FR: View Source Info for Imported MIDI Files

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I import audio files the new clip automatically gets the actual file name and in the View Source Info section I can see what directory it was imported from.
With imported MIDI files the newly created clip's name doesn't match the file name, usually a generic term like "Drums" and there's no View Source Info to see where it came from if I need to look it up later.

Is it technically possible for Waveform to have a View Source Info for MIDI clips and to make the new clip name match the file name. I assume the generic names are part of the MIDI specification, but the option of using that or the actual file name would be useful. Waveform 10.3.1. Win10 1903.
Thanks

A problem I can see here is that Waveform addresses audio source files directly, but for MIDI files the MIDI is data extracted and converted into Waveform-format data. If you modify a sourced audio file outside of Tracktion, it will affect the audio that is played back as part of the project. If you modify a sourced MIDI file outside of Tracktion, it doesn't affect anything inside the project. Likewise, you can modify the imported MIDI data and it doesn't affect the sourced MIDI file. Once the MIDI file has been imported, it has no link to the project anymore, and so maintaining a link to the source file is largely meaningless.

The above has no bearing on the naming of the clip on initial import, however.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

Return to “Tracktion”