New Raspberry Pi 4B

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought this might be of interest, since Waveform can run on the Raspberry Pi. I'll have to find out what interfaces exist.

I've just watched a video about the latest version (don't know how new it is, but fairly new).

For the 4B, there are options to buy it with 1GB/2GB/4GB of RAM. UK prices are £34/£44/£54.

Also of interest will be the fact the HDMI output socket has been replaced by two mini-HDMI outputs. No idea whether Waveform in its current form will allow two monitors to be used. I suppose that's going to be a Linux function rather than a Waveform one.

Note that the box set in the video is the Desktop Kit, not available yet, and listed at £115, with the 4GB version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXCjpJasvG0
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Very interesting!!!
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

This is interesting. For those who hadn't previously followed the Linux version, what VST's are supported ? In my case, I use USB for both MIDI and audio anyway.

Update: I should have read the Linux FAQ first. Most of it's explained there.

I also get the feeling most Windows/Mac users would be a bit surprised with the complexity of getting it up and running, particularly as a "portable" recording/demo platform used in conjunction with their non-Linux setup.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Do you guys think it will possible to run Wine with Reaper on it ? At least the linux Reaper version should work I think.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Boone777 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:36 pm Do you guys think it will possible to run Wine with Reaper on it ? At least the linux Reaper version should work I think.
No, I don't believe WINE will work. The Raspberry Pi uses an ARM architecture and WINE is based of of the X86 architecture. I could be wrong, but I don't think it will work.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator.

WINE simulates the Windoze API but does not attempt to emulate or virtualize the x86/x64 architecture that it normally runs on. WINE itself should work just fine on ARM, but being able to use WINE is not the same as being able to execute x86/x64 Windows binaries... though that is possible (with slow performance) by combining WINE with a suitable emulator.

More info here: https://wiki.winehq.org/ARM

Thank you
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

fde101 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:25 pm WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator.

WINE simulates the Windoze API but does not attempt to emulate or virtualize the x86/x64 architecture that it normally runs on. WINE itself should work just fine on ARM, but being able to use WINE is not the same as being able to execute x86/x64 Windows binaries... though that is possible (with slow performance) by combining WINE with a suitable emulator.

More info here: https://wiki.winehq.org/ARM
WOW!!! I just went down the most fascinating rabbit hole for the last 2 hours!! Thank you for providing that link!!!! I didn't know it was even possible to run cross-architecture emulation!!!! I always believed that the emulation had to be on the same architecture and the emulators would just emulate at the OS level!!! Way, way cool!!!!!

Curious, why would you want to run Reaper in Wine, rather than just the linux version of Reaper?
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

chico.co.uk wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:53 pm Curious, why would you want to run Reaper in Wine, rather than just the linux version of Reaper?
Linux-native Reaper is fine, but LinVST and WINE would add exponentially to the sonic palette. 🙂

I would rather go for a LatePanda board to avoid the WINE hassle https://www.lattepanda.com

We purchased a Rpi Zero recently and went bananas a few days ago. Not very happy with it.
Tim Tanaka @ discoDSP Plug-ins for iOS, macOS, Windows and Linux
OB-Xd Oberheim based synth for iPad

Tim @ discoDSP wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:54 am I would rather go for a LatePanda board to avoid the WINE hassle https://www.lattepanda.com

We purchased a Rpi Zero recently and went bananas a few days ago. Not very happy with it.
How is the Linux distro support for desktop OSes? Does it run all of the same OSes that a normal desktop would run? How about driver support for on-board hardware? Thanks!

Tim @ discoDSP wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:54 am
What was the problem and what were you expecting it to do that it didn't?
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

It sounds like the 4B gets very hot. Perhaps there will be some sort of heatsink in the near future.

jabe wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:40 am
Tim @ discoDSP wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:54 am
What was the problem and what were you expecting it to do that it didn't?
It didn't turned on anymore. Fortunately Amazon return policy got the issue handled properly.
Tim Tanaka @ discoDSP Plug-ins for iOS, macOS, Windows and Linux
OB-Xd Oberheim based synth for iPad

Return to “Tracktion”