Artisan plugins

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there are a reason why these are not an optional download? Most of them are absolutely dreadful.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

because they are no VST but integrated in Waveform ... what is a too bad.
horst

I made good use of one of them in my latest track.
https://soundcloud.com/user-419623776/k ... rding-tune

I love the tune !! :)

you mean that's the airwindows stuff?
I use a number of them in T7, as regular downloads.
they are subtle, and knowledge of audio engineering is recommended to make good use in combination (racks..), not like the one-big-menu-for-all plugins nowadays, that are branded with the name of a famous engineer.

category and description are crucial.

fromwithin wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:17 pm Is there are a reason why these are not an optional download? Most of them are absolutely dreadful.
The artisan plugins are skinned and integrated Airwindows plugins, which are highly regarded by anyone who knows DSP.
Airwindows plugins are not really general purpose plugins, they are made to fill specific roles for processing audio. If you are not getting good results with them, you are either using them wrong or for the wrong purpose. Chris (the programmer of Airwindows plugins) makes video explaining each plugin and how and why to use them. I would highly suggest watching his demonstrations.
http://www.airwindows.com/

to make these plugins more "accessible" to non-nerds who have little time, some management and perhaps even some AI assistant might be very helpful. If I had the time, I would do a lot of categorizing (keywords) and manual sorting, and my own parameter description.
e.g. lately, I'm using ADT for sound applications that can benefit from a Haas delay, or a static comb filter (but seems you can even automate the delay time.)
point! is great for certain anaemic tomtoms.
so we should perhaps have an "experience" thread that sums up all success stories about Airwindows technology.

HansP wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:18 pm I love the tune !! :)

you mean that's the airwindows stuff?
Thanks Hans.
I used the plugin Nonlinear space on the harpsichord. It almost sounds like an additional instrument. It's a major part of the sound in this track.
https://soundcloud.com/user-419623776/k ... rding-tune

I've just watched some of the videos and they mostly come across as "What random thing can I do next to an audio stream? What will happen if I take the negative half of the wave, put it through a 1 sample delay and then mix its inverse back into the negative wave? Wow, it's a slightly different noise to the other plugin! I'll call this one....Hatstand".

Most of the plugins are either just musically useless, produce an effectively random change to the audio, or are so subtle you need an oscilloscope to detect the difference.

I'm pretty well-versed in DSP and it doesn't matter how well written an effect is if it's sonically useless. I suspect that some of them would be interesting as synthesis parameters of an experimental synthesizer, but as channel effects, I can barely find a single usable plugin among them.

I'd prefer there to at least be a toggle switch somewhere to remove them all from the plugin menu completely.

can't you hide them one by one in the plugin configuration?

HansP wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:03 pm can't you hide them one by one in the plugin configuration?
No because they're not classed as VST plugins, so they appear no matter how the custom menu is setup.

Last edited by fortklang on Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fromwithin wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:36 pm
HansP wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:03 pm can't you hide them one by one in the plugin configuration?
No because they're not classed as VST plugins, so they appear no matter how the custom menu is setup.
ok this would be a deep conceptual flaw, not treating any and every plugin as equal, regarding UI.
the user has to have the ultimate power. this was a leading paradigm at start of the whole project.
structure was object oriented, in that you could practically do the same to any object. easy to learn.

HansP wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:20 am ok this would be a deep conceptual flaw, not treating any and every plugin as equal, regarding UI.
the user has to have the ultimate power. this was a leading paradigm at start of the whole project.
structure was object oriented, in that you could practically do the same to any object. easy to learn.
It's the same with "Waveform Plugins". They are not VSTs, appear in the their own non-optional menu, and can't be added to the custom plugin menu.

in case someone is kindly listening, I used to see things only from the perspective of the user, and what I have done in such a case is, to throw any such object into its object box, no matter what technical attributes, exodus, or origin it has.
there would only be a box with ALL plugins whatsoever. one column might tell it is VST or stock plugin or feature collection or whatever it is.
meta-plugins like aux, insert, freeze point etc. perhaps can't be hidden meaningfully, but anything that does some processing, can. and any and every plugin would become subject of manual sorting, or of an order hierarchy by tags, if the user wants that.
using a DAW is a form of engineering, and the best software paradigm for engineering is strictly object-oriented, as symmetric as can be.

Dang, I was about to recommend using the "Tag Menu" instead, but of course, they all end up sitting in the "Untagged" folder. Funny the stuff you ignore when you want to.
[Waveform 12.0.53 on Mac Monterey 12.3.1]
Art is dangerous. It is one of the attractions: when it ceases to be dangerous, you don't want it. - Duke Ellington

Return to “Tracktion”