Tracktion Engine

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To my surprise yesterday when I went to the Tracktion website, I saw a new menu item, "Develop" so I clicked on it to have a look. Nice! You guys are not only supporting OS platforms that most other don't but you're also opening up your sound engine!

As someone who has cut a few lines of code over the years, this is really interesting to me. The thought that you guys are now making a development ecosystem around your software is just another reason why I really appreciate what Tracktion does.

One question, are you guys going to allow user code contribution or is the code repository 'read-only'?

Lakad matatag! :)
Making Bitpop music....
Tracktion Waveform 11 under Ubuntu 20.04.
ROC CUbe Ryzen 3400G - 32GB RAM, 2xSSD, Integrated Radeon RC Vega 11 GPU
Yamaha USB Mixing Station, Mackie Reference Monitors & Axiom A.I.R 32 controller.

Looks like fun. I'm particularly interested in looking at the code and structure of such a program.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Thanks! We hope other developers can use this to build audio app of their own. There's lots of exciting ways to utilise the Tracktion Engine.

We do hope developers get involved and contribute. Obviously we'll be the maintainers of it and check everything that goes in (Waveform of course runs on it) so it will be "read only". But the beauty of Git is that you can fork it and have a play without breaking anything in the mainline.

Enjoy!

holy hell!
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

First person to embed Tracktion in emacs wins teh internet. Lisp-bindings only, no UI.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:30 pm First person to embed Tracktion in emacs wins teh internet. Lisp-bindings only, no UI.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Making Bitpop music....
Tracktion Waveform 11 under Ubuntu 20.04.
ROC CUbe Ryzen 3400G - 32GB RAM, 2xSSD, Integrated Radeon RC Vega 11 GPU
Yamaha USB Mixing Station, Mackie Reference Monitors & Axiom A.I.R 32 controller.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:30 pm First person to embed Tracktion in emacs wins teh internet. Lisp-bindings only, no UI.
Someone would have to write a text editor for the Tracktion engine then.

Between Pluginval, the Tracktion engine, and the dev program, it seems like Tracktion is doing some really cool things for the audio dev community as a whole.

When can we write our own devices that show up in the properties area?
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

How does this relate to Waveform itself? By that, I'm essentially asking what is in Waveform that isn't part of the engine and whether there's a way to be running Waveform with a debug build of the engine for bug fixing.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

fromwithin wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:45 am How does this relate to Waveform itself? By that, I'm essentially asking what is in Waveform that isn't part of the engine and whether there's a way to be running Waveform with a debug build of the engine for bug fixing.
Can't remember where I read it - possible in the JUCE forum - but I gather the graphics are separate from the engine and not part of the open source information.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

If you think tracktion engine is good, check out Jules' keynote speech at ADC yesterday ... wowsers
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

jabe wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:23 pm
Can't remember where I read it - possible in the JUCE forum - but I gather the graphics are separate from the engine and not part of the open source information.
I'd expect that, but I would hope that the engine is linked into Waveform as a shared library so that Waveform can be used with a self-compiled engine version. That would allow engine debugging inside Waveform, but it's fiddly to do that and stay cross-platform.

I'm not going to create a new DAW using the Tracktion Engine, but it would be nice to be able to fix some of the bugs that are in the engine itself via Waveform that have done my head in for ages.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

Karbon L. Forms wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:09 pm When can we write our own devices that show up in the properties area?
Is there a strong demand for this? Would it not be easier to simply write a plugin?

fromwithin wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:45 am How does this relate to Waveform itself? By that, I'm essentially asking what is in Waveform that isn't part of the engine and whether there's a way to be running Waveform with a debug build of the engine for bug fixing.
The Engine is about a 3rd of the app at a guess. As Jabe says, it contains no UI code.
It's basically the backbone of the app (what we call the document object model and concrete classes to mutate it) and the audio pipeline code. Waveform then sits on top of that.

Return to “Tracktion”