Acoustica Premium 7.1.1 - vertical zoom in the sprectrogram

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mr. Stian,

I refer to Acoustica Premium 7.1.1, running on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

About the vertical zoom in Acoustica: In each channel, this zooming seems to work always around a fixed horizontal line, keeping that horizontal line fixed in the window. When we are in the waveform window, that fixed line is naturally the central horizontal line in the channel window, that is, the minus infinity line.

But when we are in the spectrogram window, for each channel, the vertical zoom seems still to work around the central horizontal line of the channel, which is some line at approximately 3200 Hz in the Mel scale, or at approximately 11000 Hz in a linear scale.

In the spectrogram, keeping the central line fixed seems to be quite an unnatural behaviour to me. Why would someone be generally interested in zooming around 3200 Hz (in the default Mel scale)? In my case, whenever I use the vertical zoom I am generally interested in what happens with the audio at the lowest frequencies, to see something about hum, or the bass line, or less frequently about fundamental frequencies in the piano keyboard range (< about 4000 Hz). After zooming, a scroll is always necessary to see the lower part of the spectrogram.

So, my question: is there any definite reason why the vertical zoom on the spectrogram window is performed around the central horizontal line of the channel? Has that central line been defined as the fixed line in a deliberate way? Or is this behaviour just an automatic legacy of the vertical zooming in the waveform window?

In other words, what should be the most proper fixed line for the vertical zoom in the spectrogram? Shouldn't maybe the vertical zoom, more properly, be configured so as to keep the bottommost 0 Hz fixed? In that way, the vertical zoom would always present to the user the lower part of the spectrogram, at different degrees of magnification. Then, an upward scroll would only be necessary if the user is interested in the upper portions of the spectrogram.

Regards,

Paulo

Yes, the zoom point is, as you assume, inherited from the wave form view. I agree that the lower frequency range is probably of most interest and I've added an entry in our tracking system for this.

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”