Waveform 10 Public Beta

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It might be an idea for people reporting W10 feedback to start a new thread prefixed with "[W10 Beta]: My Title Here" or this one is going to get very complex very quickly...

dRowAudio wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:12 pm Well this is the reason we run beta periods, precisely to iron out these kinds of bugs!
Legendary! :hihi:
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

dRowAudio wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:12 pm
scalawag wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:58 pm Logged on into my account with my username and password and downloaded succesfully.
Installed, run it and it asks for my username and password.
Failed!!!
It doesn't accept the same username and password i used to logon on Tracktion website. It only runs in demo mode.
I don't want to hear a voice telling me it's running in demo mode!!
What a good start....
Well this is the reason we run beta periods, precisely to iron out these kinds of bugs!

It sounds like either you have some kind of firewall in place or there was a problem adding the beta licence to your account. Email Brian our web dev at support@tracktion.com and he'll get you up and running.
Email sent.
What is also strange is that my W9 licensed version is giving me a Marketplace login error since i installed W10 Beta version

Are there any improvements to the chord track / pattern generators?

With regard to Pluginval, I tried to use it on both vst2 and vst3. It gave me that error for every plugin I tried, and I tried a bunch.

Hi! I don't know if it a bug, but archives from w9 won't open in beta. In fact, they start w10, but then nothing happens. Is it means that old archives can be opened in w9 only?

netsvetaev wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:11 pm Hi! I don't know if it a bug, but archives from w9 won't open in beta. In fact, they start w10, but then nothing happens. Is it means that old archives can be opened in w9 only?
Sounds like a bug. I just tried with a simple archive and it seems fine here. Can you share one of your archives with me at roland@tracktion.com. Probably via Dropbox if it's large.

FigBug wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:26 pm
netsvetaev wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:11 pm Hi! I don't know if it a bug, but archives from w9 won't open in beta. In fact, they start w10, but then nothing happens. Is it means that old archives can be opened in w9 only?
Sounds like a bug. I just tried with a simple archive and it seems fine here. Can you share one of your archives with me at roland@tracktion.com. Probably via Dropbox if it's large.
I have opened several archives from W9 without problem.

FigBug wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:26 pm Sounds like a bug. I just tried with a simple archive and it seems fine here. Can you share one of your archives with me at roland@tracktion.com. Probably via Dropbox if it's large.
Yes, it's a bug. Also I can't open any projects from Finder. Creating new and opening existing projects and archives from w10 menu is ok.
I'm on MacOS 10.14.

dRowAudio wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:56 pm I'm not sure why GNOME refuses to show the app icon.

Do you know of the library call equivalent to set the WM_CLASS so we can do it in code?

If not, perhaps we can do it via a shell from the app? E.g. by calling

Code: Select all

std::system ("xprop -name "Waveform" -f WM_CLASS 8s -set WM_CLASS "Waveform10"");
on startup? Anyone know if that would work?
if the second idea is basically "run a bash from within C++ code" this should work. I would love to try it in a new beta version :D :love:

I think this is due to a Window-name/process-name mismatch
The process is called Waveform10

But the window is named "Waveform"

The .desktop file contains

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Waveform10
GenericName=Waveform
Comment=Audio and MIDI workstation
Exec=/usr/bin/Waveform10 %u
Icon=waveform10
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=AudioVideo;AudioEditing;
MimeType=application/x-waveform10-project;
Version=1.0

Taken from
https://askubuntu.com/questions/367396/ ... es#tab-top
Modern Linux desktop environments (Gnome 3, Ubuntu Unity, Docky) use the WMClass property to associate windows with the owning application. Many Java-based applications have the problem where the windows created by the application are not associated with the shortcut used to start the application (so the dock contains multiple copies of the same icon).

So the field called StartupWMClass is a string that defines in which class the application is grouped in the Unity Launcher at startup.

You can find out which WM_CLASS your window has got when you type in a terminal:

xprop WM_CLASS
and then click at the window. In case of the gnome terminal the output is as follows:

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "gnome-terminal", "Gnome-terminal"
So all windows with WM_CLASS "gnome-terminal" and "Gnome-terminal" are grouped together.

When you try that with Waveform10 the output is "unknown", but when you run "my" command the output is "Waveform10":

Renaming the window didn't help but my std::system and your command line did. Slightly annoyingly this only works after the named window has been created so there's a bit of a delay at the start but works once the splash screen has closed.
Thanks for the info!

Whoever is getting crashes with Kontact 5, could you contact me with a basic edit that reproduces the crash and the exact version number of Kontact that you are using. Send an email to roland@tracktion.com

Thanks

Are edits created in 10 backwards compatible with 9?

Rock wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:43 pm Are edits created in 10 backwards compatible with 9?
No. Create a copy of any edit before you open it in W10.

FigBug wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:00 pm
Rock wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:43 pm Are edits created in 10 backwards compatible with 9?
No. Create a copy of any edit before you open it in W10.
aaagrh! Sad. I will buy w10 anyway.
And thanks for ui improvements.

Does plugin validation have any practical use? Because some of them are not working, and I know that, and validation confirms that. But what can I do with that information?

Think I'd found another bug. Clips splits in a strange way in "snap" mode. I understand snapping to tempo/signature grid, but it often misses grid at all, splitting track around it. Maybe it is the way it works, but I can't understand why.

UPD. Ok, I get it. Track are now splits under cursor position. It's good.

Return to “Tracktion”