Acoustica Premium 7.0.56 - Loudness Meter: questions

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mr. Stian,

I refer to Acoustica Premium 7.0.56, running on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

1. In the Loudness Meter, for both momentary and short term loudness, there are two readings, one which seems the actual measurement, and to the right another reading in parenthesis, which changes only rarely as the audio file plays. Why two readings in each case? What is the meaning of the right one in parenthesis? The Help file about the Loudness Meter could maybe include some words about that.

2. In the Help file concerning the Loudness Meter, we read this explanation about the Loudness Range:

Loudness Range (LU) The loudness range is a measure for the loudness variance over time. Rapidly changing levels will result in a higher loudness range measurement.

I wonder whether this explanation is correct. The point is, it seems to me that the Loudness Range intends to measure the extension, the range, of the loudness during some time period (which period?). The extension or range, as I understand, is a measure, somehow, of the difference between the loudest and the softest parts of the audio in that period. I have consulted the EBU Tech 3342 document about the Loudness Range, which says that the Loudness Range is a function of the statistical distribution of loudness, which excludes momentary peaks in loudness.

It seems that to "change rapidly" is not what matters, what does matter is the extension of the changes, it is whether small or large overall changes have occurred in the given period, peaks excluded.

I would like just to know whether the explanation presented in the Help file correctly describes the Loudness Range, or whether I misunderstand something.

Thank you. Regards,

Paulo

Hi Paulo,
Paulo-Brazil wrote:1. In the Loudness Meter, for both momentary and short term loudness, there are two readings, one which seems the actual measurement, and to the right another reading in parenthesis, which changes only rarely as the audio file plays. Why two readings in each case? What is the meaning of the right one in parenthesis? The Help file about the Loudness Meter could maybe include some words about that.
Yes, that seems to be missing in the help. Thanks for pointing that out. The values in parenthesis are the maximum values encountered.
Paulo-Brazil wrote:2. In the Help file concerning the Loudness Meter, we read this explanation about the Loudness Range:

Loudness Range (LU) TThe loudness range is a measure for the loudness variance over time. Rapidly changing levels will result in a higher loudness range measurement.

I wonder whether this explanation is correct. The point is, it seems to me that the Loudness Range intends to measure the extension, the range, of the loudness during some time period (which period?). The extension or range, as I understand, is a measure, somehow, of the difference between the loudest and the softest parts of the audio in that period. I have consulted the EBU Tech 3342 document about the Loudness Range, which says that the Loudness Range is a function of the statistical distribution of loudness, which excludes momentary peaks in loudness.

It seems that to "change rapidly" is not what matters, what does matter is the extension of the changes, it is whether small or large overall changes have occurred in the given period, peaks excluded.

I would like just to know whether the explanation presented in the Help file correctly describes the Loudness Range, or whether I misunderstand something.
Thanks, you're absolutely right. The explanation is misleading and I've updated the help accordingly.

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”