Waveform 10 - What and when to expect...

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:56 pm
dRowAudio wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:22 pm • 3rd party plugins crashing
This is a problem that will rage until the end of time. I don't have a magical fix for this
Plugin sandboxing as in Reaper or Bitwig. At most it means the plugin crashes but it doesn't bring down the host. Make it optional on a per plugin basis so people can quarantine any less stable plugins without overheads on the rest.
Well so far my solution for badly behaved plugins in Waveform is to untick the "show" checkmark in the plugins settings tab. This has been helpful in the cases where a manufacturer's VST3 plugin works, but not their VST2, or vice versa. Or with some that just need to be completely ignored.

In all fairness, it's not just a Tracktion thing. Plugin incompatibilities can happen anywhere. I recently tried to open a support ticket with Ableton for a plugin that was crashing Live, but they would not even consider it, because the plugin was no longer being supported by the 3rd party devs. Ableton support obviously has other priorities besides supporting end of life plugins.

I have reached the conclusion that there will always be occasional plugin incompatibilities with various plugins and certain hosts, so I think it would benefit all if most host developers built in better resilience to bad plugins, such as with automatic sandboxing.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

BushmasterM4 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:32 pm The ability to run Steven Slate Trigger 2 !!! Yes I know, Im a broken record. But every other DAW has ZERO issues with Trigger 2. Yes I have been explained why it wont work in Waveform by Tracktion developers. But hopefully 10 will see Slate and Tracktion devs fix it :)
I really don't get this kind of thing. If you've been told it's a bug in the plugin, talk to the plugin developers, till they fix it. Why waste everybody's time moaning on the host forums, about a bug in a plugin? Because you're right, it is like a broken record.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

What would interest me in Waveform 10 is a dedicated place for metering plugins and some way of working with reference tracks. A lot of plugins do something to that effect but it'd be cool to see such an essential task built in. I doubt it's in the radar, but the Tracktion devs don't seem to shy away from new ideas

Can you elaborate a bit? What would this look like and what are the use cases?

I'll start with reference tracks. The goal is to quickly A/B between reference tracks and my track. In each project, 1. I insert 1-3 tracks 2. Add references to them from the browser 3. Add utility plugins 4. Set the utility plugins to mute (I don't want to mute because I often use global unmute/unsolo all tracks) 5. solo one of the tracks with references 6. Disable the utility plugin to unmute it 7. After I'm done listening to them, I enable the utility plugin and unsolo the track. That's a lot of steps when I want a one-click A/B, AND the reference tracks are affected by any master plugins I use so I have to turn those off before comparing. Obviously I can use a track preset, but it's still a bunch of clicks.

This is a niche that could be filled, and I've seen several similar (Magic AB, REFERENCE, and ADPTR MetricAB). Those plugins have their distinctions, but they all allow you to 1. Load multiple preset reference tracks 2. A/B in one click 3. A/B between several selected reference tracks at once 4. Select specific regions of tracks 5. Normalize or set the references to a specific volume so you aren't thrown off by drastic differences. 6. Store presets of several reference tracks. With presets, you could click your "metal" or "DnB" preset and have your selected reference tracks instead of combing through tracks in a browser.

My thoughts on a dedicated metering section are less coherent. I like the idea of a separate master plugin well for metering or monitoring plugins. Every project, I add a stereo meter, spectrum analyzer, spectrograph, and loudness meter. But I also like to quickly add FX to hear how the mix sounds. Dimming the volume, collapsing to mono, adding HP/BP/LP filters to see how a region sounds, inverting polarity, hearing just mids or sides, etc. And it'd be nice to hide/show all the metering plugins. I use a second screen, and I have to show/hide all my metering plugins individually unless I'm using a rack (which can be laggy with some metering plugins). The monitoring section could also have presets.

The two ideas work well together. Reference tracks should go through metering effects but not master bus effects. If the built in reference track/AB section went through the monitoring well but not the master bus, I wouldn't have to turn off all master bus effects before listening to references. I can't think of any feature like this in any DAW I've used, so I'm not sure if this idea is practical or useful. Obviously I can use track presets, racks, and the master section, so it would just be small workflow tweaks and visual aids. But given that Waveform already has a half dozen things I didn't know I'd need until I used them, it's worth considering.

Wow. Don't think I'll be using the spoon technique, impressive though it sounds. Is it a pro thing all these reference tracks? Mixing other folks stuff? I lo-tech reference by just playing other track in a media player.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Ableton Link support would be fantastic, to better work with mobile. Yes, I know, MIDI timecode, but.... Link is easier and more fully featured.

It's probably the opposite of a pro technique, but it seems to help with some things. I could be using a roundabout jury-rigged solution. But the benefits of having a reference track actually in your DAW are easily looping/cutting sections, applying effects, and metering.

chico.co.uk wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:35 am
BushmasterM4 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:32 pm The ability to run Steven Slate Trigger 2 !!! Yes I know, Im a broken record. But every other DAW has ZERO issues with Trigger 2. Yes I have been explained why it wont work in Waveform by Tracktion developers. But hopefully 10 will see Slate and Tracktion devs fix it :)
I really don't get this kind of thing. If you've been told it's a bug in the plugin, talk to the plugin developers, till they fix it. Why waste everybody's time moaning on the host forums, about a bug in a plugin? Because you're right, it is like a broken record.
Its both a Waveform issue and a Trigger issue. Im not moaning, IM BITCHING !!!, big difference. Pussies moan about shit. And I am far from that !! For the past few years, I have sent support tickets to Slates team and Tracktions. And they both say the other is at fault. Hopefully, if I BITCH (not moan) enough, it may get fixed. You know the saying "The squeaky wheel gets the oil" !! Plus Im not wasting everyones time. Well I guess I wasted your time, because you saw fit to be an asshole. Didnt your momma teach you ??? If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything !!! Have a great day and I hope I didnt waste your time :)

hopefully bitches say something nice one day ^_^

HansP wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:10 pm hopefully bitches say something nice one day ^_^

I know !!!

I would like the patterns generators to work on clips in a track, in addition to presets.
So, you have a monophonic clip (a riff, for instance) and the generator could make it follow the chord track to make a bassline och create chords on another track from it.
This way you don't have to make presets for everything you want the generators to do, but could use any midi clip or something you just entered in a midi track.

Would be great if plugin presets were finally integrated into the browser as they always should have been

Although for me by far the biggest obstacle to using Waveform more has been how glitchy it can be with moderate to high cpu plugins compared to Logic.

Here's my wish list:
Easy stuff
1) Backward and ping-pong sample looping in Multi-sampler.
2) Ability to quickly shut-off inputs & outputs (disable audio engine) on other open project tabs that aren't in focus.
More complicated
3) Easier editing of Midi CC data like finding/altering program changes, etc.
I'm dreaming
4) AM Synth built-in to complement the FM Synth. Socalabs C64 8bit VST is almost there but I can't modify values once a note is playing.
5) VST plugin Windows that open at the correct size under Linux (Known Juce issue)
6) OSC support

I'll be buying W10 regardless but point #1 would really be useful for me. I'd be happy to test W10 in closed beta. You guys know I'm good for bug reporting..... :)
Making Bitpop music....
Tracktion Waveform 11 under Ubuntu 20.04.
ROC CUbe Ryzen 3400G - 32GB RAM, 2xSSD, Integrated Radeon RC Vega 11 GPU
Yamaha USB Mixing Station, Mackie Reference Monitors & Axiom A.I.R 32 controller.

I would also be willing to test W10 in a closed beta for private bug reporting as you guys know I always give detailed reports :)

Return to “Tracktion”