BR: no sound on external synths

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In the midi editor:
Clicking on the left hand keyboard or the notes doesn't produce a sound when the track outputs to an external synth. It does work when the track outputs to Collective.
However, when starting playback, it outputs to the external synth, during playing.

W10.0.28
Windows 10

Same config as you, and it works fine for me (assuming you mean an external hardware synth).

Just wondering if the MIDI track is set to output to your external synths, and the input back from the synths is set to your audio driver. What you described did plague me for a few minutes, until I realized the MIDI output was confused.

The reason I believe that happened was the new "auto select input" feature. It had a little trouble with understanding the difference between a MIDI input and a line input, until I disabled the feature.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

I have the input set to no input.
Also, if you stop playback, the playing notes hang.
Where do you find "auto select input"?
Playback on external midi synths works awfully on my system.

I have now found what causes the problem.
It only happens when I use the Roland UM-2G midi interface.
If I use the Focusrite USB midi output, it works as it should.
So why doesn't it work with the Roland?

There is still a problem with previewing notes in the midi editor.
It usually works but sometimes there is no sound or the sound is cut very short when you click on a note or the vertical keyboard. When this starts to happen, the problem is constant. I don't know what makes it go away. Probably restarting the program.
This problem has been with us since several versions back.

Is this a problem with the transport cursor being left outside of the loop range whilst loop is turned on?
I seem to remember this being an issue in previous versions.

dRowAudio wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:00 am Is this a problem with the transport cursor being left outside of the loop range whilst loop is turned on?
I seem to remember this being an issue in previous versions.
The problem is with the cursor within the loop range too. An it doesn't matter if looping is turned on or not.
I tried to restart Waveform but that didn't help.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused as to the problem here.
Is the issue with previewing notes applicable to software instruments (VST/VST3 etc.) or only external ones?

dRowAudio wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:42 pm Sorry, I'm a bit confused as to the problem here.
Is the issue with previewing notes applicable to software instruments (VST/VST3 etc.) or only external ones?
It's external instruments at the moment. But in W9 it happened with Collective too.
When I came back from lunch, it had started working again. Maybe because the laptop had been in hibernation mode during the lunch?
Could changing the pre-delay of the MIDI output affect it? I had changed it to 23 ms late, because the synth played early, and changed it back to see if it affected the problem. But changing it back didn't solve the problem directly.

Return to “Tracktion”