Feature request - add intervals to notes in MIDI clips

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry if this feature already exists and I just haven't spotted it!

Basically what I like to do is improvise a MIDI section and then add intervals, e.g., adding a second violin part after playing the first violin part.

What I'd like to do, for example, is be able to click on the note and then say under the 'Transpose' drop-down menu on the MIDI clip, is hold down say Shift or Ctrl and have it add the interval rather than transpose the note itself.

Does such a feature already exist? I'm aware of the chord track and pattern generator but haven't played around with them yet.

You could choose "Create Chord" instead of "Transpose" and use that to harmonise the note, but most of the chords are triads, or more.

So as an extended solution, you could create your own custom chords, with intervals that you want to use for this purpose, then use "Create Chord" and select those custom chords, to do what you want.

Alternatively you can Command + drag the note to a harmonised position, if that's easier (not sure of the modifier on windows, at present)
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

You could copy the parts you want to use for your second violin to a new track and use the Pitch Shift plug-in to change the notes. That way you can do whole sections in one go, rather than note by note.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

You can do multiple notes at the same time with the create chord method btw. Assuming you want to add the same interval harmonies to all the ones you select.
Last edited by chico.co.uk on Mon May 13, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

All good advice, thanks!

For some reason I was forgetting about using Ctrl+Drag for MIDI in this context and that does basically what I want it to do.

I think the main reason I was thinking about adding intervals was sometimes I don't want to try and work out in my head which note is correct, but really that's just laziness on my part haha

Return to “Tracktion”