Acoustica: Errors with big files

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm getting errors and crashes when I try to load or save very big files (over ~10GB).

Simple way to reproduce for saving:
1. Tools -> Insert Silence -> 192kHz, 2 channels -> 12000 seconds (3h 20min)
2. Save in 24bit as either WAV, FLAC or W64
Result: WAV and FLAC produce an error and a crash of Acoustica. W64 produces an error only.
I know that WAV (officially) doesn't support files bigger than 4GB, but it should still fail more gracefully rather than crash the application.
FLAC and W64 however do support big files AFAIK and they shouldn't fail. (They do work with a slightly shorter duration, like 10000 seconds or 2h 46min).

When I try to open a 15GB W64 file that was made in another program I also get a crash.
Opening a similarly sized FLAC file freezes Acoustica, maybe it would open eventually, but I gave up waiting after half an hour.

Windows 7, 64bit

Thanks for reporting this issue. Which version of Acoustica do you have installed? Do you use the 32 or the 64 bit version? I tried to reproduce this with the latest official version, but it seems to work fine. If you save WAV files over 4 GB, they will be stored with the RF64 extension. The FLAC file produced is small, btw. (5 MB here) with over three hours of silence at 96 kHz. Also, if you can reproduce the crashing, could you please send us the crash report?

Best,
Stian

Acoustica Premium 7.1.16, 64bit. I can reproduce the crashes every time. Keep in mind the sample rate has to be 192kHz, it doesn't crash with 96kHz. Well, it can be 96k, but then it needs to be twice as long (24000 seconds). Oh and bit depth doesn't actually matter, it crashes with all of them, except 32bit float which produces a different error.
I could also send you the crash report, but I can't locate it (I don't use an email client, so nothing gets opened).

Mr. Stian, I hope that this can help: I have reproduced the steps specified by Logga, and I have also got crashes when saving in either WAV or FLAC format.

I have just sent you by e-mail the two crash reports. My computer, with a Intel Xeon processor and 32 Gb of memory, runs on Windows 10 Professional with all the latest updates. Acoustica Premium is version 7.1.16.

Regards,

Paulo

My Windows 10 Professional is 64-bit, and so is Acoustica Premium 7.1.16.

Paulo

Thank you very much for testing, Paulo. I'm sorry, Logga -- I didn't see that you wrote 192 kHz as sampling rate. The error occurred when the number of samples was higher than 2^32, but the file size wasn't the problem. We've fixed this now and the next update will solve this issue. Thanks again for you patience and sorry for not being able to follow the very clear instructions...

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”