Undo History List in W9?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like the multiple levels of undo, but is there a way to see a list of these? Something that was really cool in Sonar was the Undo button could also launch a drop-down menu with a history list of edits and you could select which of these to undo. This way to undo the fifth edit on the list you didn't have to undo edits 1-4.
I searched the manual and couldn't find anything.

That sounds amazing. No idea how difficult it would be to implement, though.

It's not really possible. Undo actions are mostly grouped by time and sometimes have multiple internal actions (for example, changing the start of a clip whilst keeping the contents stationary in time is actually a change of start position, length and offset). It's a bit difficult to break these operations appart.

Also, I'm not sure how useful this is in reality. If you do something you don't like, you undo until it's removed, if you go to far, redo it. It's unlikely you'll be browsing the undo history looking for things you've done that you might want to go back to?

What about just a list or a pop up that shows what you're about to undo? I'd be good with that.

As I described, the way our undo system works, it's not always possible to determine what specific action that is. An undo transaction can be comprised of many different property changes.

I work a lot with Tracktion on a commuter train that's pretty bumpy. Sometimes when trying to edit either my mouse button accidentally clicks or my finger accidentally touches the laptop keyboard and I'm don't know if those accidental clicks/keyboard touches edited something inadvertantly. For those situations an edit history would be nice, but I just save early and often, and can revert to the last saved Edit if needed.

When this question pops up, a very powerful paradigm comes to my mind:
The LOG file of a SQL server. You can roll back in any granularity.

Now for WF10 already some new and possibly incremental autosave system has been announced.

I believe that such an autosave (without a timer) and a more general undo system would be just one functionality to plan and code, with two faces.

A wise data structure would enable one more facility:
When I have worked on the sound in the drum section, and after an hour I think I should not have changed some plugin parameter in the bass track two hours ago, it might become possible to have these changes insulated, and get extracted the previous state of matters in packages.

I think the smartness of the undo functionality is the same thing as the complexity and detail of the incremental autosave.

The connection point might be at the translation from the GUI action to a particular plugin parameter, or a native track or clip parameter.

Anyone tried putting a project folder under Git (or Hg if you're not a sheepoid masochist ;) )? The .tracktionedit files are XML after all. The .tracktion ones are binary, but quite small I think. I believe there are extensions for better handling of binary files.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Karbon L. Forms wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:54 am Anyone tried putting a project folder under Git (or Hg if you're not a sheepoid masochist ;) )? The .tracktionedit files are XML after all. The .tracktion ones are binary, but quite small I think. I believe there are extensions for better handling of binary files.
Just store your projects folders on Dropbox. Dropbox has version history.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

I use Git for all my project data, tracktion, inkscape, KDEnlive - the lot! It works a treat. I also use a Git server so if anything dire should happen to my PC, I have the versioned files as my backup.
I don't know about Hg all that much but Git is pretty efficient with binary blobs, I believe. :)
Making Bitpop music....
Tracktion Waveform 11 under Ubuntu 20.04.
ROC CUbe Ryzen 3400G - 32GB RAM, 2xSSD, Integrated Radeon RC Vega 11 GPU
Yamaha USB Mixing Station, Mackie Reference Monitors & Axiom A.I.R 32 controller.

gavindi wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:06 pm I use Git for all my project data, tracktion, inkscape, KDEnlive - the lot! It works a treat. I also use a Git server so if anything dire should happen to my PC, I have the versioned files as my backup.
I don't know about Hg all that much but Git is pretty efficient with binary blobs, I believe. :)
Can you rollback a historical commit or does TW throw a wobbly?

I've done only a few rollbacks (thankfully) but the few I've done have all been fine. Thinking about it, they are essentially just save files that contain the entire state (just as used in loading) so it's all there once rolled-back.
Making Bitpop music....
Yamaha USB Mixing Station, Mackie Reference Monitors & Axiom A.I.R 32 controller.

Actually, it befuddles me that not more applications that work on multi-project scale don't have Git baked in (hiding/abstracting the geekyness of using Git) to offer version controlled project management to our precious creations.

It would have to be just the bare basics (commit/rollback) though since I could imagine the merging multiple changes to the same project would be a minefield of possibilities! Hahaha :)
Making Bitpop music....

Yeah, I'm talking about yank something from history. I think it's called rebasing in gitland. Say one makes 5 change/saves/commits then delete say #2 using git rebase, I'm wondering if the project would still be consistent. I'd guess not or maybe sometimes. If that worked then there's OPs 'selective undo'. I'd be surprised if the project files could cope with such under-handed trickery. lol

gavindi wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 pm Actually, it befuddles me that not more applications that work on multi-project scale don't have Git baked in (hiding/abstracting the geekyness of using Git) to offer version controlled project management to our precious creations.

It would have to be just the bare basics (commit/rollback) though since I could imagine the merging multiple changes to the same project would be a minefield of possibilities! Hahaha :)
Isn't that what Splice essentially does?

Return to “Tracktion”