Tracktion Universe 2020

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

toddbooster wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:12 pm I'm real curious about this second screen business on an iPad. Will it work in Windows? Over wi-fi?
They only indicated they were supporting multiple screens; my guess would be the iPad was done via Sidecar, which would make it Mac-only, and only with Macs running Catalina, which in turn may cause issues with some audio plugins if they have not been updated yet.

fde101 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:27 pm They only indicated they were supporting multiple screens; my guess would be the iPad was done via Sidecar, which would make it Mac-only, and only with Macs running Catalina, which in turn may cause issues with some audio plugins if they have not been updated yet.
This was my fear exactly. It wouldn't really be much of a feature if it only works on one platform under a very specific set of circumstances.

seem good new features the arranger cord and arp. thew new 11 version look very intresting for me and i read in the video that there is a free version. but if it is good and the features finished(not so in beginning state as the pattern generators) i buy. i have alot money now, because i buy not 8, not 9, not 10 :D
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

toddbooster wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:03 pm This was my fear exactly. It wouldn't really be much of a feature if it only works on one platform under a very specific set of circumstances.
There are 3rd-party products to do similar things which may work on the other platform, but I have found them to be somewhat hit-and-miss, mostly working not very well. My own Macs are running older versions of macOS so I haven't tried Sidecar yet to see how it compares.

Wow! really looking forward to quantizing audio pitch with the chord track. I hope that you guys eventually allow the same with imported midi files, midi patterns are too restrictive in my opinion.
Also looking forward to using the new track arranger feature. Great work.

For future reference: The ability to analyze audio and extract chord information which then can be sent to the chord track would also be amazing.

I love the idea of the new arranger feature. I've used Cubase's analog, and it's great. My only caveat is I'm wondering how it'll work with tempo changes. Whenever I have tempo automation in an edit right now, it creates problems with inserting/deleting space (mostly messing up the timings of MIDI). I think it loses track of the offset of midi clips.

In general more midi mangling features would be helpful. There's a lot of operations that are simple in other DAWs (doubling the speed of midi, halving it, changing it to a different speed, etc.) that I can't figure out how to do in Waveform. Also looking forward to potential step clip upgrades.

MEC wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:55 amI hope that you guys eventually allow the same with imported midi files, midi patterns are too restrictive in my opinion.
Not sure what you're trying to do, but you can already import your own midi clips and turn them into midi patterns, which will then follow the chord track etc. That's been there since midi patterns were introduced as a feature.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

spoontechnique wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:02 am In general more midi mangling features would be helpful. There's a lot of operations that are simple in other DAWs (doubling the speed of midi, halving it, changing it to a different speed, etc.) that I can't figure out how to do in Waveform.
If you have a 4 bar midi clip, hold down Alt on windows, or Option on a mac, and drag the arrow in the top right of the clip. If you drag it to 2 bar size, it will double the speed of the midi clip. Drag it to 8 bars, it will half the speed of it. Anything in between is proportional.

Fun facts, this also works with audio clips. Make sure to choose a time stretching algo (like Elastique) in the audio clip properties, if you don't want it to sound chipmunk-y or pitch it deeper. But maybe you do want that.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Wait a second, that new FM Synth has EIGHT operators! :o Holy shit, and I thought the new features were neat enough.

That said, when are we going to be able to freely arm any track like any other DAW in the market. :roll:

chico.co.uk wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:25 pm
MEC wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:55 amI hope that you guys eventually allow the same with imported midi files, midi patterns are too restrictive in my opinion.
Not sure what you're trying to do, but you can already import your own midi clips and turn them into midi patterns, which will then follow the chord track etc. That's been there since midi patterns were introduced as a feature.
I'm not looking to mess with patterns. Like I said before, they are very limiting. I'm looking to manipulate whole songs similar to how both Cubase and Studio One manipulated entire midi scores and not just a simple pattern.

MEC wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:12 am I'm not looking to mess with patterns. Like I said before, they are very limiting. I'm looking to manipulate whole songs similar to how both Cubase and Studio One manipulated entire midi scores and not just a simple pattern.
Once again I have no idea what your saying. You have never been limited to simple patterns.You can use the ones supplied you can record the midi or you can hand edit and they will follow the chord trck.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

mtelesha wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:21 am
MEC wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:12 am I'm not looking to mess with patterns. Like I said before, they are very limiting. I'm looking to manipulate whole songs similar to how both Cubase and Studio One manipulated entire midi scores and not just a simple pattern.
Once again I have no idea what your saying. You have never been limited to simple patterns.You can use the ones supplied you can record the midi or you can hand edit and they will follow the chord trck.
So you are saying that currently, in order to have the chord track affect an imported midi score of about 30 individual tracks, I would have to first, turn each full track into a pattern and only then it could follow the chord track after all 30 midi tracks are turned into patterns?

Which remind me of another feature request: The ability to auto assign GM instruments to each imported midi track. This feature is elementary and found on most DAWs
Last edited by MEC on Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

What's the deal with "Waveform Free" at the end of the vid, and where do I sign up?

GuitarPlayerinNYC wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:05 am What's the deal with "Waveform Free" at the end of the vid, and where do I sign up?
I'm expecting an option to appear under the Products menu on the Tracktion site. At the moment, you can choose T7 or the Waveform (10) Free that you needed to dig out via a copy of Computer Music magazine from a few months back. The Waveform Free is going to be the same as the regular current Waveform, but without certain features. Whether it appears at the same time as the new full version is another thing, because previous versions only became available for free somewhere around the middle of the year.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:49 am
GuitarPlayerinNYC wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:05 am What's the deal with "Waveform Free" at the end of the vid, and where do I sign up?
I'm expecting an option to appear under the Products menu on the Tracktion site. At the moment, you can choose T7 or the Waveform (10) Free that you needed to dig out via a copy of Computer Music magazine from a few months back. The Waveform Free is going to be the same as the regular current Waveform, but without certain features. Whether it appears at the same time as the new full version is another thing, because previous versions only became available for free somewhere around the middle of the year.
Thanks. I'm a day away from the end of my trial period with WF10. I'm still learning the ins and outs in working more with midi, and I like the workflow of WF. Should I see a need, I'll upgrade to 11, probably somewhat discounted.

Return to “Tracktion”