Help for a frustrated beginner

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The only advantage of the sampler is its simplicity. It's been in tracktion since version 1, i think, and hasn't had any upgrades. It's a really basic sampler, you don't get any of the velocity layering that you can do in multi-sampler (eg, it plays one sample if you hit the key softly, another if you hit it hard), can't do round robin-ing of samples, so it cycles through a bunch of similar samples, so that things like hi-hats sound more natural, not "machine gun", because it's the same sample being repeated over and over again.

The multi-samplers definitely a better option, if you're comfortable getting samples in and out of it. The basic sampler is cheap and cheerful, if you just want to try something in a hurry.

If you've got a drum sample in the multi-sampler you want to press the ADSR button in the bottom right of the Sounds tab, to turn that from ADSR mode to One Shot, and it will play the whole sample from start to finish
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Hi. So ‘ignore release’ worked on the sampler but changing adsr to one shot didn’t seem to do anything. Will try again tomorrow...

DavyNix wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:49 pm Hi. So ‘ignore release’ worked on the sampler but changing adsr to one shot didn’t seem to do anything. Will try again tomorrow...
Ignore me...it does work! And I just found it buried deep in the manual too :dog: . One last question on the multi sampler (yeah right :wink: ) which I can't find reference to in the manual... The quick zones are useful but don't exactly match channels in the step clip. For example there's a channel called base drum 1, but no matching quick zone. Is this something thats configurable or am i missing the concept. Its not a big deal.. I get how to assign the samples to the channels manually, I'm just curious.

Would be great to name a channel and then that appear in the quick zone list.

DavyNix wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:47 am For example there's a channel called base drum 1, but no matching quick zone.

Would be great to name a channel and then that appear in the quick zone list.
It's called Kick in multi sampler.

That's a good idea for a feature request. Added to the list.

If we're into FRs, an option to order the channels in step clips the other way round would get a thumbs up from me ;)

(because midi clips have the kick (keyboard note C) below the snare (D), as do other guis like EZ Drummer patterns, Jamstix patterns, but Step clips have the kick above the snare, with the hats then below the snare. Which is the wrong way round, to my mind, and makes looking at a pattern and seeing what it does, counter intuitive)

ie, step clip of kick, snare, kick kick, snare looks like this,
stepclip1.jpg
but the equivalent midi clip is up the other way ;
midiclip1.jpg
(oh, and slightly thicker lines, or shading or something, to show where the whole beats are, in step clips, would also be very welcome - they're kind of there in midi clips, not in step clips)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi All.. quick one, I think.... (still on the Step clip topic)

Programmed a couple of loops in full (in that, the loop sounds how I want it to be at the peak of the track) Copy and pasted the clip track out to 32 bars. The idea was then to go back to the first 8 bars and take out some of the channels so the drum track builds. But for some reason I now can't edit the clips! When I click on them its only the cursor that jumps to where i'm clicking. What have a I pressed? :dog:

Ignore the above. So when you drag the clip out you can only edit the original bar right? I had some how managed to delete that.

Yes, because when you drag it out you're looping what you did in your original pattern. So you do your editing on the original bar/however many bars you made the pattern be.

You can duplicate an existing pattern easy enough, and edit the second pattern, if you want to create variations on your basic thing, removing or adding stuff, but if youre making loads of changes, over the course of multiple bars, it might be easier to drag out the pattern to the length you want, then convert it to a midi clip, then edit it in the midi editor. Sometimes it's easier one way, sometimes the other, you'd want to experiment and see what suits you best in the tune you're doing.

Return to “Tracktion”