Bank and program change control

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't find this anywhere, and it's curious that no mention of it is made in any manual. So it must be obviously simple, and yet I can't figure out how to do it in Waveform 9.

How does one issue a specific bank change above bank 16?

Newer hardware synth offer thousands of programs, and I need a way to issue specific higher-number changes.

Within Waveform 9, I can issue a coarse bank change (cc#0) and a fine bank change (cc#32) in a clip. But there's no way to put in a program change without stipulating a bank as well, from 001 to 016, which limits me to General MIDI programs only.

How do I enter a coarse bank change, a fine bank change, and a program-only change number? For example, 061-005-047, to get to bank 60, subset 5, patch 48? With Waveform 9, the obvious method only gets me the GM Timpani sound.

Maybe this is a feature request, too, to let me set--at the track level, not per clip only--a MSB, a LSB, and a program number all together as a single string?

Or is this something that's been there forever and is staring me right in the face?
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Looks like I missed a step.

Evidently, I need to turn off "send bank-change message on program change."

Then, I'm able to send the coarse and fine message of my choice...followed by a "bank 1" change. Seems to be working.

Is this right?

Should it be? That seems byzantine. I think there should be a much easier way to change one sound in a track or clip without having to turn off the bank change option, insert a coarse controller change, a fine controller change, and then a program change.

Again, maybe a direct way to enter in a MSB, LSB, and program number by right clicking on the "set program" box in the track. Thoughts? Am I over-complicating?

Not sure if I'm getting this right, but if I add either Bank change or Bank change (fine) via the Controllers option on the MIDI editor, it allows me values 0-127 on each. Subsequent Program Changes only appear to be for Bank 1, however, so I can't be getting that quite right.

Mind you, I'm trying to work it out from a MIDI page in a manual from a 34 year old synth...
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Right, Jabe.

Here's what it looks like I have to do...

1. Create a MIDI clip.
2. Turn off the "send back-change message" option
3. Open the clip.
4. Insert a control change #0, and drag the slider up or down to the coarse bank number I need.
5. Insert a control change #32, and drag the slider up or down to the fine bank number.
6. Insert a program change, bank 1, and drag the patch number up or down. As the bank number is now ignored, this seems to work.
7. Click on the CC#0 slider and set the time for 000.
8. Click on the CC#32 slider and set the time for 002.
9. Click on the program change and set the time for 004, just to ensure the commands get to the hardware in the right sequence.
10. Repeat steps 1-9 for each channel.

This seems to be working.

Here's how I did it back in 1990, on a DOS-run MIDI sequencer:

1. Select the track.
2. Change the channel number.
3. Select the program change, and enter in the MSB, LSB, and program number.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 for each channel.

There's got to be an easier way in Waveform, and I seem to be missing something obvious and, unfortunately, undocumented.

There is a much simpler and very efficient solution:

Use the reaPlugins from reaper DAW. These plugins can be downloaded for free <www.> reaper.fm/reaplugs/ The come as 32 and 64 bits

There is the ReaControlMIDI-standalone plugin that you can simply insert into the plugin chain. Then you can easyly select the Programm / Bank MSB LSB. You can even create your own Instrument maps.

(Btw: Unfortunately this plugin doesnt work directly with my MIxcraft 8, because it is encoded as a vst-Effect (and not instrument). But for Tracktion/Waveform this is irrelevant,)

Hmmm.... haven't tried yet, but looks like a nice little collection of tools; although Tracktion already includes some of these. Interesting MIDI transformations, though.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Return to “Tracktion”