Current and previous build crash-prone, continually deregistering and fail to find/open projects

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not sure what's going on lately, but I've found Waveform 10 - esp. the most recent builds - to have some pretty big problems. Not only do they crash pretty regularly, but they also like to de-register and prompt me to unlock them again. Even worse, like just happened now, they can't open project files. All the files are there, but it "hates" a particular folder/project and won't see them (launching from the project file starts W10 but won't open the project file). This isn't the first time or the first project where it's happened, either. Because of the crashing are the project files corrupt or does it think they are? I tried restoring from the internal backup to no avail. Am now trying to restore from by file backup to the cloud that happens every other hour. Oh, I even tried uninstalling W10 and installing it again.

I'm hoping the Tracktion crew can keep cranking on wiping out the bugs because they seem to be biting.

EDIT: restoring from backup again and copying/pasting files to the original directory worked - though of course it prompted me to unlock again for the 10th time in the last 10 minutes.

Can I ask what version you’re using?
We’ve just released 10.0.34 which has quite a few bug fixes in it.

Can you send us some of your crash logs so we can see what might be causing the crashes.
Usually in these situations it’s one specific thing in your setup or with a specific plugin that keeps triggering the same bug.

We monitor the crashes reported and try and prioritise the most frequent ones so there’s a good chance we’ve fixed this in 10.0.34 already.
If not, we can see from your log file.

I’m not quite sure why it would become unlocked. The only thing I can think of is that your settings file is becoming corrupt.

Do other settings break like your plugin list, groove templates etc?

Let me try the latest build for awhile starting today and see what happens. I haven't had any other oddities happen in terms of seeming corruption. When it does crash it does tend to blame a plugin but it's generally a different one each time it does.

If it still gives me grief I'll file a bug and attach logs etc. to see if we can figure it out. I'm assuming this is a weird exception. I'm a designer/user researcher and have always had a "talent" for running into weird edge cases, intentionally or not. 😀

Unfortunately, it's still happening. I'll get to filing an issue.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:26 pm When it does crash it does tend to blame a plugin but it's generally a different one each time it does.
If the plugin exists in multiple versions (VST, VST3, AU if you are on a Mac), try switching to a different version of the plugin to see if it works better. I have found that the VST(2) version of one plugin will work while the VST3 and AU versions crash, while some other plugin it will be one of the other versions that does not crash.

The plugin validation feature with W10 can be helpful to identify these, but in some cases a plugin that fails validation seems to work just fine in practice, while a plugin that passes validation might still crash when used in the DAW, so it is not 100% accurate.

Interesting. Ill dig into that tonight to swap out where I can. Fewer crashes would be good since that seems to trigger the other bad behavior.

Sure, once you identify which versions tend to be problematic, I recommend going into the plugins list in Settings and unchecking the ones that cause problems so that they do not appear in the list of plugins you can add - that way you can be more confident of adding the one that works.

I'd like to see Tracktion add a check to make sure that more than one instance of Waveform doesn't re-launch when it crashes. I just ended up with 3 open and I just sat here as it did that itself.

Ugh. Just lost my project folder again. Time to restore. Think I need to stop using Waveform. Hopefully this can be resolved or I'll be forced to use a different DAW. Yuck.

I think what might be happening here is that some audio drivers are failing to release correctly and keeping the old process alive.
I'm not sure why that results in lost project but I'll look in to that today.

I'll also add a check to ensure there are no existing "Waveform 10.exe" processes running when attempting to recover to avoid this probem.

dRowAudio wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:55 am I think what might be happening here is that some audio drivers are failing to release correctly and keeping the old process alive.
I'm not sure why that results in lost project but I'll look in to that today.

I'll also add a check to ensure there are no existing "Waveform 10.exe" processes running when attempting to recover to avoid this problem.
Thanks!!

(And for anyone else reading this in the future: I'm a long-time, happy Tracktion user, and have never had issues like this before. There is something "special" or "lucky" with my specific setup, and this isn't a common reflection of what it's like to use Waveform - I encourage everyone to try it out.)

I cannot get DrumCore 4 to scale dui properly since Waveform 9.21. Nothing seems to get it out of a window with less than 1/3 of total gui. The plugin works, playing loops, but I can't navigate without changing window size. It always worked up to and including Waveform 9.21, but on NOTHING since. I'm using Windows Pro 7. What is different since 9.21?

Oh, DrumCore 4 is vst3, no vst2

Try toggling the "Enable DPI Awareness" option from the "=" button in the top left of the plugin window.

Return to “Tracktion”