Phasing when using an aux send / return

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am trying to use a prefader aux send to a "buss" for parallel compression / eq of drums.
When I put an effect in the buss, a phasing occurs. Some effects more extreme than others. UAD plugs are the worst, but all plugins cause this. I do not see a latency setting / automatic latency setting in Waveform. Is there a specific setting for this? I am coming from Logic, Studio One and others as I test out Waveform. Those DAWs have no issues.
Any help is appreciate.
OSX Mojave, latest UAD plugs, Presonus 1824C interface, 2019 Mac mini loaded to the gills.

Waveform doesn't implement full latency compensation with aux sends and this has been a gripe with some users for some time, but it depends on your usage as to whether it's a problem or not. Generally I only put reverbs and delays on aux sends as the small delay doesn't affect these at all. If you want to do parallel compression you can do it by putting the compressor on the actual track or a submix buss and using the wet/dry settings in the control panel for that plugin or put the plugins in a rack and then use the wet/dry settings for the rack. There was some mention that the devs were looking in to improving the aux/send and rack systems to compensate properly for latency but I'm not sure if if any progress has been made with this.

I think it does implement PDC if you have one send/return type plug on a track, but becomes broken if there's more than one per track. So if you're doing parallel compression, and also a send to a reverb track, then it goes wrong.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Thank you for the responses. I did some digging and found info about the non-automatic latency compensation. This is a bummer for serious mixing as I use parallel compressions / busses quiet a bit, especially on drums.
I love the interface though. Should be fun to try to compose / create something.
Best
Rich

Have you tried using the aux send and receive all inside a submix or folder track, iirc this might eliminate the latency.

Mikoatkvr, I have not. I will try and update my results.
Thanks!

FYI
I can sometimes use the Melda MUtility (in their free bundle) that allows me to set a delay by a count of samples (e.g. 128), or milliseconds, and I can switch the latency reporting for this on and off.
when I know the latency of a plugin, then in a parallel path I can put this utility to create the same latency.
and I can take measures for both options: the plugin itself reports correctly, or doesn't.

Return to “Tracktion”