Personus Faderport & Waveform

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dear all - I have just joined and curious to see what Waveform can do for my workflow as an EDM producer. I have come from Logic but some features of waveform are very tempting to jump the ship.

Problem is - My single fader Faderport does not seem to work with Waveform however it can be seen in the Midi and works fine in Logic and Ableton (in Ableton I have to press stop until output button flashes, after pressing output it works - tried same in Waveform as a troubleshooting step but doesn't work)

Tried attaching screenshots but a message says board attachment quota has been reached so, unfortunately, cant show what it looks like in MIDI Waveform however it says in Green enabled and green tick against it.

I am sure I am missing something here and hopefully, you guys can help. Thanks

I think Faderports can do HUI emulation, right? According to this - https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... Pro-Tools-

Try going to the Control Surfaces tab, in settings, select the Mackie Control Universal, and set the input, and possibly output devices to your faderport, see if that helps. I don't have the hardware to test, but have setup a behringer bcf2000 doing something like this, in the past (i forget exactly what steps were required)
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Thank you :) It worked!

So Waveform DOES work with the Presonus Faderport? Do all functions work or are some still incompatible like with Pro Tools? I have both Waveform and Pro Tools 12 and I'm looking for a compact and inexpensive control surface that is compatible with both DAW's. Welcome to Waveform SMRhythm! How do you like it? I am an audio post engineer by trade and always worked in Pro Tools, but I really just started outfitting my home studio. I love Tracktion for all my music production and midi work and Pro Tools for all my a/v projects and complicated mixing scenarios.

Bumping this 3 month old thread. Does anyone have experience with Faderport in Waveform?

Update on this. I got hold of a Faderport. I have tried everything I can think of to make it work in Waveform 9, and no luck. Despite comments earlier in this thread, MCU did not work no matter what I tried (deactivating this, activating that etc.) There is no such thing as HUI emulation, and hasn't ever been in Tracktion. I have successfully configured other controllers with midi learn etc., but with Faderport I got nowhere. I could get some reaction to some controls, but nothing useful. So I have come to the same conclusion as Bill Edstrom: Faderport doesn't work in Tracktion/Waveform.

Has anyone been successful in 2019 using Faderport Classic with Waveform 9? All I can get it to do is fast fast-forward (no audio) and it doesn't stop! I have to close the program.

Is there some reasonably priced product that will allow me to punch in/out with a foot switch compatible with Waveform 9?

I'm not sure. Waveform does allow you to set control surfaces and bind those inputs to commands, but I've had a lot of trouble with it (in my case trying to setup a Novation Launchkey). I haven't been able to set it up properly.

Yeah I've tried assigning the Faderport to various WF commands (Play, Rec., Stop etc) but every button on Faderport seems to give the same MIDI number and definitely does not do the right thing. Thanks for some input.

skipscada wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:08 am Update on this. I got hold of a Faderport. I have tried everything I can think of to make it work in Waveform 9, and no luck. Despite comments earlier in this thread, MCU did not work no matter what I tried (deactivating this, activating that etc.) There is no such thing as HUI emulation, and hasn't ever been in Tracktion. I have successfully configured other controllers with midi learn etc., but with Faderport I got nowhere. I could get some reaction to some controls, but nothing useful. So I have come to the same conclusion as Bill Edstrom: Faderport doesn't work in Tracktion/Waveform.
Didn't see this before. I kind of use "HUI" and "MCU" interchangably, because they were both standards created by Mackie, for their hardware to talk to DAWs, around the time Mackie owned Tracktion. So Tracktion implemented support for their MCU product, and I think of HUI and MCU as being the same thing. Perhaps they're not, but hey ho ...

Waveform supports MCU devices, as control surfaces. Here's some docco from the Faderport site about configuring a faderport to operate in MCU mode. so it sends and receives in that standard ;

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... th-Reaper-

Then in waveform, under settings, control surfaces, point the Mackie Control Universal inputs and Outputs towards your faderport.

Again, I don't have a faderport, to try this, but it works with a BCF2000. Blokey above reckons he got it to work on a faderport.

Thanks so much!. I'll give it a try tonight.

Although ... this might be just on the larger model Faderport 8... hmmm.

It's not clear (to me) whether the Faderport Classic supports MCU emulation. I think it maybe doesn't, just HUI mode, from what I can find, on their support pages. Perhaps HUI isn't analogous to MCU emulation ... anyway, that'd be what I'd try to get going, hope you get somewhere

I know this is a 5 month old thread but curious if anyone has been successful getting the PreSonus Faderport to work in Waveform. I recently got a Faderport 8 and Waveform 10 doesn’t see it in any setup scenario. Even adding it manually, it’s not on the list of available Inputs or outputs. Like the post above I use both Pro Tools and Waveform. I also dabble in Studio One, but find it tougher to do what I wanna do and the interface is extremely dark no matter how much I tweak the preset color schemes. She works great w/PT in HUI mode and even better in Studio One in native mode, But Waveform (Tracktion previously) is the DAW I am most comfortable working in. It was my first “real DAW” and am most familar working within it. Would really love to be able to use my Faderport 8 with it. Tired of the mouse/keyboard Dance and it’s got me using PT more now. So...has anyone figure out a work around/setting that enables it to function in WF ? The FP8 has a couple different options when put in MCU mode. Here’s the choices:
MCU: Cubase, Ableton Live, Logic, Sonar. Haven’t tried all of these optional setting yet myself, wanted to see if anyone has figured it out before I cycle through them all

Lionhardt wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:55 pm Is there some reasonably priced product that will allow me to punch in/out with a foot switch compatible with Waveform 9?
I have a Frontier Design Transport, that can do that. Unfortunately no longer manufactured. Works with W10 and is wireless very handy. One on eBay at the moment. Has worked perfectly with every version of Trackion/ Waveform since T2.
Windows 10 / Intel core i7 2700k @ 3.50GHz / 16GB Ram / Emu 1212m Sound Card / Ati Radeon HD5400 Series G/Card

Return to “Tracktion”