Tracktion Universe 2020

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MEC wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:54 am So you are saying that currently, in order to have the chord track affect an imported midi score of about 30 individual tracks, I would have to first, turn each full track into a pattern and only then it could follow the chord track after all 30 midi tracks are turned into patterns?
You import midi scores, of 30 tracks, then change the chord structure of that score? It's interesting, if that's a thing you regularly do. I can't imagine a use case for that, personally.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

GuitarPlayerinNYC wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:57 am
jabe wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:49 am
GuitarPlayerinNYC wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:05 am What's the deal with "Waveform Free" at the end of the vid, and where do I sign up?
Thanks. I'm a day away from the end of my trial period with WF10. I'm still learning the ins and outs in working more with midi, and I like the workflow of WF. Should I see a need, I'll upgrade to 11, probably somewhat discounted.
I can see that you could use some continuity between your trial period ending and W11 or W11Free appearing. In your shoes, I think I'd email support@tracktion.com and see if they'll let you buy W10 but get W11 without further payment whenever it appears.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

chico.co.uk wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:45 am
MEC wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:54 am So you are saying that currently, in order to have the chord track affect an imported midi score of about 30 individual tracks, I would have to first, turn each full track into a pattern and only then it could follow the chord track after all 30 midi tracks are turned into patterns?
You import midi scores, of 30 tracks, then change the chord structure of that score? It's interesting, if that's a thing you regularly do. I can't imagine a use case for that, personally.

Thats a faster way to test different chord progressions on the songs that I'm working on. Cubases chord track does this very effectively. I just hate working with Cubase.(and that's just one scenario)

jabe wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:48 pm
GuitarPlayerinNYC wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:05 am What's the deal with "Waveform Free" at the end of the vid, and where do I sign up?
Thanks. I'm a day away from the end of my trial period with WF10. I'm still learning the ins and outs in working more with midi, and I like the workflow of WF. Should I see a need, I'll upgrade to 11, probably somewhat discounted.
I can see that you could use some continuity between your trial period ending and W11 or W11Free appearing. In your shoes, I think I'd email support@tracktion.com and see if they'll let you buy W10 but get W11 without further payment whenever it appears.
Great point. Like I tell my kids, "it never hurts to ask." I normally don't ask companies for anything, unless they don't live up to a promise, like Amazon guaranteeing next day delivery, and I get the item 5 days later.

I'll write support. If they say yes, I'll let you know. I have exactly 2 days and 2 hrs. left on my trial period, lol. Thanks for a great suggestion. Cheers.

Woody being interviewed at NAMM ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzUDxJUBqPg
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

The mention of "free" is confusing. I don't see it on their website. In any case, since I'm about to buy WF 10, but I wrote support@tracktion, to ask what the deal is. But they could be getting swamped with inquiries.

I'll post my response, once I get it.

The folks at Tracktion have cut me great deals in similar situations. And emailing support is exactly how they asked me to do it, so good luck!
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

GuitarPlayerinNYC wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:59 pm The mention of "free" is confusing. I don't see it on their website. In any case, since I'm about to buy WF 10, but I wrote support@tracktion, to ask what the deal is. But they could be getting swamped with inquiries.

It's not confusing really. The new 'free' version will be based on Waveform 11 code base and will have some lesser features (so, no 'Groove Doctor', Multi Sampler, Faceplates, Extra modifiers etc). It will replace T7. The paid for version of Waveform 11 or Waveform 11 Pro will include additional new features on top of Waveform 11 Free. What those features will be, is yet to be properly announced.

The website isn't updated as they have not formally released Waveform 11 yet.

exponent1 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:14 pm
GuitarPlayerinNYC wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:59 pm The mention of "free" is confusing. I don't see it on their website. In any case, since I'm about to buy WF 10, but I wrote support@tracktion, to ask what the deal is. But they could be getting swamped with inquiries.

It's not confusing really. The new 'free' version will be based on Waveform 11 code base and will have some lesser features (so, no 'Groove Doctor', Multi Sampler, Faceplates, Extra modifiers etc). It will replace T7. The paid for version of Waveform 11 or Waveform 11 Pro will include additional new features on top of Waveform 11 Free. What those features will be, is yet to be properly announced.

With what's stripped out, isn't that basically T7??

I guess with the virtual mixer controls (should they exist in the free version) is still a good deal (for me).

jabe wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:48 pm
I got a response from Tracktion, re: free Waveform 11-

>>Hello,

Yeah those new versions are not available for release yet. But if you purchase Waveform 10 now you will receive a free upgrade to the next version.
Thanks.
Brian

Tracktion
Web Support Team
www.tracktion.com<<

So, it still appears to me that you have to be a previous WF owner, to get free WF 11.

I was debating whether to get WF 10 Basic for $119, or WF 10 Standard for $259 (which includes DAW Essentials). I had Basic in my shopping cart, and saw "save by adding..." so I added DAW Essentials as an add-on. The total came to $202. I may go for this for the FX, I'm not experienced enough to know a GREAT compressor, from a meh compressor. May as well get my feet wet with something that should integrate well with Tracktion. In the past 2 weeks alone, I got over $500 in free software- Analog Lab 4, and Sonivox Orchestral Companion (for about $32 US). Anyway, a heads up for anyone considering buying WF 10 now. If you want to save, bundle the extras to the Basic edition, and compare it to the retail price. I have tons of plugins from Kontact, etc, and my plugin menu is a mess. I won't be scoring the next Star Wars movie, and this will really streamline things for me.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

GuitarPlayerinNYC wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:36 pm

I guess with the virtual mixer controls (should they exist in the free version) is still a good deal (for me).
Much better to have an actively supported free DAW based on the current codebase than a years-old version released for free IMO
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Greenstorm33 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:09 am
GuitarPlayerinNYC wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:36 pm

Much better to have an actively supported free DAW based on the current codebase than a years-old version released for free IMO
True. I can't help thinking talking "free" at NAMM is a marketing ploy though. I found T7 pretty solid. Still, to their credit, There's tons of people that have benefited from the free versions of Tracktion (myself included). I've found the various versions of T better than the lite, or paid Basic DAWS out there. For whatever reason, I just hate Pro Tools/Reaper/Sonar- name 'em. I go back to at least T4. I just found it far more intuitive.

Different strokes, for different folks. In testing WF10 this past month, I love Tracktion more. I'm not knocking other peoples' choices. I'm just a Tracktion fanboy now, especially since I've just started working more with midi, as opposed to mic'd instruments. IMO, you get FAR more with even the Basic edition of WF10, than far more expensive DAWs.

T7 will be that last free 32-bit version, expect for anyone who got W8 with a gadget (if that happened). Otherwise all 64-bit from now.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

GuitarPlayerinNYC wrote: With what's stripped out, isn't that basically T7??

A software is not just its features, but also the stability, performance and UI. Although I'm sure Waveform free will have more features than T7.

Return to “Tracktion”