Request. move project side panel and button to close the project

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

• In the project tab, there is a button for a new project, but I also want a close button.
The right click menu has one cushion to the desired operation, which is inconvenient when replacing multiple projects.
  • You may find it helpful if the side panel can be moved to the left as well as the right.
Especially when using dual monitors.

This is a demand, and it is not particularly urgent.
It is painful if we keep silent even if we have questions or requests.
We don't have to. That's the great thing about Waveform forum an Waveform. =)
yes we know, "Do not think whether it will be implemented." ||)

Are you really closing multiple projects at the same time, all the time, and this has become an inconvenience?
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

@chico.co.uk
Thanks, There are some explanations.
We organize the files. It will change and move the directory name containing the project.
It is possible to configure from the lost directory to the new directory in the waveform edit panel.
But one click to open the menu, one more click to select the menu, one more click to select the location .. I think this will take much more time.
for us, drag and drop is much easier and more intuitive. We just drag and drop .tracktionedit and .tracktion into the panel!

chico.co.uk wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:16 pm Are you really closing multiple projects at the same time, all the time, and this has become an inconvenience?
Well, that's why we thought it would be nice if there was a button to close the project. This is to organize the old directory projects left in the panel.
The dragged and dropped project is opened as a new project.

Moving DAW project files around while working on them is generally a bad idea. It is much better to organize them BEFORE you start working with them whenever possible so that you don't need to do this at all. What you are asking for is functionality that will take up space on the main projects tab interface to support a nonstandard and rather questionable workflow, though granted that there is space available there for it...

A possible alternative might be to have a preference that could be enabled to have Waveform automatically check its list of projects when certain events take place and remove any that are not actually open in tabs and which are not found where expected on the disks. One of the events that could trigger that would be adding another project to the list, so that when you move things around and drag them into the list, Waveform would notice that the previous entries pointed to projects that were no longer there and remove them automatically.

That should definitely be a preference if done that way, however, and disabled by default, since this would also mean that people working with external storage that is not always connected could have their projects mysteriously disappear when they open Waveform if they don't have all of their disks mounted at that time...

@fde101
Does Waveform truncate an artist trying to use a non-standard you judge, and force an artist to produce in a manner that is judged your standard?
We do not only go in the way that you generally think bad.
And we think that you have your idea, but we do not agree with it, but we do not deny it. It is one of the other opinions.
You seem to strongly think that there should be no button there, even if there is a space there.
well, we ask you, are you a developer of waveform? Or is all the idea of ​​waveform decided by your judgment?
you don't have to answer. We hate controversy.

Move a project, Search for lost files in a project.
These force operations on the file browser inside waveform.
And these do not recognize copy and paste strings under ubuntu-linux, and always force operations with Waveform own file browser.
Also about this, we have sent an email from the Waveform site mail form asking if it can not use the OS file system instead of Waveform own file system.
There is a workaround, but once you copy and paste the file path into a text editor etc., it will be recognized. This is just like a trick.
Last edited by thintrne on Tue May 21, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

We said our opinion on how to make project management easier.
We, of course, don't say that Waveform must implement this change! It just said that there are just such ideas.
We first said.
yes we know, "Do not think whether it will be implemented." ||)
I'm not expecting if our ideas will be incorporated into Waveform, that's it.

The way you said doesn't work, and waveform didn't delete the project when restarted it.
There is only a grayed out project and a project that can not be read.
And you want to smash the non-standard ideas you judge?
But we will probably use more non-standard ideas, have them, and say =)

thintrne wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:36 am And we think that you have your idea, but we do not agree with it, but we do not deny it. It is one of the other opinions.
That is fine, you can have your own way of working, but note that my comments are not restricted to Waveform and it is not just me - it is very common for professional media applications (video editors, etc.) to expect files to stay at a fixed path while they are being worked on. While many of them do provide functionality to "re-link" to files after they have moved, this means extra steps in each case, which generally need to be followed for each individual project. The idea of moving files around while still working on a project is so foreign to the way that professional software works that it is really asking for trouble. Any workflow that has that requirement is highly questionable and you need to expect that it will be disruptive and inefficient.
You seem to strongly think that there should be no button there, even if there is a space there.
No, not all that strongly. I do think it would be a bit excessive, but if the space is available, may as well use it if it helps someone. I was pointing out some alternatives that would help to avoid the clutter for a feature that no one should really need.
well, we ask you, are you a developer of waveform? Or is all the idea of ​​waveform decided by your judgment?
No, but I do work with a number of professional media applications and know enough to realize that your suggested workflow would fall apart very quickly with most of them - with many of the applications I use trying to work that way would cause much bigger hassles than what you are complaining about here. It is not a normal way of working and if you are going to break the mold then you need to realize that there will be complications to work through as a result. If the developers of Waveform decide to add a "Close selected" button or implement my other suggested workaround that is fine by me - but if you move on to other applications of a similar nature you will probably have painted yourself into a corner. Consider it simply a fair warning that whatever happens with this request, becoming accustomed to the described workflow could cause you bigger problems down the road.

Return to “Tracktion”