Example of audio editing weakness in Tracktion

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bungle wrote:
jens wrote:
bungle wrote:this is achieved by separating the edit cursor from the playback cursor
I think that's asking a bit much - if you'd instead ask for an option (perhaps via key-modifier) to split at the mouse-cursor instead of Tracktion's position-cursor, your request might be a bit more realistic.
Erm split at mouse cursor instead of play cursor is the literal definition of separating edit cursor from play cursor ?
Nope - the way you worded it, it sounded like you were asking for the implementation of a seperate edit cursor.
as e.g. Reaper has it.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

bungle wrote:
chico.co.uk wrote:
bungle wrote:Please stop replying to me, i said i would leave, no need to reply, I had hoped for updates on Tracktion since v1, probably been buying it longer than most here, i already said i will no longer post or buy Tracktion, this place is nothing like it was and never will be, complaints and suggestions are met with hostility and sexual swear words.
Literally the worst user forum here at KVR, and probably the reason Tracktion is never mentioned anywhere outside of here.
If complaints are dealt with like this, Tracktion is finally done.
Oh, just f**k off.
And this is the level of user is it ?
For someone who's leaving, you're doing a whole lot of hanging around.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

jens wrote:
bungle wrote:this is achieved by separating the edit cursor from the playback cursor
I think that's asking a bit much - if you'd instead ask for an option (perhaps via key-modifier) to split at the mouse-cursor instead of Tracktion's position-cursor, your request might be a bit more realistic.
This is actually a lot more achievable and a good like of thinking...
I'm a little hesitant because I've not coded it up but I imagine this could be done with some (currently non-existant) macros. E.g.

Code: Select all

// Warning pseudocode, this won't current work
var pos = Tracktion.getMouseCursorPosition();
var snappedPos = Tracktion.snapTime (pos);
Tracktion.splitSelectedClipsAtTime (snappedPos);
With that, I think you should be able to do everything the OP asked for.
(The only remaining problem then is that you wouldn't actually be able to see where your cut will be taking place before you've made it).

The fact that the waveforms don't display when the clips are a certain width is probably simply an old graphics optimisation. For example, if you zoom your whole Edit out then small clips will contain a large amount of time and may end up and fairly solid blocks.
We could improve this and either relax the size limit to show waveforms or perhaps make it time-based rather than size (e.g. if the clip is less than 30px and the resolution is less than 0.5s/px or something like that).

dRowAudio wrote: This is actually a lot more achievable and a good like of thinking...
I'm a little hesitant because I've not coded it up but I imagine this could be done with some (currently non-existant) macros. E.g.

// Warning pseudocode, this won't current work
var snappedPos = Tracktion.snapTime (pos);
Tracktion.splitSelectedClipsAtTime (snappedPos);
With that, I think you should be able to do everything the OP asked for.
(The only remaining problem then is that you wouldn't actually be able to see where your cut will be taking place before you've made it).

If this is happening, any chance you could add

startpos = Tracktion.getMouseCursorPositionAtDragStart();
endpos = Tracktion.getMouseCursorPositionAtDragEnd();

type functionality too? So we can create macros which let us do ProTools 'Selector Tool' -ish things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4Njsg4J1k
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

At dbRowAudio : Thinking about this a little bit more, is there any way we get get some 'scratchpad' memory for scripts. They're pretty much stateless themselves, relying on the state of Tracktion itself, but there's a few things useful that could be done if a script could get/set some variables that were maintained between instantiations of the script.

The reason I wondered is because it'd then let you have do things like create mark in/out points (or the selections Im talking about) backwards or forwards from the cursor to the previous mark in/out position in only one new mousebutton click, based on a remembered mouse position.

// Warning pseudocode, this won't current work either
global var Scratchpad_oldPos;
if (pos > Scratchpad_oldPos){
//
   Tracktion.markIn(pos);
   Tracktion.markOut(Scratchpad_oldPos);
}
else{
   Tracktion.markIn(Scratchpad_oldPos);
   Tracktion.markOut(oldPos);
}
Scratchpad_oldPos = oldPos;
Another example; if you could use a variable as a counter across instances, you could rename selected clips sequentially whenever its applied (say you've already done ten, then it'd do clip_11, clip_12, clip_13)

(As an extension of that, per-project variables which could be serialized into the Edit file might be useful too.)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

chico.co.uk wrote:
bungle wrote:
chico.co.uk wrote:
bungle wrote:Please stop replying to me, i said i would leave, no need to reply, I had hoped for updates on Tracktion since v1, probably been buying it longer than most here, i already said i will no longer post or buy Tracktion, this place is nothing like it was and never will be, complaints and suggestions are met with hostility and sexual swear words.
Literally the worst user forum here at KVR, and probably the reason Tracktion is never mentioned anywhere outside of here.
If complaints are dealt with like this, Tracktion is finally done.
Oh, just f**k off.
And this is the level of user is it ?
For someone who's leaving, you're doing a whole lot of hanging around.
Do you do anything but act like a ten year old child ?
Go and swear in the corner for ten minutes, cheer yourself up
Duh

jens wrote:
bungle wrote:
jens wrote:
Erm split at mouse cursor instead of play cursor is the literal definition of separating edit cursor from play cursor ?
Nope - the way you worded it, it sounded like you were asking for the implementation of a seperate edit cursor.
as e.g. Reaper has it.
Erm no, the edit target or edit cursor, or even mouse pointer if it is used for editing is all the same thing, a cursor is a cursor no matter what you call it, and i never actually mentioned Reaper once.
Duh

dRowAudio wrote:(The only remaining problem then is that you wouldn't actually be able to see where your cut will be taking place before you've made it).

The fact that the waveforms don't display when the clips are a certain width is probably simply an old graphics optimisation. For example, if you zoom your whole Edit out then small clips will contain a large amount of time and may end up and fairly solid blocks.
We could improve this and either relax the size limit to show waveforms or perhaps make it time-based rather than size (e.g. if the clip is less than 30px and the resolution is less than 0.5s/px or something like that).
Not being able to see where you are editing would make it a pointless endeavour, but nobody else even wants it, so don't worry about it, as for the block being too small to show anything, as shown in the image it is plenty big enough to show a drum hit, but again, it effects nobody else, so don't worry about it.

There really is no point working on things like this if they are not common place or even needed, like was stated i should just f**k off
Duh

bungle wrote:Not being able to see where you are editing would make it a pointless endeavour, but nobody else even wants it, so don't worry about it, as for the block being too small to show anything, as shown in the image it is plenty big enough to show a drum hit, but again, it effects nobody else, so don't worry about it.

There really is no point working on things like this if they are not common place or even needed, like was stated i should just f**k off
Oh. grow up. The devs have been nothing but polite to you, one of them has now come forward to offer a possible solution to your problem and you just throw it in their face. You're obviously one of these people whose not intelligent enough to distinguish between people on the forum, the product and the developers.

I've already stated in another reply that we are all quite happy to see new features, that's why we're happy about the new version but you have to be realistic. Software development is immensely time consuming. The devs have to make decisions about whether to add new features or modify existing ones and they chose to add new ones which I think was the right decision as they will make Waveform far more attractive to potential users. I'm sure over time the dev's will address some of the usability issues but give them a chance. Your claim that your requests are simple fixes obviously isn't true. It may require a complete rewrite of the editing functionality to achieve it. It might be a six month project but you want it right now.

The arguments on this thread all stem from the heavy handed way you went about this. Your first post at "Tried returning to Tracktion or whatever it is now called", simply looked like an anti Tracktion rant and product bashing. There was no tact, no politeness, no attempt to praise some of the good new features. It just looked like you threw your toys out of the pram because certain things didn't suit you. If you'd approached it tactfully, suggested changes in a polite and friendly way and praised some of the new features none of this would have happened. You want to play the injured party whilst refusing to admit that there may have been anything wrong with the way you went about things.

If you've been using Tracktion since version one, and if you like Tracktion then why this attitude? If you want to support something you do it positively, you don't go about it in a way that is damaging. I wonder how many potential users you put off with your initial comments? The devs must get sick and tired of putting in thousands of hours of work only to have people come along and behave like you. Before you approach things like this, think about the work that goes in to these things and remember that this is someone's business. As I said, grow up.

And here we go again, another essay starting out with personal attacks, not intelligent enough now am i ?
Really ? The developers of Tracktion actually find this behaviour acceptable do they ?
Duh

bungle wrote:And here we go again, another essay starting out with personal attacks, not intelligent enough now am i ?
Really ? The developers of Tracktion actually find this behaviour acceptable do they ?
I think you're a troll and the devs should close this and the other thread you started immediately.

bungle wrote: The developers of Tracktion actually find this behaviour acceptable do they ?
I also start to wonder whether you are not just a troll, but if you aren't then let me please tell you that you will be hard-pressed to find anyone who would find your behaviour here any acceptable. Now of course you might actually have a mental handicap which falls into the autistic spectrum (in which case I honestly am really really sorry for what I wrote in the other thread) but if you don't... well, what else could I say? :shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

dRowAudio wrote:Yes, we understand the use cases for this kind of thing, it's just that Tracktion was originally created to simplify DAWs and avoid having to worry about snap resolution, independent playback and cursors, selection and loop regions etc. Obviously simplifying these kinds of things reduces flexibility in other areas.

I can say, as we progress we are looking in to these kinds of issues and as our user base grows we know there are more requirements to be met. We of course want to keep the Tracktion ethos so it's about finding an elegant way to do these things.
+1
Windows 10 and too many plugins

@bungle

First, thanks for taking the time to put the original post together.

Second, before storming off consider what drow said. He didn't say that your use cases would never be addressed. Quite the opposite. They are aware of the need to address more requirements as the user base increases....they just want to do so creatively and in the "TSC" way.

Third, I don't think (early on anyway) that anyone was telling you "tough luck, get lost", but I can understand how you could feel that way. Don't confuse some members' posts with TSCs. This is one of the better forums for actually reaching and informing the developers.

FWIW, I empathize. There are a few things that I would like to see added that would greatly help my workflow and expand the number of things that I turn to Waveform to do. I used to agitate for them. But then I realized that I was sort of missing the point. I HAVE things that already do that stuff in other DAWs that I am really comfortable in. Waveform however does stuff that I don't have elsewhere, and its "zeitgeist" helps me to "think different" about creative solutions. THAT'S what I focus on...exploit its strengths.

And lastly, everybody notch back the vitriol and hyperbole please. None of us would be here if we didn't care about Waveform. Although your posts have an edge to them (something for you to consider), all should assume innocence before typing a response.

Anyway, I hope you stick around. Folks like you can help to push the envelope.

George N.
iMacPro 1,1 | 64gb | OSX 10.15.7
http://www.gesslr.com
http://www.storyaudio.com

gesslr wrote: None of us would be here if we didn't care about Waveform.

Except Bungle of course, who just said in another thread of his here that "there is literally nothing that Tracktion can do other than the project screen (Which i never even liked) that Reaper can't do"... :shrug:

Besides not a single one of the numerous advices and suggestion people here made and gave were any good enough for him - not a single one. He dissed everything for all of his stay here. It never looked like he was ever interested at all in finding a way to use Waveform as it is right now.

Return to “Tracktion”