Melodyne tips

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wanted to confirm that the same process works in OSX. (In my case for Melodyne Editor 2).

When I removed the component version from /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components, (and I'd check for a vst in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST as well) leaving only the VST3 version in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3, everything is working fine in T7.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Waveform 11 Pro/Studio One Pro 3.5

I have timing issues when using Melodyne Essential 4 in T7 (Mac) loading as the original post gives as a "Tip". As the aglorithm. It works great as a plugin and using the transfer switch etc. What am I missing or doing wrong here ?

Captngeetch wrote:I have timing issues when using Melodyne Essential 4 in T7 (Mac) loading as the original post gives as a "Tip". As the aglorithm. It works great as a plugin and using the transfer switch etc. What am I missing or doing wrong here ?

Could it be that melodyne is detecting a different tempo to the daw (T7) and behaving accordingly (when used as the time stretching algorithm).

Change the tempo (in melodyne) by clicking in the tempo options box (picture of chains in the tool bar area) and choose the option "use the tempo grid from the daw" or "set constant tempo grid".

This solved my problem when i did not understand why the vocals were falling behind. This was in melodyne studio 4 on a mac.

Stanevie wrote:
Captngeetch wrote:I have timing issues when using Melodyne Essential 4 in T7 (Mac) loading as the original post gives as a "Tip". As the aglorithm. It works great as a plugin and using the transfer switch etc. What am I missing or doing wrong here ?

Could it be that melodyne is detecting a different tempo to the daw (T7) and behaving accordingly (when used as the time stretching algorithm).

Change the tempo (in melodyne) by clicking in the tempo options box (picture of chains in the tool bar area) and choose the option "use the tempo grid from the daw" or "set constant tempo grid".

This solved my problem when i did not understand why the vocals were falling behind. This was in melodyne studio 4 on a mac.
Awesome...that fixed it..appreciate the reply ! Just for the record and for others who might stumble upon this issue. It the version of Melodyne Essential that came as part of purchasing T7, click the Tempo options button just to the left of the tool buttons and the menu will pop up. By default it is set to "Use the tempo grid detected by Melodyne". Odd though, The track I was working n had three vocal tracks and after changing two of them,the third came up correctly set to "Use tempo grid from the DAW". Also, after making the change the button becomes inactive and unless you remove Melodyne and reinsert you can't change the option again, not that you would need to...just thought I would mention it. Regardless, I will be sure to check it on every track I apply it to in the future.

Thanx again !

Tried copying/duplicating tracks with Melodyne enabled on them, but the copied/duped tracks don't show the edits I made; had to go back and redo the same pitch editing process on the duped tracks. Anyone know a solution?

The track has to be rendered first. Melodyne is basically just an effect applied to the track, so when exported before being rendered it will be just the dry track. At least that has been my experience with it. You can open Melodyne in stand alone mode, import the audio and apply the correction. Then there is no need to use Melodyne in your session on that track. I usually do it this way when I have a ton of plugins on a particular session..helps to save cpu processing power.

Captngeetch wrote:The track has to be rendered first. Melodyne is basically just an effect applied to the track, so when exported before being rendered it will be just the dry track. At least that has been my experience with it. You can open Melodyne in stand alone mode, import the audio and apply the correction. Then there is no need to use Melodyne in your session on that track. I usually do it this way when I have a ton of plugins on a particular session..helps to save cpu processing power.
Great tips! Thanks for the help. :tu:

I don't know if anybody else has had this particular problem, but...

My music computer died and I had to get a new one, so I had to reinstall Tracktion and my copy of Melodyne Studio, as well as everything else. Once I did, I found that the Melodyne plugin would not display properly. I couldn't see the full window under any circumstances; specifically, the zoom and scrolling controls on the bottom and the right could not be accessed. However, the standalone Melodyne was fine.

I tried disabling/re-enabling display scaling; didn't help. The one thing that worked was to right-click the Tracktion executable, go to Compatibility, and run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode (I also checked "Run as administrator," though that might not have been necessary.) Having done this, I could now see the full plugin window, though the type in the plugin was pretty small.

FWIW, I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with Tracktion 7.2.1 64-bit on a 3840 by 2160 display.

I may be the only person with this issue, but if I'm not, here's something to try before you tear all your hair out.
Win10 Pro 64, Clevo P750DM3, i7-7700, 32GB, nVidia GTX1060, 500GB/500GB/1TB SSD, PreSonus Quantum 2 Thunderbolt, Waveform 10

Melodyne upgrades are on a 60% sale right now, just bumped mine up to studio, very pleased with it so far

Whatever you do, don't press Ctrl-Z to undo a mistake. Melodyne doesn't recognize it. Waveform does and the last thing it thinks I did was add Melodyne to the clip.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:45 pm Whatever you do, don't press Ctrl-Z to undo a mistake. Melodyne doesn't recognize it. Waveform does and the last thing it thinks I did was add Melodyne to the clip.
Ouch, this is extremely true and a quick way to lose a lot of work. There's no re-do option, either.

On the plus side, it's a mistake you won't make more than once or twice. Save frequently!
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Just using Melodyne for the first time, in Waveform Pro 11.5...maybe I'm missing something. I want to use it strictly for pitch correction. But it completely changes (screws up) the timing of any track I apply it to. These are pure audio tracks, not synchronized to a beat in Waveform. But so what, I just want to keep the timing and adjust a few pitches. What am I missing? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've tried to find answers in the Melodyne documentation too.

It definitely should not be affecting timing. Drag Melodyne into your plugins, well after any EQ or compression so you get the best signal into it. Double click on Melodyne to open its view window. Press "transfer" in Melodyne, then press play in Waveform. Melodyne will import your original audio track into itself. When done, click stop in Waveform. Give Melodyne a second or two, and then it will remap your audio into pitches. You can drag these up or down, or use one of the quick macros to edit everything more or less at once.

Probably easier for you to watch a short video on YouTube because it's easier than I make it sound.

Hey, thanks for this! The documentation from Tracktion--and the advice I got from Tracktion support yesterday--says to activate Melodyne by selecting it as an option in the "Stretch" property. They don't mention just putting it in the signal chain like a regular plug-in. Following your advice, I get the results I expect!

Glad I could help. Melodyne is a crazy tool, capable of way more than pitch correction. Have fun and do whatever you can with it, andcwhatever you do, don't hit control+z!

Return to “Tracktion”