Plugin Rack is maxing out my cpu with very little going on.

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using the Waveform 9 demo on Linux. It's been going quite well until I started trying to use a Plugin Rack. It's maxing out my cpu when there's barely anything going on. My computer is plenty powerful enough too (Ryzen, 16gb ddr4, ssd etc...).

I've got a Multi Sampler on one track with a couple drum samples loaded. I'm then using midi and step clips on a couple other tracks to trigger the drum samples. This works fine. And that's all that's going on in the project btw.

But I wanted to route each drum sample to its own mixer channel so I followed the official guide to setup a submix and route the audio with a Plugin Rack (linking the same instance to all relevant tracks). This is when the cpu maxes out and I can't get the project to play or do anything.

Is this a bug? I've seen other users mention that submixes are buggy too..? Everything was going so well until I got to this step. I'd really like to carry on evaluating the program but I can't buy it if this issue remains. It's too important for me. Thanks.
Last edited by yehno on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There's a way to see which plug-ins are eating the resource. At the top right are five icons. The second, a circle of timer marks with a number in it, when clicked, will show what percentage of Waveform's total CPU usage is being used by each plug-in. Note that the total is always 100, so any large figures are only a problem if your CPU usage is maxing. As you've already said it is, this might help highlight one or more causing your problem.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Also worth mentioning that Waveform comes with a "freeze point" plug-in which you can insert anywhere among a track's plug-ins, and it freezes all the ones before it, meaning they are not doing all their processing each time you play the song, but just the ones after the freeze point.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Ah yeh, I forgot about that. I think I got it figured out in the end anyway. I think it was to do with some routing I'd done outside of the Plugin Rack. I've come from using FL Studio so I'm just being weird with routing and using multiple midi clips to control the same drum machine haha :P Seems to be working ok now that I've adjusted that!

I'll get back to working on my first song and see how it goes. If this issue comes up again I'll post back.

Btw, off topic, but I just wondered something about a couple of the native Waveform plugins if anyone can help?

1. The 'Compressor / Limter' plugin appears to just be a compressor and not a limiter as far as I can tell. How can I set a ceiling for the limiter?

2. Does the 'Master Mix' plugin have a limiter built into it? It really looks like something that should!

Thanks!

For the compressor/limiter this may help
https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... sorlimiter

The softclip in the Dynamics section of MasterMix controls the soft clip limiter.

Thanks for the info!

Return to “Tracktion”