I'm so tired of pops and clicks on loops

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

*EDITED*

Each time I try to create loops or songs, they work flawlessly as MIDI Clips but as soon as I render them, the clicks and pops appear. And fade in out doesn't work unless you drag those lines across the entire clip.
Last edited by ogquality808 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here's a visual for better understanding YouTube Video Link: https://youtu.be/_0GmjIkLy_E

Render your clips a half or whole bar past the loop zone and then drag the tails on the front and back of the clip to size to your looped section.

I'm having a hard time hearing exactly what kind of click you're seeing. Is it that the start of the clip just doesn't start at a zero crossing?

I think we'd need to see more about how you're creating the MIDI to determine the correct way to deal with this.
And fade in out doesn't work unless you drag those lines across the entire clip.
This doesn't sound right, the fade handles should work no matter how long they are. I was testing this just last night.

Maybe when you are creating your audio loop you want to add some master volume fades so they get applied to the audio render?

@dRowAudio here I can't explain it. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't and it's weird. I don't want to fade my loops otherwaise they don't sound like the MIDI.

At the end of the video the clicks appear again. If you guys don't hear anything in this video as well then it must be my speakers but i meant it recorded it so it's clearly there

https://youtu.be/h0Bnf_2Zi00

Sometimes with both lines dragged to the middle of the clip and u can still hear the clicks. It's either a bug or I'm doing something very wrong. Thanks to all the replies.

@lay it productions, I've tried and it works but if I cut the unnecessary part of the loop at the end it's same problem again

While we're at it, here's another bug I just noticed after updating to 10.0.28

https://youtu.be/Alt1eriowI4

I was able to hear it in the original video (haven't checked the new ones yet) - it is very faint so you really need to listen for it but it is definitely there.

I just keep everything MIDI and only render if the first export has hissing/clicks from the plugins

This all sounds and looks like a zero-crossing problem to me. If the rendered output doesn't start on a 0 value, it will click. How loud the click depends on how far the value is from 0. If you've rendered MIDI from a synth, I would think that the synth is generating a sound with 0 attack time that uses a waveform with a 90 degree phase. That would cause a click at the beginning. It might not happen in real time if the oscillator is constantly cycling, causing the phase at the start of a note during real time playback to be effectively random and the click less pronounced.

The same is true at the end of the clip when looping. If the end values do not exactly match the starting values, you'll get a click. If you add a fade-in with no fade-out and the last value is not close to zero then when it loops back, it will jump from the last value to zero and click.

This doesn't happen when playing back in real time with MIDI because in that case, when it loops back, the synth plays a new note that mixes in with the trail end of the previous notes, which mix smoothly into the current output. This results in a continuous smooth mixed wave.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

That makes sense.

fromwithin wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:14 pm This all sounds and looks like a zero-crossing problem to me. If the rendered output doesn't start on a 0 value, it will click. How loud the click depends on how far the value is from 0. If you've rendered MIDI from a synth, I would think that the synth is generating a sound with 0 attack time that uses a waveform with a 90 degree phase. That would cause a click at the beginning. It might not happen in real time if the oscillator is constantly cycling, causing the phase at the start of a note during real time playback to be effectively random and the click less pronounced.

The same is true at the end of the clip when looping. If the end values do not exactly match the starting values, you'll get a click. If you add a fade-in with no fade-out and the last value is not close to zero then when it loops back, it will jump from the last value to zero and click.

This doesn't happen when playing back in real time with MIDI because in that case, when it loops back, the synth plays a new note that mixes in with the trail end of the previous notes, which mix smoothly into the current output. This results in a continuous smooth mixed wave.
I thought it could be related to the synth and I've noticed it happens more on some free synths I use rather than collective but even with collective now it all makes sense to me.

I had no clue about the phase and OSC but I always messed with them and whenever clicks disappeared, I'd just try not to mess it up again but i didn't know those can cause clicks.

thanks

Synths sometimes start with random phase to reduce phasing issues between notes.

Return to “Tracktion”