Waveform free with CM magazine this month...

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jabe wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:04 pm

The version-before-last has become free about 6-8 months after a new release starting with T4 in 2015. I don't know when Cakewalk Bandlab became free.
Cakewalk Bandlab has been free from day one ( Feb 2018) and will always remain free.

dellboy wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:29 pm
dRowAudio wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:23 pm For info, if you have already purchased Waveform 10 and have run it on your machine, you don't need to get Waveform Free.
It's the same installer and app but has a few features less than the "Pro" version (which is what we're now calling the version that has been on sale up until now).
I bought version 10 last night.

Had I known that you were giving this away I might have gone for the free version.
Considering what you usually get with free, or magware versions of other DAW's, i'd think that "a few features less" is a understatement. At the very least, it's pretty relative. ;)

DarkStar wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:43 pm Regarding my problem with the web server not responding to my Registration / authorisation request: I did an "Unlock Offline" in my Tracktion account. That worked. (I selected the generated key in the dialogue and also tried dropping it onto the main Waveform window).

Edit: no, it didn't. The next time I start Waveform Free it is back in Demo mode. Although the Unlocking is reported as successful and shows the details in the About window, it looks like the key info is not being saved in the Settings file. :(
I think the problem here is that you're using an old version of the app, not the >10.3.0 as I mentioned is required a few posts ago in this thread.

v10.3.1 is now available for download (should be in your Downloads on tracktion.com or you can get it via the Download Manager or the Waveform downloads list).

Once installed, you should be asked to register. Enter your tracktion.com email and password and it should unlock. The title bar will then change to "Waveform FREE" or "Waveform PRO" depending on what you have in your account.

I hope that helps.

I'm aiming to have the free version alongside W10 so I can swap projects with a friend who's unlikely to take things to the Nth degree. It'll simplify things if we're using the same software. The pattern generator will be a big help for him.

I'll let you know how having both installed goes...

...not without being a pretend other user, by the look of it.
Last edited by jabe on Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

dRowAudio wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:51 pm I think the problem here is that you're using an old version of the app, not the >10.3.0 as I mentioned is required a few posts ago in this thread.

v10.3.1 is now available for download (should be in your Downloads on tracktion.com or you can get it via the Download Manager or the Waveform downloads list).

Once installed, you should be asked to register. Enter your tracktion.com email and password and it should unlock. The title bar will then change to "Waveform FREE" or "Waveform PRO" depending on what you have in your account.

I hope that helps.
Yep, that fixed it (could not unlock Waveform Free v10.2.1) - thank you. :)
Last edited by DarkStar on Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

dellboy wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:18 pm

The version-before-last has become free about 6-8 months after a new release starting with T4 in 2015. I don't know when Cakewalk Bandlab became free.
Cakewalk Bandlab has been free from day one ( Feb 2018) and will always remain free.
Ah. That'll be Sonar trying to keep up with Waveform then.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Installed the "free" version & after a quick go through it's missing the following:
-drum sampler
-multi-sampler
-master mix
-artisan plugins
-collective
-faceplates

Also, doesn't include the Celemony, or Antares plugins. Not sure if there's a maximum track limit. Overall seems similar to t7 but with the pattern generator and extra synths.

That's a pretty good high-level summary. The full list of main features not included are:
- Melodyne
- AutoTune
- Groove Dr
- Actions panel
- Edit groups
- Track snapshots
- Track editor
- Subtractive
- Artisan collection
- Drum sampler
- Macros
- Modifiers (except LFO)
- Faceplates
- Chord track
- Multi sampler
- Master mix

There are no track or plugin count limits in Waveform Free.

Dave - will files/archives be fully compatible between Free and Pro (as long as they dont include drum sampler etc)?
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

Some question to the free 10.3 and one little annotation to the excluded functions in the free version:

- can anybody confirm Capatain plugins now running in 10.3 under windows 7 64 bit (they did not till last version of 9 so I did not upgrade) ?
- I wonder whats happening to my bought 9 (and before versions) of collective, biotek, master mix (which I bought as regular vst before it was included) etc. in the free version of wf 10 ?
- as the description in Computer music starts with the midi pattern generator it does not really makes sense for me to exclude the Chord track, I really hope that wont get any trouble if for some reason in some cases the connection is missing. Of course I understand that there have to be differences and attraction to buy full version but to split kind of "functional blocks" (in my understanding) I cant really follow

dRowAudio wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:12 am That's a pretty good high-level summary. The full list of main features not included are:
- Melodyne
- AutoTune
- Groove Dr
- Actions panel
- Edit groups
- Track snapshots
- Track editor
- Subtractive
- Artisan collection
- Drum sampler
- Macros
- Modifiers (except LFO)
- Faceplates
- Chord track
- Multi sampler
- Master mix

There are no track or plugin count limits in Waveform Free.
Wow ! That's a really good DAW for MagWare ...

I have T7 because of 32bit, as I can completely achieve what I want with the available set of free plugins, that won't ever be updated. to replace these, I would have to spend at least some 500 bucks alone for plugins. that they might do a lot more after that, isn't the point when its about bitness update costs.

but the bugs and limits will be as crucial as the deliberate restrictions.
T7 has a fairly good latency compensation, and it is known where this ends. I can get along with it.
it has a sick mute mechanism, that worked better already in T6. this is about deep nesting of busses, having to auto-switch the mutes accordingly.
also broken is automation into rack plugins. it shows, but it does not move while playing back.
multiple instances of the same plugin in a rack cannot be distinguished in some situations, e.g. when putting the default knob parameter on the track GUI.
certain racks with certain plugins won't save correctly, when the plugins otherwise work well.
the LFO is already there in T7, but the display is not ok with slower settings and bigger intensity. it works, if we know what we do. basic setting of an LFO'd parameter is not saved, deactivating or deleting the LFO leaves the parameter in unpredictable state, or where it was last time the LFO was moving its value.
something seems strange with the folder and submix track functionalities, but to me they are obsolete because the nested busses concept is powerful enough. seems the effort of the increased complexity gains nothing in return to me.

I still believe T7 is awesome already.
these are additional hints to possibly check out what the state of matters is, in comparison to WF Free...

jabe wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:00 pm
dellboy wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Ah. That'll be Sonar trying to keep up with Waveform then.
I'm pretty sure dellboy knew what you meant, he was just being an $@?#&!%.

jabe wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:03 pm
Waveform was a name change that happened with version 8, so the first version of Waveform would otherwise have been Tracktion 8, but was Waveform 8 instead, because they didn't want the software name and the company name to be the same.
If true, why name it that in the first place?

ndrw9138 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:08 pm Installed the "free" version & after a quick go through it's missing the following:
-drum sampler
-multi-sampler
-master mix
-artisan plugins
-collective
-faceplates

Also, doesn't include the Celemony, or Antares plugins. Not sure if there's a maximum track limit. Overall seems similar to t7 but with the pattern generator and extra synths.
No master mix? Ah that's lame. Everything else I can live without.

Return to “Tracktion”