStrument which delivers what "modern" master keyboards do, just without all those useless keys... (@Arturia: listen! I point to a real market gap...)

I have no ham in this particular frying pan so I'll leave you to your ruminations... ;-)

Cheers, over and out.

Tom

Yea, lack of MPE stopped me from buying Pigments. I also understand them not trying to port to the older instruments, but Pigments is brand new.

The next logical step for hands on control is MPE. It is the future. I can say with confidence that even for someone with very basic keyboard skills like myself, playing a fully MPE capable synth with the most basic MPE device like a Seaboard Block is a next level experience. Developers that are on top of it (FXpansion, Bitwig, Logic) are only going to benefit more in the future.

That said I still bought Pigments knowing it didn't have MPE, but really hoping Arturia jumps on it. I just don't vibe with Cypher, even though it's highly MPE capable. FWIW the latest beta of Serum has preliminary MPE... Serum already has the edge with a massive community of users/history, not to mention top notch support from Steve. Pigments is trying to occupy similar territory. It would be absolutely brilliant as an MPE instrument!

+1000 for an MPE update to Pigments.
Duality without regard to physicality

ryantheaudioguy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:29 pm That said I still bought Pigments knowing it didn't have MPE, but really hoping Arturia jumps on it. I just don't vibe with Cypher, even though it's highly MPE capable.
I freaking love Cypher, but I get I might like outliers at times. I love the modulation routing in it and Pigments both are top notch to me. I've used Massive over the years but never really got it's popularity compared to other synths that don't suck? It's good, I just have always found it a bit vanilla.

It would make sense for Pigments to get MPE the most logical choice besides CS80.
Someone already mentioned though that Arturia offer a lot of controller keyboards and none of them are MPE compatible... this is a possible business reason not to support it until that happens.

Return to “Arturia”