Waveform+Biotek on Linux -- some comments

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I've been dabbling here with Waveform+Biotek, and noticing a few things.

Is this a place where staff actually reads issues and relays this information to core developers?

There's a tracktion account with zendesk, and I wouldn't know which place is better to report issues ...

The software of these two are relatively stable though there's a few things I don't see why were not worked out before their official release..

--> The '?' help icon fails to open the help pdf in Biotek.
Users often need this to work to reference quick help and Tracktion should at least fix this for any upcoming releases.

--> Opening a file dialog from Biotek appears underneath it and is difficult to access. Biotek is placing its plugin window above of all the other windows and this gets in the way of being able to use file dialogs properly. Users should have window-display options in Waveform, so that plugins are not able to place their windows at the top of all the other windows.

--> Menu/Options in Waveform are not available until a project is open. I mean if there are options that are global and projects inherit those settings all the time, users should be able to change those global options whether or not a project is open.

--> Fix the 'Download Manager' vs Manual installs from Shopping Bundles.
Users should be able to manually dismiss updates if they downloaded the same items from outside the Download manager.. The update notification cannot be disabled within Waveform and it so happens that if a user is new and downloads things from the shopping site and installs them manually (eg, 5 gigs of audio content) -- they only discover later of the annoying pop-up when they start Waveform. They do no want to waste bandwidth to re-download the same thing again so this should be fixed. An update reminder that is always showing up when the software is already is installed is just confusing the end-user.

--> A slight bug was noticed -- when making a custom instrument, the .biotek2inst does not save the new name of an instrument if the name textbox is used and instead the name field in the title bar section. Updating the titlebar area with new name updates the name textbox below, and then saving the instrument will preserve the new name. A benign bug that should be fixed as the name textbox can be changed and the user will not know about it until much later when they try to search for their instrument in the search area.

--> The 'Sounds' folder needs explanation -- an attempt to verify what type of audio content can be stored in these paths is lacking.. (sample files were tested but those go in 'Samples' and not the Sounds directory)

A few minor bugs I can handle, a few places that need improvement but still quite usable/stable.

What about other users of Linux, do you have similar suggestions and notice the same issue? .. have more suggestions?

tks

Return to “Tracktion”