Personus Faderport & Waveform

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chico.co.uk wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:48 pm Perhaps HUI isn't analogous to MCU emulation ...
It is not. They are completely different protocols.

Someone reverse-engineered most of it: https://community.musictribe.com/vdgmh2 ... /1/HUI.pdf

OK - little history lesson here based on my time at Mackie

MCU protocol stands for Mackie Control Universal

This was the culmination of the following 3 protocols which were closely related: Mackie Control, Logic Control and HUI (human user interface)

The data is readily available online so manufacturers don’t ‘need’ to sign the free legal contract to adopt the protocol properly

This leads to imperfections in the implementations

Almost all of these are caused by the hardware - the software side is relatively easy - so you should be ragging on the manufacturers that ‘say’ they support the universal protocol, but are not willing to sign up to the legal partnership

It all sounds simple, but the commercial complexities are the root of the problem
Tracktion Software Corporation

I recently got ahold of a Faderport V2. It is the single fader version. It does seem to (mostly) work with Waveform in MCU (Mackie Control Universal) mode.
To enable MCU mode on Faderport V2:

1. Hold down the Next button while powering on the Faderport. Solo, Mute and Arm button will be flashing

2. Press Mute. The buttons will stop flashing and the unit is not in MCU mode.

3. In Setting > MIDI Devices set PreSonus FP2 to enabled for both the Output and Input

4. In Settings > Control Surfaces select Mackie Control Universal. In the properties for this device set the Input Device and Output Device to PreSonus FP2.

There are few weird things:

The Loop button turns click on and off
The Click button turns "scroll when playing" on and off
RTZ doesn't work
The fader doesn't always follow the track selection. It might keep controlling the previous track until you press Solo, Mute, or Arm.

Anyway many of the basic MCU functions are there. It is better than the old Faderport which I could never get to work with Tracktion/Waveform.

fde101 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:55 pm
chico.co.uk wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:48 pm Perhaps HUI isn't analogous to MCU emulation ...
It is not. They are completely different protocols.
Doesn't sound like they are completely different, tbh...
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

wow, there are a lot of faderport questions on here that mostly seem to be dead ends, so I'm resurrecting this slightly old thread since @gigazaga said they got it to work.

I got a faderport (v2/2018) to "work" with Waveform 11.1.0, but I use the term "work" very loosely - it kinda works for a while, and then stops working (often locking up Waveform in the process). So, I'd like to hear if anyone had a better experience (like it sounds like gigazaga did) - this is my experience playing around with it a few hours tonight.
  • Download and run the "Universal Control" application as well, which may want to update your device firmware.
  • to get the device into MCU mode, press and hold the NEXT button while powering on your FaderPort until the lights start to blink, then release next and press the Mute button (italics mine for clarity)
  • now start waveform
  • In settings->"MIDI devices", you should see it listed there for input and output, enable them both.
  • In "Control Surfaces", select it for both input and output for "Mackie Control Universal".
If you're lucky it should be working now (the fader might move). If not, I'd recommend exiting Waveform and trying again (which seems to be the only way to recover when it stops working in general, which happened to me a lot :? )

Once it's working and you're in a project, you should be able to click on tracks with the mouse and use the fader to adjust the level, the fader should also move itself around to match the track level. The mute and solo buttons work, and the transport controls work as well (mostly - as gigazaga noted the mappings are not all correct).

But, that's about it. The next/prev buttons and turning the dial is supposed to select tracks, but on my project it would highlight something (like an output plugin) and not change what the fader was assigned to.

Even then, it was somewhat useful, but eventually it would just stop working entirely and often lock up waveform (spinning circle/not responding). When that happened, powering the device off seemed to get waveform unstuck, then exit, power on, and restart and it would work again.

I did consider I might have a defective product, but I installed Studio One and played some of the sample songs and it worked perfectly (and seeing what it could do was really awesome). But, unless I'm doing something fundamentally wrong in Tracktion I think I'm either going to have to send the device back or switch DAWs.

The lack of guarantee that a controller will work (close to) perfectly in Waveform is a clear minus. I suppose Behringer products should work properly since they seem to have some sort of collaboration, but when I looked at it a while ago I didn't find enough solid info to convince me. Anyway, with the ability to use a touchscreen and quick actions, that seems to be the way to go, if a reliable and not too exensive touchscreen is available.

yeah, I think I'm going to return the faderport and give the Behringer a try, at least they claim to support waveform so it might be possible to get support. I really like the physical fader for mixing.

Return to “Tracktion”