A Kontakt-Based Orchestral Type Template

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not sure if this'll help anyone else. Heck, not sure if it's helped me yet! :D But I've spent a few hours assembling a template - in large part it was rounding up and selecting the components I wanted to include. But also figuring out the organization, MIDI routing, audio routing, and latency compensation for orchestral libraries (such as it is). I'm not sure where Waveform stores templates, so I'm trying to share the file I created prior to saving as a template. However, even 5mb files seem too large to attach. So I'll try a Dropbox link, which will eventually expire or become outdated. This file is not generic - that is, it's set for my instruments, not yours, unless you own the same ones. So don't expect to open it and start using it right away!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m71ja5y09o7rn ... 01.7z?dl=0

First I created a spreadsheet in Google Sheets of all the folders and libraries and articulations where possible that I wanted to include. In Waveform, I created one Kontakt instance per folder (might replace with a submix in the future) - not placed on the folder track, but on the first actual track. I then wrapped it in a rack, created all the tracks, added the tracks to a relevant folder, and dragged/copied the rack to every track it was relevant for (which adds it as an output in the rack). In Kontakt, I used the output section and used the Batch feature in the menu to split the outputs for each library. In the rack, I removed all the output connections using the right click option, then added them back with the same menu adding them automatically and sequentially so it all mapped to the Kontakt outputs neatly. I then added a MIDI Patch Bay in front of each Kontakt rack, and painstakingly used 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 1:4, etc. - one patch bay per track, sequentially, to map to each library in each Kontakt instance. Finally, I added an instance, and then disabled it, of Voxengo Latency Delay to every single track - because there's no way to adjust latency per track in Waveform from what I can tell, and I have libraries that vary from 0, to 80ms for Performance Sample instruments, to 250ms for Audio Imperia Nucleus (thankfully adjustable <100 since that's max for Latency Delay, albeit at a slightly less natural sound for the library)

With my luck, there was an easy way to do what I did and I over thought and over complicated it. That'd be so me.

I don't know what I'm doing in terms of orchestration, but I seem to be on the right track. Here's a vlog about making a 400+ track template for the Spitfire BBC Orchestra (in Logic). Which I don't have. But would gladly accept as a gift.... :D

https://youtu.be/6BUTR60ZD7I

Return to “Tracktion”