GUI is very slow on macOS, please improve

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

just found out that I hot a Waveform license in my Roli account. So I am very amazed now about the new features in Waveform.

But I have one elementary problem: The GUI is slow. I mean reeeeally slow. Though I am using a quite powerful Mac, fast nvidia graphics, Retina screen, recent macOS.

Is it possible that the developers could heavily improve the GUI speed? For me it is so slow that I cannot work with it. Is it possible Tracktion will reach a smooth 60Hz framerate one day? :hyper: This DAW is so amazing, it deserves a high framerate.

As a stop-gap measure, if you right click on the Waveform file in the applications folder, and select 'Get Info', you can check a box to open Waveform in low resolution. Things will be a bit blurrier, but the interface elements are much more responsive. (At least on my 2017 iMac). I had to do the same thing in Reaper.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Waveform 11 Pro/Studio One Pro 3.5

that's weird, in my case, i have been using Waveform since V4, and the GUI is very fluid
Quad Core | 16GB DDR4 | 240 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD | FLStudio ASIO | 1 GB Video | W10 x64

It seems like there's an issue with 4k monitors / displays, from some recent user reports. If you're not using a 4k display, there doesn't seem to be a problem. As far as I can tell.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

I have the same Problem. The GUI, especially the Meters, running very slow on my Mac. Admittedly, my iMac is not the newest, it's a late 2009 27inch with i7-Processor and 24GB DDR3 RAM. I also upgradet the Harddrive to SSD. Waveform 8 should work properly with this Hardware. It works without Problems on my Windows-PC with nearly the same Hardware. So what's the Problem with the Mac-Version?
I don’t speak English, but this very well :D

Are you using a 4k display or not?

No. I‘m using the built in iMac Display. No second Screen

By the way, could it be, that the GUI Performance depends on the used Audio-Hardware?
I'm using the Yamaha AG-06 USB Audiointerface.

Just an Idea, but maybe a relevant Information to figure out the Problem ...

Disconnect it, use in-built audio, see if it's any better.

Ok. I will check this out.
Feedback follows.

With in-built audio it works a bit better, but still not optimal. The Audio Signalflow are processed correctly, without any latency or crackling Sound, only the GUI reacts too slow.
I have no further ideas.

For testing i create a comparable Project in Cubase AI. It causes a higher CPU load, but works fluently.

My Project in Waveform:
32 Audio Tracks at 44.1khz sampling rate, with EQ and Compressor Plugins from DAW-Essentials.
(Originally the Project have 42 Audio Tracks, but for comparative purposes I reduced the number of tracks, because Cubase AI supports max. 32 Audio Tracks)

As mentioned, on MacOS 4K systems, opening Waveform in low-res is basically required. (In my case, not doing so also has a dramatic negative impact on audio performance at low latencies.) When this was first brought up, I believe the Tracktion developers noted they didn’t have a Mac 4K monitor in the dev/test machine mix, but I’m not sure if that has now changed, or if the same thing happens on 4K monitors in Windows...).

On the plus side, I don’t think the appearance really suffers that badly on my 27 iMac.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Waveform 11 Pro/Studio One Pro 3.5

I figured it out. :)

The problems caused by my installed RAM. A few years ago, i installed more RAM. Originally the iMac has 16GB, additionally I installed 8GB more.
The additional RAM is 1067Mhz, while the existing runs on 1333Mhz.
i7 Procsessors require 1333Mhz, otherwise the system running on less Speed.

I did not notice that all the time.
Everything is fine now :) :)

Greetings to the Tracktion-Team, it was not your fault ....
Thanks Michael

I also have a problem with the super slow GUI, it is horrible to work with a medium project, and more if it is big. to this day, it is still bothering me, I do not know which software to go to since I need fluid work, I work every day.

Can you grab the latest beta of Waveform, 9.3.6, available from your downloads area.
That has some performance tweaks for 4/5K Displays.

You should also enable the "Use Low Detail Interface" setting.
It basically removes some of the gradients etc. so isn't hugely visually different but can improve performance on these screens with huge numbers of pixels.

Return to “Tracktion”