Waves Vocal Rider

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone set up this vst in T6? I can route all backing tracks to one track, and all vocals to another track (a typical sub-mix scenario) but once I have it configured thus, now what?

Insert Vocal Rider as the last plug-in on your vocal or vocal group track.
Send your instrumental tracks, post fader, to a bus, just like a headphone mix.
Set the sidechain input on Vocal Rider to the instrumental bus.

Begin playing your song, then set the Vocal Sensitivity and Attack controls.
Set the Target control by moving the transparent screen to the Vocal range peak.
The main Rider fader will begin to move automatically, leveling your vocal.

Hi, how would I set up the side chain?
Would it be using the fx send to achieve this.
Just purchased the VR for the bargin price of $29.
Thanks in advance.
Windows 10 / Intel core i7 2700k @ 3.50GHz / 16GB Ram / Emu 1212m Sound Card / Ati Radeon HD5400 Series G/Card

I may buy as well, (want to, sick of drawing automation) but wanted to be sure I could use it.

I think there is a drop down list in the upper left side of the vst that offers you bus 1 thru . . . . . ..

But then, are we going to be using the t6 aux sends and returns to create a bus?

Or is this going to be an exercise into the realm of racks?

If you get this figured out, please let me/us know

My first thought was that I would use aux sends. I bought the VR yesterday, and have not had a chance to start trying it out yet. I have visitors up for a few days, and if I disappear into studio, the missus wont be too happy .I've installed the VR into plugin folder and checked it shows up in Waveform.
The only thing I wasn't expecting was that there are 4 VR plugins 2 labeled VR live, 1 x stereo & 1 x mono and 2 labeled VR stereo & mono. As yet not sure what that means.
Hopefully some one on here may have some experience of this plugin and comment.
Windows 10 / Intel core i7 2700k @ 3.50GHz / 16GB Ram / Emu 1212m Sound Card / Ati Radeon HD5400 Series G/Card

I have often heard others say that the side-chain connector pins only show up for the VST3 versions of Waves plug-ins. Unfortunately, VST3 plug-in support in the Tracktion DAWs is not yet reliable.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

tonedef71 wrote:I have often heard others say that the side-chain connector pins only show up for the VST3 versions of Waves plug-ins. Unfortunately, VST3 plug-in support in the Tracktion DAWs is not yet reliable.
It fear you might be right.
The side chain key tab/button is missing from the gui, vst 2 & 3!
Checked with online videos in other daws,and it shows in those.
Still able to use as 1st plugin on vocal track, set range and it will ride the vocal, I guess similar to as if you were riding it manually.
Anyone out there know how to set it to use side chain function, or if its possible in waveform?

Win 8.1

Scan for the VST 3 version of Vocal Rider.
Add it to a track.
Right click it, choose the thing in the picture below.
wave.jpg
Then open the plugin gui, and see the Sidechain input option at the top of the gui.
wave2.JPG
This seems a bit buggy, that it doesn't pick it up until you go and look at the "configure plugin channels" thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Thanks Chico, I did try vst 3 variant. I just expected the side chain stuff to come up, as it seemed to on the videos I had watched. I've
not used vst 3's before.
Will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks for chiming in, much appreciated.

Ok couldn't wait. Got it sorted, thanks again, probably would have never figured that out. :dog:

I think there's a way to get the VST2 version working, but you need to wrap it in a rack, and add an input, if you run into bother with the VST3 one.

Tbh, i've got a bunch of waves plugins recently (not instruments, effects) and i'm not sure whether i'm generally using the VST3 or 2 versions. I'm not noticing a massive difference between the versions, or why I should care which they are. Maybe i'm missing something. I've been getting them when they drop to about $29 on "sale". Nearly got vocal rider, then didn't, just cos spent too much money recently. I'd be interested to hear if you think it's worth getting. The "reviews" on waves site are ridiculous, there's always 90% of them 5 stars for every plugin, people saying "amazing, best thing ever". They've got to be bogus
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Hi Chico,
well I did run into trouble with the Vst3 plug, the edit would not open this morning, the background task meter top right would get to 50% and waveform would crash to desk top. tried to load the edit about 7 times. ended up installing T7 on another computer without any plugins, deleted VR, went back to waveform and edit opened fine.
If you do any vocal work, I definitely think its worth having especially at $29, just using the vst2 without side chain, on a vocal track worked well, I would hazard a guess that is reacting much faster than I could, when I manually ride the fader. Also very interesting watching what it did, when it was at work.

I don't use or scan for vst3 plugs normally, mainly because of the comments here on KVR about them not playing nice in Tracktion/Waveform.
I will have a look at your suggestion re vst2 and rack.
cheers

[quote="terrynoakes]
The only thing I wasn't expecting was that there are 4 VR plugins 2 labeled VR live, 1 x stereo & 1 x mono and 2 labeled VR stereo & mono. As yet not sure what that means.
Hopefully some one on here may have some experience of this plugin and comment.[/quote]

The live version are for using while recording because they have a lower cpu and latency than the other version.

The mono versions will be more up front in your face.(suitable for main vocals)

The stereo versions will be wider and having mid side (m/s) control witch will allow to to mix in mid side mode after the signal pass thru the plug-in.
(Suitable for backing vocals and effects)

(Note the mono versions will have no side information and the level meters
in Waveform will indicate a mono signal by having no black line or dividing the left and right channel
With a equal max peak for both channels at all times. While the stereo versions will have the divider that separate the left and right channel.)

Thanks for the info Lay it :tu:

chico.co.uk wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:20 pm Scan for the VST 3 version of Vocal Rider.
Add it to a track.
Right click it, choose the thing in the picture below.

wave.jpg

Then open the plugin gui, and see the Sidechain input option at the top of the gui.

wave2.JPG

This seems a bit buggy, that it doesn't pick it up until you go and look at the "configure plugin channels" thing.
I tried this in Waveform 9 and haven't gotten it to work---"Configure plugin channels -> Input buses -> mono in" only shows "Mono" as an option, and the Sidechain doesn't show up in the gui. I'm definitely using the VST3 version and the aux send seems to be working (tested with a reverb plugin), though I've never used one before. (Put Aux Send plugin to right of volume for track being sent from, put Aux Return to left of Vocal Rider plugin, made sure Aux Return was receiving from the Aux Send bus.) Here's a screenshot:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Two additional notes:

Vocal Rider sidechain is working for me in Bitwig 2, though I only got it to work after adding the Waves folder to my library, which provided an additional set of the plugins in the library. Doing the same in Waveform didn't help. Neither did changing from Vocal Rider Mono to Vocal Rider Stereo.

Return to “Tracktion”