Restoration Suite: gain compensation?

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I have just bought Acon Digital Restoration Suite and I am really very happy with it. Excellent quality (and very good GUI)! It will be my first choice from now on. Just a question: I need to adjust output gain manually in the DAW after the plug-ins, since it seems that there is not any manual or automatic control for doing that inside them, right? Is this a choice by design?
I would probably appreciate the introduction of a sort of gain compensation. Thank you for this fabulous plug-in and for your advice.

Hello!
XComposer wrote:Hello, I have just bought Acon Digital Restoration Suite and I am really very happy with it. Excellent quality (and very good GUI)! It will be my first choice from now on. Just a question: I need to adjust output gain manually in the DAW after the plug-ins, since it seems that there is not any manual or automatic control for doing that inside them, right? Is this a choice by design?
I would probably appreciate the introduction of a sort of gain compensation. Thank you for this fabulous plug-in and for your advice.
Thank you very much for the kind words! There's no automatic gain compensation in the Restoration Suite plug-ins. Ideally, they shouldn't really affect the loudness except for DeClip where you can reduce the input level and output levels to increase the headroom for the de-clipper to do it's work. Are you experiencing loudness changes? If yes, which of the four plug-ins did you have this problem with?

Best,
Stian

It was DeNoise, but not used properly (my fault). You are right: it was my first attempt at using DeClick and DeNoise (with DeNoise placed after DeClick). I was working on a file with an impressive amount of crackling, clicks and noise (a very old historical piano recording from the beginning of the 20th century) and I was (erroneously) trying to use "Adaptive Broadband" on DeNoise instead of using "Learn from noise only" (which, as I later realized soon, is much better in this case) and, moreover, I was not using properly the "Freeze noise profile" function.
Moreover, I was comparing your DeNoise to another product (RX6 Voice De-noise) which has an internal manual gain compensation and this comparison was confusing me.

Now I see that, by using the plug-in properly (in this case: "Learn from noise only" and then "Freeze noise profile") a gain compensation is not really necessary (apart from the fact that, just in case of real need, in the future I could always put a simple Gain plug-in in my effects chain after DeNoise, would it be really necessary). Perhaps it could be a nice addition, just in case, but I see now that it is not necessary.

By the way: in my experiments, I obtained much better results by putting DeClick first, then DeNoise after it (which seems logical to me), do you agree?

Hi!
XComposer wrote:It was DeNoise, but not used properly (my fault). You are right: it was my first attempt at using DeClick and DeNoise (with DeNoise placed after DeClick). I was working on a file with an impressive amount of crackling, clicks and noise (a very old historical piano recording from the beginning of the 20th century) and I was (erroneously) trying to use "Adaptive Broadband" on DeNoise instead of using "Learn from noise only" (which, as I later realized soon, is much better in this case) and, moreover, I was not using properly the "Freeze noise profile" function.
Moreover, I was comparing your DeNoise to another product (RX6 Voice De-noise) which has an internal manual gain compensation and this comparison was confusing me.

Now I see that, by using the plug-in properly (in this case: "Learn from noise only" and then "Freeze noise profile") a gain compensation is not really necessary (apart from the fact that, just in case of real need, in the future I could always put a simple Gain plug-in in my effects chain after DeNoise, would it be really necessary). Perhaps it could be a nice addition, just in case, but I see now that it is not necessary.

By the way: in my experiments, I obtained much better results by putting DeClick first, then DeNoise after it (which seems logical to me), do you agree?
Thanks, I'm glad you got the level issue sorted out. :) I definitely agree about the order of the processors. DeClip, DeClick, DeHum and DeNoise last is our recommended order. DeNoise will make it harder for both DeClick and DeClip to work as intended.

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”