Waveform 10 - What and when to expect...

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Automation items would be amazing. I'm not quite satisfied with the automation system in Waveform. I think some aspects of it are great, but some are finicky. For example, copying/duplicating/moving automation tends to be tedious. Also, it's often surprisingly tricky to use automation points that are at 100%/0% without changing the clip, or to move automation points when they're intersecting with the In/Out markers.

That said, the process of assigning automations, automation tracks, and some of the automation options are fantastic.

dRowAudio wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:01 pm #1 is an idea we've been toying with, it's just not worked its way up the priority list (there's a lot of things people want from a DAW)

#2 is a nice idea. But is it really essential? If you're doing something that you expect will overload, why not simply add a limiter to the master output? That would save your ears/speakers. I will put it on the FR list though as it's probably not too difficult to add.
#1 - It's great! I am glad that you are quite actively developing your product. Waveform is getting better. :tu:

#2 - The fact of the matter is that sometimes you do not expect that you will begin to fabricate something with sound, experiment, and something may go wrong. It saved me several times when the volume went out of control, especially when playing with special instruments, for example from Glitchmachines. :)
I agree, the limiter to the master or to the track is the best option, but as I said, it is not always possible to predict that the next moment you will suddenly become infatuated with sound design.
Perhaps this is not what should be done in the first place, but it is really cool when there is such protection.

Can you make a way to copy and paste a midi pattern, then make the pattern unique, so that changes only apply to that midi clip and not all midi clips for that pattern? This would be a big time-saver workflow wise. Include more midi editing tools like mute, slicing, drag & drop tools, reversing patterns, just to name a few improvements I think that is needed for this daw to be able to contend with the heavyweights like FL studio, Ableton, and Logic pro. The zoom functions need improvement as well as the overall arrangement in the playlist could also be improved with more tools like those I mentioned for the midi editing. I love thUI of Waveform as it is the best tome of all daws, but until the issues i mentioned above are addressed, I cannot buy this DAW.
DoomTune.com

I think you can do what you're asking for by creating a linked copy of a MIDI clip (drag the "link" button in the clip header), then press the link button to remove it from the group.

There are lots of MIDI editing tools available. If you select some notes and then look in the actions side panel (in W10) or the properties panel at the bottom, you'll see "Transpose", "Quantise", "Apply Groove", "Equalise", "Mirror", "Create Chord" and "Modify Notes". In the "Modify Notes" submenu you have "Legato notes", "Merge notes", "Split notes", "Randomise velocity".

Which covers pretty much everything you've listed apart from reversing.

Return to “Tracktion”