Waveform 10 - What and when to expect...

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Devs,

C'mon tell us what we can expect from Waveform 10. :)
How about a changelog/feature list?
And when can we expect it?

Not only do I want to know but I think it would be great to start generating some buzz about it. I for one, am happy to tweet and other social media post stuff about it. Help me help you! :D :tu:
Making Bitpop music....
Tracktion Waveform 11 under Ubuntu 20.04.
ROC CUbe Ryzen 3400G - 32GB RAM, 2xSSD, Integrated Radeon RC Vega 11 GPU
Yamaha USB Mixing Station, Mackie Reference Monitors & Axiom A.I.R 32 controller.

It'll be February or March. This year we got an early pre-announcement beta to play with.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:07 pm It'll be February or March. This year we got an early pre-announcement beta to play with.
:tu:

Ok, that's the "when" now how about the "what"? :D
Making Bitpop music....
Tracktion Waveform 11 under Ubuntu 20.04.
ROC CUbe Ryzen 3400G - 32GB RAM, 2xSSD, Integrated Radeon RC Vega 11 GPU
Yamaha USB Mixing Station, Mackie Reference Monitors & Axiom A.I.R 32 controller.

Kinda would like or prefer to see a point 5 release for a change , maybe fix some of the crashing problems and plugin compatibility problems folks have had . Just a thought .

fedexnman wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:09 am Kinda would like or prefer to see a point 5 release for a change , maybe fix some of the crashing problems and plugin compatibility problems folks have had . Just a thought .
YES! To hell with new features!!
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

I'm hoping for a clip launcher , sure a man can dream :)

There are ( as with any evolving software ) a lot of bugs needing ironed out obviously.

If we're doing a wish list, I have many thoughts.

Automation could be more fun. Automation feels a bit clunky at times. Too often I struggle to automate points and accidentally click on the in/out markers or the top/bottom of the clip. Also, a way to conveniently automate either discrete parameters (synced LFO rates) or on/off buttons would be amazing, but I haven't seen that in other DAWs.

I'd still love to see submixes "fixed". I like to put multi-track drums in a submix and add effects to the bus, but then I can't render the individual tracks when I'm done with them (unless I pull them out of the submix and render them individually). A lot of things seem to break when submixes are involved.

The chord track is a good idea but the implementation is frustrating. You have to compose in a linear style, because if you change the chord later on, everything you'd done further down the line resets.

Midi editing can be frustrating. The worst is having to click the triplets button by the tempo to switch back and forth to triplets. Also, I used Sibelius and I loved the numpad shortcut system. I've been trying to implement that into Waveform as shortcuts with little success.

Step clips are great except when it comes to using multiple rhythmic divisions. Good luck if you want to add triplets or 16th notes into a step clip that uses quarter notes.

Regardless, I'm excited for Waveform 10.

mikoatkvr wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:39 pm I'm hoping for a clip launcher , sure a man can dream :)

There are ( as with any evolving software ) a lot of bugs needing ironed out obviously.
Yeah, maybe ... StudioOne4 did something close to that with Impact XT being able to launch loops , similar to the way Live launches clips , Kinda similar . I think Dr Octorex ( Reason) is kind of a loop/clip launcher too . I'd like to see something like that where you can launch a loop and it snapps to grid while playing ..

They seem to be delaying the next 9.x.x version. It was suposed to be released almost 3 weeks ago (dRowAudio words...).
I suspect it will be the last 9.x.x version before W10.
I really, REALLY hope they fix all bugs before releasing W10 this time....

scalawag wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:10 pm They seem to be delaying the next 9.x.x version. It was suposed to be released almost 3 weeks ago (dRowAudio words...).
I suspect it will be the last 9.x.x version before W10.
I really, REALLY hope they fix all bugs before releasing W10 this time....
+1

Personally, I'd prefer a new waveform release every 2 years. Give themselves time to sort out bugs that can/have been carried over to new versions, I know they need to generate income, so I would be happy to pay for a big bugfix update halfway through the year.
The every year release model, that has to have new features and bling, must really put a lot of pressure on such a small unit
Windows 10 / Intel core i7 2700k @ 3.50GHz / 16GB Ram / Emu 1212m Sound Card / Ati Radeon HD5400 Series G/Card

+1

Please work on stability, platform compatability, stability, crash resistance, stability, memory usage and stability before doing anything else.

I've tried Waveform many times over the years and I even bought several versions because I really like the concept. But I never build confidence with it because of stability issues and severe bugs. Every new version fixes a lot of things but breaks many other things. Be it the silence bug of Collective, crashes at startup, huge cpu usage out of nowhere and currently unusable plug in windows with 50x0 pixels client size from the Essentials Collection (external plug-ins currently work much better).

So please go through your code and make everything more bug and crash resistant. Add unit tests against regressions, rewrite ancient spaghetti code to modern standards, use safe pointers, array classes and so on. Do whatever is needed.

The best new effect or synth is worth nothing if the host window has a height of 0 pixels and is not resizeable or when the plug in only produces silence after ten seconds.

What he says, but with foul language. In the meantime I'm heading for Bitwig.
Benutzername wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:29 pm +1

Please work on stability, platform compatability, stability, crash resistance, stability, memory usage and stability before doing anything else.

I've tried Waveform many times over the years and I even bought several versions because I really like the concept. But I never build confidence with it because of stability issues and severe bugs. Every new version fixes a lot of things but breaks many other things. Be it the silence bug of Collective, crashes at startup, huge cpu usage out of nowhere and currently unusable plug in windows with 50x0 pixels client size from the Essentials Collection (external plug-ins currently work much better).

So please go through your code and make everything more bug and crash resistant. Add unit tests against regressions, rewrite ancient spaghetti code to modern standards, use safe pointers, array classes and so on. Do whatever is needed.

The best new effect or synth is worth nothing if the host window has a height of 0 pixels and is not resizeable or when the plug in only produces silence after ten seconds.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

I have encountered some consistent crash bugs with Waveform. Certain plugins (StandardClip) consistently cause crashes. Or switch back and forth between audio interfaces/drivers. Or when the "render edit preview after closing edit" option is switched on, rendering edit previews of large tracks will output crazy noises and crash Waveform. So I can second the desire for stability.

I think overall Waveform has great ideas, but it needs to refine the usability. In some areas, other DAWs are more fun to use even though Waveform often has more options. It's still my favorite compared to Live and Reaper, though, so I think it's on a great track (no pun intended) and I support the Tracktion team.

Return to “Tracktion”