Tracktion 7 - No longer hear any audio for playback, but...

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Agreed, but what information -specifically- would assist you and others in determining the problem?

The exclamation point says there is no audio out chosen, yet there is, I can hear the drums. There is not exclamation error for the guitar, which I cannot hear.

Can you post a screengrab of the right hand side of the screen, where the MT-PowerDrumkit is on the track, and the properties panel, when you have one of the tracks selected that's going to MT-PowerDrumkit?

With the best will in the world, that's the third time I've asked for the same thing
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

I apologize Chico, I had explained the situation and thought I had a picture of that track but I did not. Here it is.

In this setting I can hear all the drum tracks with the ! just fine. Remove the VST in the lower right, track 1 guitar comes back on but drums off. Was this the screen shot you wanted?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

In addition: I CAN REPRODUCE THIS ISSUE ON A DIFFERENT MODEL LAPTOP

The one in all the pictures is a Lenovo T420S with Windows x64 Pro all the latest updates as well as the latest tracktion.

System 2 - Lenovo Yoga, same OS and latest updates, same tracktion. Installed fresh traction, ASIO4ALL, did not install the Behringer driver, ran a test microphone track 1 "Test 123, test 123" works fine, sounds fine.

Track 2, added VST MT Power Drums, chose a random groove, imported to track 2, plays fine, clear but unfortunately Track 1 vocal audio test is now silent, like system 1.

Okay, so what you've done is put the MT power drumkit on the master out, not on an individual track. That's your problem

That plugin only takes midi input, so it'll now get all the midi input from all the tracks, and generate drum noises, that will work, but it blocks any audio sent to it, so you can't hear your guitar.

What you actually want to do, is create a new track, call it MT Power Drumkit, and put that VST just to the left of the volume/pan on that track, and then on each of your midi tracks, point those to that new track. Leave your guitar going to the default audio out

That's one way of doing it. Another way would be to use send and return filters, again to send the midi to a new track, with your Drum VST on it

A third way of doing it would be to wrap the MT Power Drumkit in a rack filter, and put that rack filter on each track that makes a drum sound, just to the left of the volume/pan filter.

When i get a bit more time, i'll mock something up in an edit to show you what i mean, if that doesn't make sense

But yeah, you can't have the Drumkit vst there, that's your master out, and that vst will block any tracks that aren't midi from making noise
Last edited by chico.co.uk on Wed May 15, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Set it up like this ... Where I've got the "Battery 4" plugin, put your MT Power-Drumkit there, on it's own new track, with that plugin just to the left of the volume and pan control

Then select each drum track, like I've selected the one called "Main Open HH" and look down in the properties panel where it says "Track Destination". Click on that, and change it from "Default Output" to the track called "MT Power Drumkit"
Screenshot 2019-05-15 at 16.49.15.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks Chico! I will give that a try a bit later today and if that works, which I believe/hope it will, I will post a screen shot and perhaps detail what I did wrong so that it may help others in the future. Appreciate your time and quick responses on this!

Thanks!

Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that Chicos suggestion was spot on 100% and solved all my problems! I am back in action once again and thanks so much Chico for the help, very much appreciated!

Case closed

:)

One picture is worth a thousand words... glad you are up and running.

Hey Y'all,

I'm having a problem with the sound output also. Granted this is my very first time using Waveform, I'm used to Reason but I lost my licence for it so I've downloaded this.
Anyway, I've dropped in a Drum Loop from the Clips section and into the master view but when I try to play it in the master view no sound at all comes out... I've checked all the outputs and they're all set to "Default Audio Output" so I've NO CLUE why I can't hear anything.

Anyone else had this problem? I know it would be a quick fix I just can't for the life of me figure out what that is.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Adam Hollywood.

Check what your output "default" is - have you changed it? (i.e. from USB headphones from internal soundcard, or USB audio device....).

Are the output meters on the right moving at all?

Have you tried running the "test device" under device settings? It sends a simple sine wave for a few seconds to the selected output device, just to make sure the device itself is working on the operating system.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Not totally sure about some of this, but... I'd always figured I should play with this to understand it.

1. I think you select ONE of the ASIO device "drivers". Not sure if you can have multiple; seems you PICK the one you want. Behringer, or Asio4all - but I've gathered most of the manufacturer's versions don't allow the multi-devices the Asio4All does.
2. Within the ASIO settings, you can have multiple devices selected and enabled. If they are not all at the same rate (i.e. 48k vs 44.1k), you may not be able to select them, or some automatically disabled.
2a. In the Waveform settings, you pick which ONE is the default output device. Reverify this if you change ASIO settings.
3. Changes made to the ASIO settings seem to take place only when you reset the output (input?) device after you've made all selections.
4. On the channel strip (right), you CAN play with the output device to select alternate output devices per track. I had "moved" the MT drums to a set of USB phones, and could hear the mix with all instruments BUT drums in the PC speakers output, but only the drums through the headphones (and hear everything else through the PC speakers as "default output"
5. Output rates supported could make a difference. I couldn't seem to get a bluetooth speaker working in Waveform, but it only supported 8k single channel output
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Return to “Tracktion”