Calibrating Input Latency Compensation T7

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings,
I just got my Mackie Onyx Artist Audio Interface and currently reading through the T7 Users Guide I found on the Tracktion site, and unfortunately have run into an odd issue..
It states, that if I ever change the the Sample Rate OR the Audio Buffer Size then my new recordings thereafter will be out of alignment with previously recorded tracks due to the inherent latancy of DAW computer recordings...
Thankfully, we have this great feature built into T7 that will calibrate that latency and then make up for the compensation! Excellent, so its just a few easy steps which I followed and have retryed at least a few dozen times with many different tweakings..but have not been able to get T7 to hear the test signal when I auto-detect.
Without a doubt, I must get this to work because I plan to do overdubbing of multi-tracks and inevitably have to change Audio Buffer Size at some point probably during mixing..
So, if anyone has run into this problem and know what it might be or any possible tips would be extremely helpful.
One last thing, I plan to be recording all vocal tracks so I am thinking, I have two inputs, #1 Mic and #2 Line/Inst..on this ONYX Artist. I have been trying this looptest with the #2 Line input considering it shouldn't make a difference which inputs I use since the calibration happens at the cpu level..but maybe I will try this looptest using the #1 Mic input. The only thing is now I have to find an XLR>1/4" cable or an adapter.
Regardless, either way it should be working out of Input #2!
I really am stumped on this one! :)

If you don't have a cable that allows you to loopback audio out back to audio in... Then put headphones on your Mike !

Put phones over the microphone, so the audio out goes through the signal path you will be using in real life when audio-recording !
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Peter Widdicombe wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:40 am If you don't have a cable that allows you to loopback audio out back to audio in... Then put headphones on your Mike !

Put phones over the microphone, so the audio out goes through the signal path you will be using in real life when audio-recording !
:D Peter, thanks for the interesting suggestion. I will definitely be trying this! As for this simple issue...I figured out what I was doing wrong. This Tracktion T7 guide isn't overly detailed in these instructions but hey "it is what it is."
So for future references, the guide states that you must create the loop from an input to an output with any said cable THEN to turn up the gain half-way. Okay, easy enough but duhh! You have to turn the output gain up with it!! :lol: This would be obvious to someone who works in a studio all day but that isn't me..That's why I go by the BOOK.
Yeah I like that idea with the headphones through the mic deal because I am suspecting that there may possibly be a microscopic difference between using a 1/4" Line Loop as opposed to what the Microphone Loop is going to detect..great idea. I will definitely be sure to report my findings since this will probably be extremely excellent information for some people. Rock on Peter.. :clap:

Technically the cabled loopback is probably the best way to go, but it's much cuter and "obvious" to use headphones and a mike, and probably available for most people <grin>.

Don't put any effects in, though, like reverb, echo, even EQ as they will potentially alter the timing somewhat.

Oh, and little quibble. If you cable, it really should be from output (of one process) to an input. Always think that way, and mixers start to make more sense. With Tracktion even more, as the whole process comes from input to output, left to right.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Well, it would turn out there was no differences when using the cable or the headphone/microphone technique..it was the same amount of latency time for both tests, and that was at different sample rates and buffer sizes. They would match up every time. Consistency is a beautiful thing! Anyone reading this needs to know that running these tests before recordings after changing sample rate or buffer size is absolutely necessary, if you want your recordings to be IN TIME..
Well, one for the books... :phones:

Return to “Tracktion”