Latency Compensation in Waveform. Important question. (PDC problems)

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys, I have a question, how can I compensate for the latency, and can we somehow configure Waveform to do this automatically? And does Waveform behave normally in my video example, is this not a glitch?

I recorded a video with three examples of signal latency. For a more visual demonstration, I took a plugin that introduces a large latency (Reafir Standalone), and I try to process the signal with them, mixing it in parallel.

I took a video, because it is easier to show than to describe in words, especially since English is not my native language, and I know it badly, I use a translator, so if there are mistakes in my sentences and you don’t understand what I want to say, write about this, I will try to paraphrase so that it was clear.

Video - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dga5sX ... krsV5/view
Last edited by Clac on Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adjusting for latency is mentioned in the Quick Start Guide, which you can read via the Help button. There's more in the full user guide, also available via the Help button.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

I think you've highlighted the current limitations of the PDC implementation in Waveform.
We do have a plan to improve upon all of these soon but this won't be until after the W10 launch I'm afraid.

dRowAudio wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:47 pm I think you've highlighted the current limitations of the PDC implementation in Waveform.
We do have a plan to improve upon all of these soon but this won't be until after the W10 launch I'm afraid.
Oh, how glad I am to hear that you are dealing with this problem!
For me, this will be the most awaited update.

Clac wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:44 am
dRowAudio wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:47 pm I think you've highlighted the current limitations of the PDC implementation in Waveform.
Oh, how glad I am to hear that you are dealing with this problem!
For me, this will be the most awaited update.
+1
This will be awesome!

The cheers get louder!

So good to hear that you're not waiting for W11 to tackle this issue!

Yeeeeeessssssssss ! ;-)))))))

dRowAudio wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:47 pm
Hello. I apologize right away, I don’t want to become impudent, and somehow climb into your work, but I’m so interested to know that I cannot help asking these questions. :)
How are things going with you removing latency, is there any improvement?
When can we expect updates with the new latency compensation system?

Hi@all
Push this Important Thread a little upwards, to be seen by the Dev‘s
:D :hihi:
I don’t speak English, but this very well :D

They can be a latency problem at times but they are so powerful. I can help with this. Using Racks is a every day thing to me .

So when you want to setup a parallel chain you must put 2 instances of the same plugins on both of the parallel chains and with 2 volume fader connect one to input and one to output of the chain and disable the plugins on the chain you don't want the processing or (dry) this will make the Rack work smother because both chains has the same amount of latency compensation and you will want to turn down the first volume fader by about 5.0db to get a even signal.

You also can't put a Aux and a Rack on the same track this will through off everything.
even if they are disabled

When using a Aux you want to make sure it is the last plugin in the chain if you want little or no latency.
Some Plugins just have to much latency to be sent all around without latency in this DAW. You want the Aux send to calculate every plugin in the track before being sent to the return so that is why you want it last in the chain.

But sometimes i put it first or anywhere in the chain because I want the delay effect.

Also if you are sending a track to a sub and put a send on it you must create a master fader track
to send the Aux return and the sub to before going to the Waveform Master fader. For some reason it helps but it takes more cpu power but not much.

A few tips:

I never use a plugin with more than 25% latency after or before a Aux Return or Rack, but I will put one in a Rack. but This is only when I am using Synth plugins. and even then its no latency issues because the is almost on every track so I guest that keep it in sink at least while enabled disable one and things get weird. :hihi:

It is also best to put your Aux Send or Parallel Rack on your sub bus tracks when possible to limit and almost avoid this issue.

If the plugins that I am using on a track that I want to use a Aux or Rack to do post processing to is causing latency. I print the track then use the Aux or Rack.

I hope this help :tu:

Is this latency responsible for tracks being a few ms off after I render them to audio? I constantly have to adjust bounced tracks to make sure they're not off.

It shouldn't be. But could be dependant on your Edit configuration.
I'm going to try and look at the latency issues this week.

I must say, T6 did quite well with timing compensation, but it was not too stable with automation.

lay it prodctions wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:26 am They can be a latency problem at times but they are so powerful. I can help with this. Using Racks is a every day thing to me .

So when you want to setup a parallel chain you must put 2 instances of the same plugins on both of the parallel chains and with 2 volume fader connect one to input and one to output of the chain and disable the plugins on the chain you don't want the processing or (dry) this will make the Rack work smother because both chains has the same amount of latency compensation and you will want to turn down the first volume fader by about 5.0db to get a even signal.

You also can't put a Aux and a Rack on the same track this will through off everything.
even if they are disabled

When using a Aux you want to make sure it is the last plugin in the chain if you want little or no latency.
Some Plugins just have to much latency to be sent all around without latency in this DAW. You want the Aux send to calculate every plugin in the track before being sent to the return so that is why you want it last in the chain.

But sometimes i put it first or anywhere in the chain because I want the delay effect.

Also if you are sending a track to a sub and put a send on it you must create a master fader track
to send the Aux return and the sub to before going to the Waveform Master fader. For some reason it helps but it takes more cpu power but not much.

A few tips:

I never use a plugin with more than 25% latency after or before a Aux Return or Rack, but I will put one in a Rack. but This is only when I am using Synth plugins. and even then its no latency issues because the is almost on every track so I guest that keep it in sink at least while enabled disable one and things get weird. :hihi:

It is also best to put your Aux Send or Parallel Rack on your sub bus tracks when possible to limit and almost avoid this issue.

If the plugins that I am using on a track that I want to use a Aux or Rack to do post processing to is causing latency. I print the track then use the Aux or Rack.

I hope this help :tu:
Thanks for these tips.
But I still think that this should be fixed in the program. Today it is simply necessary that all latencies are automatically compensated for in DAW.

dRowAudio wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:36 am I'm going to try and look at the latency issues this week.
Looking forward to, thank you.

Return to “Tracktion”